RE: [BCD396XT] Re: Receiving Saginaw county's system on the BCD396xt

  • Jerry Mader
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2011
      What does the digital decode threshold do for the scanner?
      How can this help me out?
      Just again trying to improve my knowledge of how i can use the feature and
      what would you recommend the scanner be set to to avoid the multi-path
      problem that i think is happening?
      Thanks Ron.
      Jerry Mader

    • Bill Lauchlan
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
        I believe if your experiencing multi-path problems due to being in the overlap area between multiple simultaneous transmitters, then in general your stuck with it (or move). Some receivers may be a little worse or a little better than others, but I don't think the problem will disappear. Best way I can think of to improve situation is a highly directional antenna, if you are in a fixed location, pointed at the strongest transmitter. digital decode threshold won't help you if you're losing the control channel.

        Rgds Bill L

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
          I don't currently know where to get a directional antenna.
          SO I'm wondering could the rubber duck help in any way?
          I'm trying to find a portable antenna that's directional and i could say,
          just move the scanner around to find the closest tower.
          I really don't know here.
          Jerry Mader

          _____

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 23 10:12 AM
            Uniden should at least give us back the manual P25 threshold setting that exists on the 396T. My 396T sounds better than my 386XT on the local Moto II simulcast system. Not great but better.

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 23 2:57 PM
              You actual can adjust threshold...

              look here: http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml#optomizing

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 23 4:05 PM
                If you attempt to adjust the threshold level, you will find that there is no way to set the 396XT to manual threshold adjustment. It is auto threshold adjustment only. What you can adjust is the RSSI value where the auto adjustment starts functioning. That's no help since the auto adjustment doesn't set the correct level for all situations.

                http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml#p25%20adjust%20level

                > You actual can adjust threshold...
                >
                > look here: http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml#optomizing
                >

                > On Nov 23, 2011, at 11:12 AM, w6kru wrote:
                >
                > > Uniden should at least give us back the manual P25 threshold setting that exists on the 396T. My 396T sounds better than my 386XT on the local Moto II simulcast system. Not great but better.
                > >
                > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Lauchlan" <bill.lauchlan@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I believe if your experiencing multi-path problems due to being in the overlap area between multiple simultaneous transmitters, then in general your stuck with it (or move). Some receivers may be a little worse or a little better than others, but I don't think the problem will disappear. Best way I can think of to improve situation is a highly directional antenna, if you are in a fixed location, pointed at the strongest transmitter. digital decode threshold won't help you if you're losing the control channel.

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 25 5:34 AM
                  You can also check out post http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD996XT/message/792
                  I will be in Saginaw next week. I will take by BCD396XT and give it a try. I have found the manual adjustment works on some systems and others work better set to auto. I think Saginaw is a simulcast system so it's not going to be perfect but I'll give it a try next week.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 25 2:33 PM
                    What manual adjustment? I have seen a few discussions regarding the lack of a manual adjustment on the XTs and I don't recall an answer being given.