Invalid Voltage message

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
      What conditions will generate the "invalid voltage" message? I see this once in a while on my radio when it is plugged in. Not always but once in a while. Pulling the plug and reinserting it usually causes the message to go away.
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
        That means your power supply is providing the wrong voltage. Make sure that
        you are using the power supply from Uniden. If you are using the correct
        power supply then you need to purchase a new one. You can buy a power supply
        at radio shack, a Uniden dealer or Uniden.com web site.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
          Well yes, but what is the "wrong voltage"? What is the range of voltages that the unit finds acceptable?

          > providing the wrong voltage. Make sure that
          > you are using the power supply from Uniden. If you are
          > using the correct
          > power supply then you need to purchase a new one. You can
          > buy a power supply
          > at radio shack, a Uniden dealer or Uniden.com web site.

        • Keith
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
            The allowed voltage is listed on the device. There voltage variance allowed
            is about 15% for most devices

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
              The radio says only 6 volts, no range is given and the references on the Uniden wiki don't list a range either. An actual range would be nice to know should I later want to build a power supply for it.

              Either way I suspect it's just a low voltage due to contact resistance as it usually clears up by reseating the connector. If it was an overvoltage condition then reseating wouldn't change it.

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
                Here is a paste from Radio Reference. It discuses current consumption. It does not mention working voltage range, however it has amusing findings...

                http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/141970-396xt-current-draw-various-led-colors-brightness.html

                You could put your radio on a variable voltage bench supply and find out at what two points does the radio display "Wrong Voltage". Of course you would not
                want to swing the voltage by too much, as you might destroy the voltage regulator...