Receiving Saginaw county's system on the BCD396xt

  • Jerry Mader
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 29, 2011
      I hope this isn't off topic and if so I apologize but Had a question about
      the Saginaw County system in Michigan on the BCD396xt.
      I was looking over the forum on RR today about the Saginaw County system.
      I seen an article on multipath signals .
      Here it is for you to look at too.
      http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion
      <http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion>
      and wondered if anyone ever tried to use the Attenuator on the scanner and
      how good that worked?
      Did it cause the signal to drop just enough to get rid of the problem or did
      it make the problem worse?
      and can you adjust the Attenuation level on a channel with this scanner or
      is it stuck to only one level of 10 db like my other scanner used to be?.

      I can give a report on my question about how well it worked for me, once i
      get the scanner in my hands come Christmas as well.
      I was thinking I'd try it as well, but wanted to see what the rest of you
      thought and if it worked or not.
      Because this exact same problem used to happen to me using my older digital
      scanner before it went to pots.
      I'm not expecting the system to come in clearer with the BCD396XT i just
      figured ok, time for a better scanner with more features and the ability to
      scan ltr as i have a few of those systems I like to listen to but couldn't
      with the older scanner.

      I live in Albee township. And even the fire chief whose a friend of mine
      said to me that his radio gets bad reception half the time where he's
      located and he's not far down the road from me.

      But anyway anyone having any luck scanning that system or is it a bear to
      scan even after attenuating the signal?
      Sorry to ask so many questions i just was curious if attenuating the signal
      helps solve this issue of distorted digital transmition for anyone scanning
      the Saginaw county TRS here in Michigan.

      Jerry Mader

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 29, 2011
        As multipath interference involves two signals that are mutually
        interfering, adding attenuation would not only reduce the strength of
        the second signal, but the first as well, so the interference would
        still be there in theory.

        Joe M.

        Jerry Mader wrote:
        > I hope this isn't off topic and if so I apologize but Had a question about
        > the Saginaw County system in Michigan on the BCD396xt.
        > I was looking over the forum on RR today about the Saginaw County system.
        > I seen an article on multipath signals .
        > Here it is for you to look at too.
        > http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion
        > <http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion>
        > and wondered if anyone ever tried to use the Attenuator on the scanner and
        > how good that worked?
        > Did it cause the signal to drop just enough to get rid of the problem or did
        > it make the problem worse?
        > and can you adjust the Attenuation level on a channel with this scanner or
        > is it stuck to only one level of 10 db like my other scanner used to be?.
        >
        > I can give a report on my question about how well it worked for me, once i
        > get the scanner in my hands come Christmas as well.
        > I was thinking I'd try it as well, but wanted to see what the rest of you
        > thought and if it worked or not.
        > Because this exact same problem used to happen to me using my older digital
        > scanner before it went to pots.
        > I'm not expecting the system to come in clearer with the BCD396XT i just
        > figured ok, time for a better scanner with more features and the ability to
        > scan ltr as i have a few of those systems I like to listen to but couldn't
        > with the older scanner.
        >
        > I live in Albee township. And even the fire chief whose a friend of mine
        > said to me that his radio gets bad reception half the time where he's
        > located and he's not far down the road from me.
        >
        > But anyway anyone having any luck scanning that system or is it a bear to
        > scan even after attenuating the signal?
        > Sorry to ask so many questions i just was curious if attenuating the signal
        > helps solve this issue of distorted digital transmition for anyone scanning
        > the Saginaw county TRS here in Michigan.
        >
        > Jerry Mader

      • Jerry Mader
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 29, 2011
          Hmm. good point.
          But what then would be my best option?
          Don't have much to spend on a beam antenna.
          What would be a better way to fix this issue?
          Thanks
          Jerry Mader

          _____

          Jerry Mader wrote:
          > I hope this isn't off topic and if so I apologize but Had a question about
          > the Saginaw County system in Michigan on the BCD396xt.
          > I was looking over the forum on RR today about the Saginaw County system.
          > I seen an article on multipath signals .
          > Here it is for you to look at too.
          > http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion
          > <http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion>
          > and wondered if anyone ever tried to use the Attenuator on the scanner and
          > how good that worked?
          > Did it cause the signal to drop just enough to get rid of the problem or
          did
          > it make the problem worse?
          > and can you adjust the Attenuation level on a channel with this scanner or
          > is it stuck to only one level of 10 db like my other scanner used to be?.
          >
          > I can give a report on my question about how well it worked for me, once i
          > get the scanner in my hands come Christmas as well.
          > I was thinking I'd try it as well, but wanted to see what the rest of you
          > thought and if it worked or not.
          > Because this exact same problem used to happen to me using my older
          digital
          > scanner before it went to pots.
          > I'm not expecting the system to come in clearer with the BCD396XT i just
          > figured ok, time for a better scanner with more features and the ability
          > scan ltr as i have a few of those systems I like to listen to but couldn't
          > with the older scanner.
          >
          > I live in Albee township. And even the fire chief whose a friend of mine
          > said to me that his radio gets bad reception half the time where he's
          > located and he's not far down the road from me.
          >
          > But anyway anyone having any luck scanning that system or is it a bear to
          > scan even after attenuating the signal?
          > Sorry to ask so many questions i just was curious if attenuating the
          signal
          > helps solve this issue of distorted digital transmition for anyone
          scanning
          > the Saginaw county TRS here in Michigan.
          >
          > Jerry Mader

          14:34:00

        • Jeffry Rehm
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 29, 2011
[...]

            Do you know what and where the "other" signal is? Maybe there is a radio out there that is off frequency or way over the wattage limit. Just a suggestion?

          • Jerry Mader
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 29, 2011
              Nope i don't know where the other signal is coming from exactly but here's
              my opinion on what's wrong with it.
              Note: I'm not a radio tech, nor do i work for Motorola, nor am i a police
              officer of fire officer but have friends who are.
              But here we go lol.
              I think it's because there's too many towers clustered together on one freq.
              I wish they'd must move the controlled channels around say and give each one
              it's own control frequency or would this break the simulcast? For example,
              Bridgeport would have, it's own control frequency, then birch run, then
              Saginaw township, then Hemlock, like that.
              Not all clustered up together on one frequency.
              Like i said it's nuts, and I'm thinking of calling up to central dispatch
              and saying "look we have a problem here, this is endangering your officers'
              lives" But i don't think it would do me any good you know.
              Like they'd listen to me, some dude with a scanner! lol But still i wish
              they would.
              Ever since this stupid system came online no one has been able to grab it
              and before they put their system online, everyone could hear the digital
              system the state police tower in Bridgeport came in awesome.
              Now it's not doing so hot.
              Also i hear a lot of fire departments complaining about how crappy it is,
              and that they liked the other system better because For example, when they
              go into a building and it's on fire, (my friend who's the fire chief told me
              that Bridgeport Spalding, Chesaning Brady and birch run told him, and he's
              experienced it too as he's one of the albee chiefs,) they get out of service
              messages on their radio display and it beeps as if it can't read the ctrl
              channel, but the emergency medical services don't have any trouble with
              their radios just fire and police.
              So I'm wondering what i could do to help them out.
              As i see this as an endangerment to officers' lives here.
              Even the State Police division who used to get it to come in good, can't
              anymore.
              So something's dreadfully wrong. A few of my friends on that division told
              me about it being crazy and as soon as they come in to my area the radios go
              nuts and can't find the control channel. You can hear it fine but don't try
              to scan it, it just sounds terrible.
              SO should i give central a call on the non-emergency number, and let them
              know or would this just be bothering them so to speak?
              Along with central dispatch, who else can i call to get this fixed, i think
              they have one tower too strong and the other ones just as equally strong, i
              think they need one tower maybe, that is the strongest one then the rest
              should be weak enough that the other controllers don't interfere in my
              opinion but maybe I'm wrong here.
              Jerry Mader

              _____

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
                Simulcasting is very tricky. I live near the IL StarCom system and if you are in an area that is near a cluster of towers like I am then "receiving" a signal into your scanner can be difficult. If you are near, lets say, three different towers and they are all transmitting the same info at the same time (I know this doesn;t happen on a regular basis but it can) the distance from each of those towers is slightly different. I have been told that even a millisecond or three makes the sound garbled. I think (not sure here) the radio or scanner is trying to process the signals at the same time. I know I am wrong here on some level but that might be what is goinjg on.

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
                  what could i do to make the other signal sort of go away so that i can
                  listen to the trunking system would anyone have any suggestions? just trying
                  to get feedback here. I know I'm near 2 towers, Bridgeport and i believe
                  there's one in birch run but I'm probably wrong.
                  But how can I attenuate the other signal to make it not exactly disappear
                  but sort of quiet down so i can get the system to scan?
                  Any good suggestions?
                  Jerry Mader

                  _____

                  From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                  Behalf
                  Of Jeffry Rehm
                  Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:51 PM
                  To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>

                  From: Jerry Mader <maderradionetwork@...
                  <mailto:maderradionetwork%40gmail.com>
                  <mailto:maderradionetwork%40gmail.com> >
                  To: bcd396xt@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bcd396xt%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <mailto:bcd396xt%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 1, 2011
                    Here in ILL we have the IL-Starcom Multisite system, on this system my GRE500 performs awful with constant dropouts on the 700mgz multisite towers BUT, my 396XT performs much better finding a spot here in my home where it gets 4 bars on a tower here in the radio room on a shelf....Thats THIS system yours may very but i have been in your area about a year ago and in the Berian Co area and my 396XT performed very well....I know the MSP system has been in use longer than Starcom and may need a little tuneup.....Just trying to give a little heads up.....

                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Mader <maderradionetwork@...> wrote:

                    > what could i do to make the other signal sort of go away so that i can
                    > listen to the trunking system would anyone have any suggestions? just trying
                    > to get feedback here. I know I'm near 2 towers, Bridgeport and i believe
                    > there's one in birch run but I'm probably wrong.
                    > But how can I attenuate the other signal to make it not exactly disappear
                    > but sort of quiet down so i can get the system to scan?
                    > Any good suggestions?
                    > Jerry Mader
                    >
                    > _____

                  • Jerry Mader
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 1, 2011
                      Thanks man.
                      I appreciate that!
                      But yeah I know my pro 96 sucked at pickin' it up lol.
                      I hope this scanner does much better.
                      I'll know come Christmas.
                      Now i feel like a kid again waiting on Santa to come.
                      Take it easy.
                      Jerry Mader

                      _____

                      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , Jerry
> [...]
                      > with the older scanner.
                      >
                      > I live in Albee township. And even the fire chief whose a friend of mine
                      > said to me that his radio gets bad reception half the time where he's
                      > located and he's not far down the road from me.
                      >
                      > But anyway anyone having any luck scanning that system or is it a bear to
                      > scan even after attenuating the signal?
                      > Sorry to ask so many questions i just was curious if attenuating the
                      signal
                      > helps solve this issue of distorted digital transmition for anyone
                      scanning
                      > the Saginaw county TRS here in Michigan.
                      >
                      > Jerry Mader

                      > Do you know what and where the "other" signal is? Maybe there is a radio
                      out
                      > there that is off frequency or way over the wattage limit. Just a

                    • rons
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 1, 2011
                        help?
                        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cJuHTvgPkysOpGyl2X3EenZohT5Ky0SbVGiqppNK0mqSZODEM-RduLFTaVIvW4DQUFZWpCL7GluM6PcL5OUsIig6lcDuwd0/digital%20decode%20threshold.docx

                        or click files, and click digital decode threshold.docx

                      • Jerry Mader
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 1, 2011
                          What does the digital decode threshold do for the scanner?
                          How can this help me out?
                          Just again trying to improve my knowledge of how i can use the feature and
                          what would you recommend the scanner be set to to avoid the multi-path
                          problem that i think is happening?
                          Thanks Ron.
                          Jerry Mader

                        • Bill Lauchlan
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
                            I believe if your experiencing multi-path problems due to being in the overlap area between multiple simultaneous transmitters, then in general your stuck with it (or move). Some receivers may be a little worse or a little better than others, but I don't think the problem will disappear. Best way I can think of to improve situation is a highly directional antenna, if you are in a fixed location, pointed at the strongest transmitter. digital decode threshold won't help you if you're losing the control channel.

                            Rgds Bill L

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
                              I don't currently know where to get a directional antenna.
                              SO I'm wondering could the rubber duck help in any way?
                              I'm trying to find a portable antenna that's directional and i could say,
                              just move the scanner around to find the closest tower.
                              I really don't know here.
                              Jerry Mader

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 23, 2011
                                Uniden should at least give us back the manual P25 threshold setting that exists on the 396T. My 396T sounds better than my 386XT on the local Moto II simulcast system. Not great but better.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 23, 2011
                                  You actual can adjust threshold...

                                  look here: http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml#optomizing

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 23, 2011
                                    If you attempt to adjust the threshold level, you will find that there is no way to set the 396XT to manual threshold adjustment. It is auto threshold adjustment only. What you can adjust is the RSSI value where the auto adjustment starts functioning. That's no help since the auto adjustment doesn't set the correct level for all situations.

                                    http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml#p25%20adjust%20level

                                    > You actual can adjust threshold...
                                    >
                                    > look here: http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml#optomizing
                                    >

                                    > On Nov 23, 2011, at 11:12 AM, w6kru wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Uniden should at least give us back the manual P25 threshold setting that exists on the 396T. My 396T sounds better than my 386XT on the local Moto II simulcast system. Not great but better.
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Lauchlan" <bill.lauchlan@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I believe if your experiencing multi-path problems due to being in the overlap area between multiple simultaneous transmitters, then in general your stuck with it (or move). Some receivers may be a little worse or a little better than others, but I don't think the problem will disappear. Best way I can think of to improve situation is a highly directional antenna, if you are in a fixed location, pointed at the strongest transmitter. digital decode threshold won't help you if you're losing the control channel.

                                  • Mike
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 25, 2011
                                      I will be in Saginaw next week. I will take by BCD396XT and give it a try. I have found the manual adjustment works on some systems and others work better set to auto. I think Saginaw is a simulcast system so it's not going to be perfect but I'll give it a try next week.

                                      Mike

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 25, 2011
                                        What manual adjustment? I have seen a few discussions regarding the lack of a manual adjustment on the XTs and I don't recall an answer being given.