RE: [BCD396XT] Can these radios be seen by others?

  • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 27, 2011
      At 02:48 AM 10/28/2011, you wrote:
      >Sometimes, people need a reminder that others have the capability to monitor
      >them and there are alternate ways of sharing info. They cannot tell if they
      >are being received with certainty. I was a security officer/dispatcher on a
      >college campus for 2 1/2 years. Sensitive information was best handled by
      >phone or in person. Not over the air. As a ham, our ARES group knows that
      >everyone with a.scanner has the capability to receive us. The only
      >exceptions are packet communications and digital voice like D-STAR. We
      >maintain professionalism because we know people can hear hams.

      I'm in the volunteer fire service here. Not only do we expect people
      to be listening to our traffic, it's a well known and accepted fact
      which is considered beneficial. Many volunteers have scanners or
      other receivers for listening to our transmissions. In addition,
      members of the public, especially in smaller communities rely on
      monitoring fire traffic to keep up with any emergencies in their
      area. As a result, it is well known that the radio is not the place
      to transmit confidential information, and that telephone or other
      means should be used for this purpose.

      73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
      http://vkradio.com