Re: [BCD396XT] WV Statewide Interoperable Radio Network (SIRN) - Digital scanner only?

  • danny r
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 15, 2011
      Thanks for your reply.  I looked up FDMA and it says: "FDMA can be used with both analog and digital signal."
      Or was it something else on that line that made me know it digital?

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency-division_multiple_access

      --Danny
      dannypa_27@...
      http://danny.lookscool.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 15, 2011
        UPMan,

        Never mind.  It seems its the project 25 that is digital only.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_25

        Makes me wonder how much use the BCD346XT trunking ability can be used.

        Well, Least now I know I was getting use out of my digital BCD396 after all.  On the bad side, I'm going to give the 200 dollars back to the women I bought the 346 for, so I got a 200 dollar paper weight on my hands.  Hopefully, I can sell or return.

        Thanks for your help.

        --Danny
        dannypa_27@...
        http://danny.lookscool.com

        ________________________________

        2. The below line means that it is digital:
        System Type:Project 25 Phase I (FDMA)

        UPMan

        >________________________________

      • Yuni T. Runker
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 15, 2011
          The line below that reads ...

          System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

          ... is another clue it's digital.

          > >http://www.sirn.wv.gov/Pages/default.aspx
          > >http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4076

        • thesparkens
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 23, 2011
            Danny, when you go to the WV Statewide system in the RR Database and you are on the systems talk group page the top header shows in this order DEC,HEX, MODE , Alpha Tags,Description in blue. If you click on the header named "MODE" it will give you a pop up list of that abbreviation and all others the letter "D" stands for digital

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, danny r <dannypa_27@...> wrote:

            > I'm a BCD396XT owner.  I pick up the WV Statewide Interoperable Radio Network (SIRN) with no problem.  I advised someone to get the BCD346XT, and tried to put (SIRN) into it, thinking it was trunked but not digital.
            >
            > However, seems it is digital, as I can't load it in.  On RR it didn't mention it being digital (just trunked) and when my scanner scans it, I never noticed it given me any indication it was decoding a digital signal.
            >
            > Below is 2 links, to (SIRN).  One being there homepage and the other radio reference homepage on SIRN.
            >
            > http://www.sirn.wv.gov/Pages/default.aspx
            > http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4076
            >
            > My question is 2 parts:
            > 1. Is it for sure that (SIRN) can only be picked up by a digital scanner (trunking is NOT good enough)?
            > 2. How would I have knew that, either by the RR database webpage and/or my scanner (BCD396XT).
            >
            > Any help is greatly appreciated.
            >
            > --danny

          • Jess
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2012
              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, danny r <dannypa_27@...> wrote:

              > I'm a BCD396XT owner.  I pick up the WV Statewide Interoperable Radio Network (SIRN) with no problem.  I advised someone to get the BCD346XT, and tried to put (SIRN) into it, thinking it was trunked but not digital.
              >
              > However, seems it is digital, as I can't load it in.  On RR it didn't mention it being digital (just trunked) and when my scanner scans it, I never noticed it given me any indication it was decoding a digital signal.
              >
              > Below is 2 links, to (SIRN).  One being there homepage and the other radio reference homepage on SIRN.
              >
              > http://www.sirn.wv.gov/Pages/default.aspx
              > http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4076
              >
              > My question is 2 parts:
              > 1. Is it for sure that (SIRN) can only be picked up by a digital scanner (trunking is NOT good enough)?
              > 2. How would I have knew that, either by the RR database webpage and/or my scanner (BCD396XT).
              >
              > Any help is greatly appreciated.
              >
              > --danny

              The WV Statewide Interoperability Radio Network
              (SIRN) is indeed a Digital Trunking System.

              Jess (Bubba1661) RadioReference WV DB Admin
            • Don Curtis
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2012
                It is an APCO P25 system which is digital. And yes, the Radio Reference link you posted also says it's digital.