Can these radios be seen by others?

  • briandguth
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 26, 2011
      I live in St. Louis, MO and have a BCD396XT. St. Louis City has a digital radio system in place.

      One day I was listening to the City PD and some city detective chatter about an incident taking place within a mile or two of my office. Nothing special was being discussed at that moment; but all of the sudden I hear one detective tell another detective that they were being "scanned", and to come to the end of the alley to share some info instead of over the air.

      Out of curiosity, does anyone know is the PD has equipment at their disposal to see if a scanner is monitoring their traffic? If so, is there a range (distance) that they can see active scanners?

      Any insight that anyone has would be appreciated.
    • Uniden UPMan
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 26, 2011
        There is no such device. The officer could have:

        a) Seen someone with a scanner.
        b) Made the legitimate assumption that someone was scanning their open channel.

        UPMan

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 26, 2011
          Maybe scanned meant visually, not just "overheard".

          Scanner is a "passive device" and even the Reference Oscillator within the radio is a very minute signal...

          They probably noticed from doing covert surveillance that the suspects had scanners...

          On Oct 26, 2011, at 11:26 AM, briandguth wrote:

          > I live in St. Louis, MO and have a BCD396XT. St. Louis City has a digital radio system in place.
          >
          > One day I was listening to the City PD and some city detective chatter about an incident taking place within a mile or two of my office. Nothing special was being discussed at that moment; but all of the sudden I hear one detective tell another detective that they were being "scanned", and to come to the end of the alley to share some info instead of over the air.
          >
          > Out of curiosity, does anyone know is the PD has equipment at their disposal to see if a scanner is monitoring their traffic? If so, is there a range (distance) that they can see active scanners?
          >
          > Any insight that anyone has would be appreciated.

        • Milton Engle
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 26, 2011
            It's another way of saying "Hey dummy, you are on the wrong talkgroup. Now
            get over here and I'll show you how to use your radio"

            >I live in St. Louis, MO and have a BCD396XT. St. Louis City has a digital
            >radio system in place.
            >
            > One day I was listening to the City PD and some city detective chatter
            > about an incident taking place within a mile or two of my office. Nothing
            > special was being discussed at that moment; but all of the sudden I hear
            > one detective tell another detective that they were being "scanned", and
            > to come to the end of the alley to share some info instead of over the
            > air.
            >
            > Out of curiosity, does anyone know is the PD has equipment at their
            > disposal to see if a scanner is monitoring their traffic? If so, is there
            > a range (distance) that they can see active scanners?
            >
            > Any insight that anyone has would be appreciated.

          • Jeffry Rehm
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 26, 2011
              No they can not be seen. I am sure they were smart enough to know that "some" people do have scanners as a hobby and they were making sure that sensitive information was not given out. In my opinion there really aren't many "criminals" that spend the time we do to learn the newest scanners out here to avaid the police.

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 26, 2011
                LOL!

                On Oct 26, 2011, at 12:30 PM, Milton Engle wrote:

                > It's another way of saying "Hey dummy, you are on the wrong talkgroup. Now
                > get over here and I'll show you how to use your radio"

              • Harry Marnell
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 26, 2011
                  Those were the same two thoughts that first came to me, though as you
                  say, the reference oscillator would generate only a *very* weak signal.

                  My other idea was perhaps the detective said it just as a sort of "shot
                  in the dark" so anyone listening (crook or otherwise) would THINK they
                  have ways of detecting scanners.

                  Harry
                  http://goo.gl/XyXgg

                  On 10/26/2011 11:18, Lance wrote:
                  > Maybe scanned meant visually, not just "overheard".
                  >
                  > Scanner is a "passive device" and even the Reference Oscillator within the radio is a very minute signal...
                • Mark Levine, D.C.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 26, 2011
                    Or perhaps he said Scamming rather than Scanning.

                    > Those were the same two thoughts that first came to me, though as you
                    > say, the reference oscillator would generate only a *very* weak signal.
                    >
                    > My other idea was perhaps the detective said it just as a sort of "shot
                    > in the dark" so anyone listening (crook or otherwise) would THINK they
                    > have ways of detecting scanners.
                    >
                    > Harry
                    > http://goo.gl/XyXgg
                    >
                    > On 10/26/2011 11:18, Lance wrote:
                    >> Maybe scanned meant visually, not just "overheard".
                    >>
                    >> Scanner is a "passive device" and even the Reference Oscillator within
                    >> the radio is a very minute signal...

                  • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 26, 2011
                      At 06:10 AM 10/27/2011, you wrote:

                      >My other idea was perhaps the detective said it just as a sort of "shot
                      >in the dark" so anyone listening (crook or otherwise) would THINK they
                      >have ways of detecting scanners.

                      It's a bit like the days when we had analog phones here (prior to
                      2000), I used to often say "Oh, and hi to all the scanner users" when
                      on a long call. Never found out if anyone ever heard that on their
                      scanners! :) Yes, monitoring phones was and is illegal here, but a
                      lot of people did it, until digital mobiles and cordless phones took over.

                      73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                      http://vkradio.com
                    • Jerry Mader
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 27, 2011
                        That is funny!
                        Good analogy!
                        Hahhahahaha
                        Jerry Mader

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 27, 2011
                          Or they could have heard their transmissions coming from someone not on
                          their team, or found a scanner during surveillance.

                          But, it is technically possible to determine what frequency a scanner is
                          monitoring if you know a few technical details about the scanner. I used
                          to do that with neighbors. You can monitor the local oscillator
                          frequency. But, that certainly would not be effective from a mile or two
                          away.

                          Joe M.

                          Uniden UPMan wrote:
                          > There is no such device. The officer could have:
                          >
                          > a) Seen someone with a scanner.
                          > b) Made the legitimate assumption that someone was scanning their open channel.
                          >
                          > UPMan
                          >

                          >> ________________________________

                        • Jason W. Watts
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 27, 2011
                            Sometimes, people need a reminder that others have the capability to monitor
                            them and there are alternate ways of sharing info. They cannot tell if they
                            are being received with certainty. I was a security officer/dispatcher on a
                            college campus for 2 1/2 years. Sensitive information was best handled by
                            phone or in person. Not over the air. As a ham, our ARES group knows that
                            everyone with a.scanner has the capability to receive us. The only
                            exceptions are packet communications and digital voice like D-STAR. We
                            maintain professionalism because we know people can hear hams.

                            Jason W. Watts
                            WB0CID
                            Cedar Rapids, Iowa
                            Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE Phone

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 27, 2011
                              At 02:48 AM 10/28/2011, you wrote:
                              >Sometimes, people need a reminder that others have the capability to monitor
                              >them and there are alternate ways of sharing info. They cannot tell if they
                              >are being received with certainty. I was a security officer/dispatcher on a
                              >college campus for 2 1/2 years. Sensitive information was best handled by
                              >phone or in person. Not over the air. As a ham, our ARES group knows that
                              >everyone with a.scanner has the capability to receive us. The only
                              >exceptions are packet communications and digital voice like D-STAR. We
                              >maintain professionalism because we know people can hear hams.

                              I'm in the volunteer fire service here. Not only do we expect people
                              to be listening to our traffic, it's a well known and accepted fact
                              which is considered beneficial. Many volunteers have scanners or
                              other receivers for listening to our transmissions. In addition,
                              members of the public, especially in smaller communities rely on
                              monitoring fire traffic to keep up with any emergencies in their
                              area. As a result, it is well known that the radio is not the place
                              to transmit confidential information, and that telephone or other
                              means should be used for this purpose.

                              73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                              http://vkradio.com