FREESCAN "locked" file

  • V. Singh, MBA, RPhT
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
      I am trying to upload my Freescan programming to myself via gmail.
      However, gmail is not allowing me to attach it. It looks like the "lock"
      that is on the file is the problem since the only files I can see are the 2
      that don't have this lock icon. How do I get rid of this lock? Please
      advise.

      Thanks,
      Singh, AJ4VS

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
        Not sure it has anything to do with the file. GMAIL likely does not like
        the extension. Try zipping the file and attach it to your email, then
        unzip it once you retrieve it.

        Joe M.

        V. Singh, MBA, RPhT wrote:
        > I am trying to upload my Freescan programming to myself via gmail.
        > However, gmail is not allowing me to attach it. It looks like the "lock"
        > that is on the file is the problem since the only files I can see are the 2
        > that don't have this lock icon. How do I get rid of this lock? Please
        > advise.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Singh, AJ4VS

      • David Klippel
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
          Is Freescan still running when you are trying to attach the file to
          gmail? If so try closing Freescan before attaching the file so that it
          is not in use/open.
        • V. Singh, MBA, RPhT
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
            good idea, but no, that's not it. I am attaching a screenshot of the
            files. As you can see, one file is without this lock. That's the only file
            that I'm able to uplaod.

            On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 9:58 PM, MCH <mch@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Not sure it has anything to do with the file. GMAIL likely does not like
            > the extension. Try zipping the file and attach it to your email, then
            > unzip it once you retrieve it.
            >
            > Joe M.
            >
            > V. Singh, MBA, RPhT wrote:
            > > I am trying to upload my Freescan programming to myself via gmail.
            > > However, gmail is not allowing me to attach it. It looks like the "lock"
            > > that is on the file is the problem since the only files I can see are
            > the 2
            > > that don't have this lock icon. How do I get rid of this lock? Please
            > > advise.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Singh, AJ4VS

            > 03:34:00

          • V. Singh, MBA, RPhT
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
              also good idea, but no luck with that idea...

              On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 9:58 PM, David Klippel <david@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Is Freescan still running when you are trying to attach the file to
              > gmail? If so try closing Freescan before attaching the file so that it
              > is not in use/open.

            • V. Singh, MBA, RPhT
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                nevermind...it wasn't a freescan issue, it was a win7 issue. thanks again
                for the suggestions and help

                On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 9:58 PM, David Klippel <david@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Is Freescan still running when you are trying to attach the file to
                > gmail? If so try closing Freescan before attaching the file so that it
                > is not in use/open.

              • Clark Rennie
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                  Maybe the answer is at this Gmail URL
                  http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590

                  Clark

                  At 06:53 PM 11/1/2011, you wrote:

                  >I am trying to upload my Freescan programming to myself via gmail.
                  > However, gmail is not allowing me to attach it. It looks like the "lock"
                  >that is on the file is the problem since the only files I can see are the 2
                  >that don't have this lock icon. How do I get rid of this lock? Please
                  >advise.
                  >
                  >Thanks,
                  >Singh, AJ4VS
                • Tim Matthews
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                    If Gmail is blocking the upload because of the extension, try changing the
                    extension so that it can be sent. Then change it back when received.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                      Try closing out FreeScan, and then rename the extension of the file to .123

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
                        What exactly was the issue?

                        Joe M.

                        V. Singh, MBA, RPhT wrote:
                        > nevermind...it wasn't a freescan issue, it was a win7 issue. thanks again
                        > for the suggestions and help
                        >

                        > On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 9:58 PM, David Klippel <david@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> **
                        >>

                        >> Is Freescan still running when you are trying to attach the file to
                        >> gmail? If so try closing Freescan before attaching the file so that it
                        >> is not in use/open.

                      • V. Singh, MBA, RPhT
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
                          I researched the file itself further via the explorer. Turns out the file
                          was not actually in the folder I was looking for it, but Win7 "appeared to
                          have" placed it there when I accessed it via FreeScan because of the
                          similar *.996 file extension.

                          As it turns out, the file was ACTUALLY in my wirelessly networked drive in
                          my den and I was accessing it through another PC. When I realized that, it
                          was a simple matter of copying the file from the networked drive to the
                          local machine to allow full access.