Re: [BCD396XT] Uniden will introduce it's new Digital Handheld Scanner next year 2012

  • David Johnson
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 2, 2011
      Agreed. I imported my 396XT, but a friend told me 6 months ago that
      Uniden were planning to start bringing the XT into Australia. Digital
      scanners weren't really popular in Australia because the police P25
      transmissions are all encrypted. Now, the NSW government is switching
      to a P25 Government Radio Network, digital transmissions are getting
      more popular and there is a demand for a quality digital scanner.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 01/11/2011, at 7:50, MCH <mch@...> wrote:

      > Reading more, I bet it's the international version of the BCD396XT. I
      > think Australia is still selling their version of the BCD396T (AKA the
      > UBCD396T) as a current product.
      >
      > Uniden makes a lot of scanners. You can't assume all of them are USA
      > models. (or new from our perspective)
      >
      > Joe M.
      >
      > MCH wrote:
      >> If that's the case, I wonder if they are talking about the HP-1 (or the
      >> international version of it).
      >>
      >> Joe M.
      >>
      >> Uniden UPMan wrote:
      >>> Uniden America has announced no such model. I think you are reading Uniden Australia Facebook pages.
      >>>

      >>> UPMan

    • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 2, 2011
        At 05:57 AM 11/3/2011, you wrote:
        >Agreed. I imported my 396XT, but a friend told me 6 months ago that
        >Uniden were planning to start bringing the XT into Australia. Digital
        >scanners weren't really popular in Australia because the police P25
        >transmissions are all encrypted. Now, the NSW government is switching
        >to a P25 Government Radio Network, digital transmissions are getting
        >more popular and there is a demand for a quality digital scanner.

        I also imported my 396XT, and I agree, there will be a market for P25
        scanners in Australia in the not too distant future. In Victoria,
        the CFA will be one of the drawcards for P25 listeners, when their
        radio network goes P25 in the next few years.

        73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
        http://vkradio.com
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 15, 2011
        • Frank Cardenas
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
            *This is for Australia only!!*

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
              Looks like there will be a new USA model, but not digital.

              <<http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/225939-bc125at-new-scanner-announcement.html>>

              Joe M.

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
                The radio has a gap from 380-399.995

                Makes no sense, being this is still within the UHF Mil band 225-400mhz.

                The top part of the band is active...especially at air shows...

                This could be easily changed in firmware before the radio is released...

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
                  No, that is the new trunking band. It's no longer MilAir.

                  Joe M.

                  Lance wrote:
                  > The radio has a gap from 380-399.995
                  >
                  > Makes no sense, being this is still within the UHF Mil band 225-400mhz.
                  >
                  > The top part of the band is active...especially at air shows...
                  >
                  > This could be easily changed in firmware before the radio is released...
                  >

                  > On Nov 16, 2011, at 2:47 PM, MCH wrote:
                  >
                  >> Looks like there will be a new USA model, but not digital.
                  >>
                  >> <<http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/225939-bc125at-new-scanner-announcement.html>>
                  >>
                  >> Joe M.
                  >>
                  >> Frank Cardenas wrote:
                  >>> *This is for Australia only!!*

                • Jerry Mader
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
                    so does that mean we won't be able to scan these or?
                    And how can we fix it so if public safety agencies decide to use these they
                    can be scanned can't we just use the band plan editor in free scan or
                    something like that to just open them up or?

                    _____

                    <mailto:mtnbiker2005ipn%40sbcglobal.net> >wrote:

                    <http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150378493757655&set=a.95066767654.
                    88955.92508157654&type=1> &set=a.95066767654.88955.92508157654&type=1

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
                      The only way public safety could be in this region is if they are operating
                      on a mil trunked system. Mute point since those systems are ALL P25 trunked
                      and this won't be digital. As for airshows they will be moving those
                      frequencies out of this range so that shouldn't be an issue either.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
                        It's still going to be shared by all the existing military aircraft...including the F-35 lightning.

                        Unless Rockwell or Honeywell change their designs for the future, pilots will still be able to transmit 380.00-399.975mhz...

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
                          It's defined within the firmware that runs the radio...

                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
                            BC125AT - Yahoogroup
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BC125AT/

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
                              They may be able to, but they will have no channel allocations there.
                              So, effectively they would be transmitting out of their band.

                              It's not going to be a shared band.

                              Joe M.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
                                Joe,

                                Are you aware a VHF radio in an F-16 can transmit 116.00-151.975mhz?

                                This implies "Sharing" of the spectrum...

                                Here's some of the comments from the Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Army regarding their concerns over reallocation of 225-400mhz band.

                                From NTIA:

                                Currently the Federal Government through, the Federal Wireless Policy Committee (FWPC), the Federal Wireless Users Forum (FWUF), the Federal Law Enforcement Wireless Users Group (FLEWUG), and the Federal Wireless Review Office (FWRO), are examining the entire range of Federal use of wireless services, including the land mobile radio services. These groups are working to ensure that the emerging wireless services satisfy Government functional requirements. It is also the responsibility of these groups to ensure that Federal users of wireless services can smoothly transition to more spectrum efficient, interoperable, and cost-effective digital technologies.

                                The 225-400 MHz band is allocated and used for military fixed and mobile communications, military mobile-satellite communications, aeronautical radionavigation functions, and radio astronomy observations. The Preliminary Report provided an overview of the Federal use of the band for fixed, mobile and satellite applications. DOD stated that the 225-400 MHz band is the single most critical spectrum resource of the military tactical forces. There are estimated to be over 75,000 Federal air-to-ground and ground-to-air radio equipments alone operating in this band. This does not include mobile-satellite equipments and backbone point-to-point capabilities, such as the Army's Mobile Subscriber Equipment (MSE) system. DOD reports that extensive peacetime training and alert exercises using these equipments are conducted at military bases throughout the United States to maintain combat readiness. DOD asserts that the military use of this frequency spectrum is predicated on the same technical reasons as the non-Federal users: low atmospheric and foliage penetration losses, availability of inexpensive components, and the ability to use short whip antennas for omni coverage by hand-held units.[EN 82]

                                Navy states that by their very nature ships and aircraft are very crowded which results in considerable cosite problems that require all the frequency flexibility available to accommodate their requirements in this band. "Aboard ship the intermodulation products inevitably caused by exposure of metallic joints to salt spray combined with the requirement for dozens of UHF communications nets presents a major problem which has been the focus of major efforts for the past 30 years."[EN 83] Navy further states that the need to take these effects into account while various forces shift their tactical relationships and missions on a real-time basis has required a major effort to develop spectrum management programs for task force commanders. Navy contends that any reduction in the 225-400 MHz band available for this spectrum management will have serious consequences in training and operational capability, particularly in joint exercises and operations, such as Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

                                Subsequent to release of the Preliminary Report, DOD provided further amplification on use of this band.[EN 84] Reports from numerous military commands throughout the country expressed concern that loss of access to portions of this band would cause severe spectrum crowding in the remaining portions, leading to significantly increased training costs, degradation of command and control, and possible safety concerns. However, DOD stressed that the most serious factors affecting reallocation are the extensive use of radios having the HAVEQUICK II frequency hopping architecture, mobile-satellite communications, and backbone point-to-point transportable capabilities. Air Force further states that other uses of this spectrum include support of critical missile and Expendable Launch Vehicle (ELV) launch operations, test range telemetry, remote control of targets, communications supporting Air Defense Sectors, reliable training communications, and support of the President of the United States.

                                Air Force states that the HAVEQUICK family of radios is extensively deployed by the military services in a wide variety of fighter, tanker, close air support, reconnaissance, and bomber aircraft. Typical functions include approach/departure control at military airfields, air-to-air re-fueling operations, vectoring of fighter aircraft to engage hostile threats, and coordination between strike aircraft. Air Force reports that over 15,000 units are in their current inventory. The HAVEQUICK II radios have the capability of frequency hopping across many individual frequencies over the 225-400 MHz band. Air Force states that this basic architecture is necessary to provide two fundamental aspects that enhance the electronic countermeasures (ECM) resistance of frequency hopping radios: a large number of channels and a wide spread in the bandwidth covered by those channels. Air Force adds, "Interoperability between equipments is mandatory and frequency hopping radios must have the capability to hop on the same frequencies and under the control of a master clock."[EN 86] To maintain the necessary interoperability, Air Force asserts that all of the HAVEQUICK radios would have to be returned for reprogramming. Based on the conversion of HQI to HQII, Air Force maintains that such reprogramming is very costly and time consuming.[EN 87] Air Force indicates that to allow communications to continue while the modification is in progress, the modified radios must retain both the old and new capability until a specified change-over date. Existing radios without space for two sets of control software must be discarded. DOD expressed further concern over the loss of the anti-jam capability inherent to the HAVEQUICK II radios that would result from any loss of access to the full band. Reported costs from the various military commands that would result from reallocating any portion of the 225-400 MHz band total well over $1 billion.

                                The Air Force Satellite Communications System (AFSATCOM) and Milstar Satellite Communications System use the 225-400 MHz band, including the 380-400 MHz band segment, to provide survivable, jam-resistant communications for strategic and tactical military over the horizon requirements. Examples include communications to base from aircraft flying close to the ground to avoid hostile radar, over the ocean connectivity with cargo aircraft, extraction of personnel from areas far from friendly forces, and quick communications establishment with National authorities at the start of and during humanitarian missions. DOD reports that if reallocation of any portion of the 225-400 MHz band occurred, AFSATCOM and Milstar systems users would be subjected to interference from non-Federal users, severely reducing the usefulness of critical communications during certain missions. Air Force adds that the on-orbit and in storage satellites cannot be retuned and military missions must still be performed. In addition to unavoidable interference to non-Federal users, DOD investment in equipment estimated at over $1 billion would be jeopardized.

                                Army states that they are the primary user of line-of-sight multichannel radios in the 225-400 MHz band that are integrated as part of a theater wide network. Army uses these radios for terrestrial communications linking the functional areas of communications, command and control, intelligence, air defense, artillery fire support, aviation support, and logistical support. Army further states that this portion of the spectrum is critical to land force dominance.

                                From the preceeding discussion it can be seen that the 225-400 MHz band is crowded with many disparate kinds of military telecommunications systems. These systems are able to work in the same environment at the same time due to disciplined users operating in a hierarchical command structure, an acknowledgment by users that interference will occur, and a highly structured military spectrum management system. DOD believes that none of these conditions necessarily exist for non-Federal users. At the very least, military use of this spectrum indicates that sharing by dissimilar services is a possibility worth considering. As directed by Congress, NTIA has initiated a strategic planning program to develop long-term spectrum planning. The first effort of the strategic planning program will identify the long-term spectrum requirements of both the Federal agencies and the non-Federal users. The long-range spectrum requirements identified below 1 GHz will be considered together with various spectrum management options, and as necssary, reallocation decisions will be made.

                                Furthermore, the FCC has been directed by Congress to identify the spectrum needs of the public-safety agencies, and to report its findings to Congress. In response to this Congressional mandate, on February 9, 1995, the FCC released the "Spectrum Needs through the Year 2010" report. NTIA, as well as, the Federal wireless working groups (e.g., FLEWUG, FWPC, and FWRO) will consider these spectrum needs in their long-term spectrum planning programs.

                                ---

                                From NTIA Ch. 4, USA Allocation is on the right hand column:

                                Seems shared, interoperability...

                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 17, 2011
                                  It appears much of that information is outdated, and some even appears
                                  to be a response to the proposed (at the time) reallocation of the 380
                                  MHz band to Federal trunking systems.

                                  As for radio capabilities, are you aware that the Wolfsburg radios used
                                  in many aircraft can transmit on any public safety frequency (and
                                  virtually any frequency). That does not mean the VHF public safety band
                                  is shared with aircraft. Virtually any business radio can be programmed
                                  on ham frequencies. That does not mean the ham bands are shared with
                                  business users.

                                  The point is that just because someone has a radio that *can* transmit
                                  somewhere does not mean they are legally allowed to transmit there. I
                                  will also add the caveat that in military operations, they can (and
                                  likely do) use any frequency across the entire spectrum - regardless of
                                  the legal allocations.

                                  Early on there was question about the MilAir users in the 380-400 MHz
                                  range, and it was stated that these users would be moved to the
                                  remaining MilAir spectrum (225-380 MHz). In fact, it's been some time
                                  since I can recall hearing MilAir users on 380-400 MHz. Not saying there
                                  are not some still there, but they should be moving so as not to cause
                                  interference to the new users of that band segment.

                                  Joe M.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 17, 2011
                                    Correct spelling is Wulfsberg. That's one of those
                                    names I can never seem to remember how to spell.

                                    Joe M.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 17, 2011
                                      On Nov 17, 2011, at 4:42 AM, MCH wrote:

                                      > It appears much of that information is outdated, and some even appears
                                      > to be a response to the proposed (at the time) reallocation of the 380
                                      > MHz band to Federal trunking systems.

                                      The date on the allocation chart is a year old.

                                      > As for radio capabilities, are you aware that the Wolfsburg radios used
                                      > in many aircraft can transmit on any public safety frequency (and
                                      > virtually any frequency). That does not mean the VHF public safety band
                                      > is shared with aircraft. Virtually any business radio can be programmed
                                      > on ham frequencies. That does not mean the ham bands are shared with
                                      > business users.

                                      Yes Joe, I'm aware of that radio. I have been around Air Attack (Air Tanker lead aircraft) utilized by the CDF.
                                      I think the word "shared" is a semantic issue here.

                                      > The point is that just because someone has a radio that *can* transmit
                                      > somewhere does not mean they are legally allowed to transmit there. I
                                      > will also add the caveat that in military operations, they can (and
                                      > likely do) use any frequency across the entire spectrum - regardless of
                                      > the legal allocations.

                                      Yes, that was my point in bringing up the F-16 UHF radio.

                                      Obviously, we both understand, my point was intraoperability was a partial solution to such
                                      an involved and diverse use of the UHF P-Band. The Kenwood NX-8000 mobile radio will
                                      TX/RX in Digital mode either 6.25 or 12.5khz to fulfill Narrow Band requirements. Military
                                      Aircraft radio's most granular tuning is 25khz. This is an example of intraoperability within
                                      380-400mhz.

                                      > Early on there was question about the MilAir users in the 380-400 MHz
                                      > range, and it was stated that these users would be moved to the
                                      > remaining MilAir spectrum (225-380 MHz). In fact, it's been some time
                                      > since I can recall hearing MilAir users on 380-400 MHz. Not saying there
                                      > are not some still there, but they should be moving so as not to cause
                                      > interference to the new users of that band segment.

                                      Show me the NTIA Redbook section(s) or a document that reads the final outcome of this dilemma, the reallocation of
                                      the P-band, as to resolve this question.

                                      The last two airshows I attended with fellow radio users was in October. At both shows, the common UHF Demo Freq. which falls
                                      within the 380-400mhz was still being used...not sure what part of the country you reside in, or how much of your hobby is
                                      devoted to listen to P-Band coms, however, I continue to hear activity in the reallocated band. UHF AM along side newer federal trunk systems.

                                      Send me links of the final outcome. Thanks.

                                      -Lance

> [...]
                                      > > arious spectrum management options, and as necssary, reallocation decisions will be made.
                                      > >
                                      > > Furthermore, the FCC has been directed by Congress to identify the spectrum needs of the public-safety agencies, and to report its findings to Congress. In response to this Congressional mandate, on February 9, 1995, the FCC released the "Spectrum Needs through the Year 2010" report. NTIA, as well as, the Federal wireless working groups (e.g., FLEWUG, FWPC, and FWRO) will consider these spectrum needs in their long-term spectrum planning programs.
                                      > >
                                      > > ---
                                      > >
                                      > >>From NTIA Ch. 4, USA Allocation is on the right hand column:
                                      > >

                                      > > Seems shared, interoperability...
                                      > >

                                      > > On Nov 16, 2011, at 8:02 PM, MCH wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > >> They may be able to, but they will have no channel allocations there.
                                      > >> So, effectively they would be transmitting out of their band.

                                    • George
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 17, 2011
                                        I believe the change was directed by MCEB-M-001-04 Annex G of 1 April 2004.
                                        There was also an August 2001 SecDef memo. The entire 380-399.9 band became
                                        DOD Land Mobile. Everything is supposed to be P25, 12.5 kHz or less.

                                        George KD4UKH

> [...]

                                        Congress. In response to this Congressional mandate, on February 9, 1995,
                                        the FCC released the "Spectrum Needs through the Year 2010" report. NTIA, as
                                        well as, the Federal wireless working groups (e.g., FLEWUG, FWPC, and FWRO)
                                        will consider these spectrum needs in their long-term spectrum planning
                                        programs.

                                        > > ---
                                        > >
                                        > >>From NTIA Ch. 4, USA Allocation is on the right hand column:
                                        > >

                                        > > Seems shared, interoperability...
                                        > >

                                        > > On Nov 16, 2011, at 8:02 PM, MCH wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > >> They may be able to, but they will have no channel allocations there.
                                        > >> So, effectively they would be transmitting out of their band.
                                        > >>
                                        > >> It's not going to be a shared band.
                                        > >>
                                        > >> Joe M.

                                        aircraft...including the F-35 lightning.

                                        pilots will still be able to transmit 380.00-399.975mhz...

                                        11/16/11 02:34:00