Fire Department Squeals

  • briandguth
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2011
      In listening to my local fire department dispatch, I sometimes hear the alarms or high pitched frequencies before they announce a call.

      Is there any setting on the scanner that eliminates these sounds?

      Any an all assistance is appreciated.
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2011
        Nope. Those are tone-outs or station alerts, most likely and unfortunately you're stuck with it.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2011
          The short answer is: No.

          The tones you hear are designed to open receivers that monitor the
          frequency, but do not pass the audio to the speaker until those tones
          are received. (what your scanner calls "Fire Tone-Out")

          The alerts you hear are designed to get the attention of those who are
          monitoring the frequency.

          You could try using the CTCSS/CDCSS feature (if the frequency in
          question uses it), but most dispatching centers transmit the CTCSS/CDCSS
          along with the tones even though they are not supposed to do that.

          You could also try the Data Skip feature, but then you would likely miss
          any of the dispatch calls if you listen to any significant number of
          channels, as that feature causes the scanner to resume scanning. And you
          would still hear part of the tones.

          Joe M.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 19, 2011
            MCH and Jeff,