Random buzz saw tones

  • graphotypist
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 27, 2011
      Maybe you guys can help me with this one. Every few minutes, my XT stops on a (trunked) channel and the only sound that comes out is digital buzz saw noise. It sometimes lasts a couple of seconds then scan resumes, but sometimes it is just stuck there until I hit SCAN.

      I'm in the Reno, Nevada area, if this is any factor.
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 27, 2011
        My first thought is a talkgroup that is used for data only.

        It is a trunked channel programmed as a trunked System, correct?

        Joe M.

        graphotypist wrote:
        > Maybe you guys can help me with this one. Every few minutes, my XT stops on a (trunked) channel and the only sound that comes out is digital buzz saw noise. It sometimes lasts a couple of seconds then scan resumes, but sometimes it is just stuck there until I hit SCAN.
        >
        > I'm in the Reno, Nevada area, if this is any factor.

      • Sin Doss
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 27, 2011
          The sounds are a ditgal transmission trying to get thru, most of the time when you hear these, the transmission will come thru in the clear after a second or two

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 27, 2011
            I'm not sure what the setup is. I loaded this from RR / XTPro last year.

            When it hits, it may be on any of several different talkgroups. I haven't looked to see if they are always on the same frequency.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 27, 2011
              I've been checking it today.

              It always happens on the same frequency, but NOT the same talkgroup.

              Any ideas?

              > My first thought is a talkgroup that is used for data only.
              >
              > It is a trunked channel programmed as a trunked System, correct?
              >
              > Joe M.
              >
              > graphotypist wrote:
              > > Maybe you guys can help me with this one. Every few minutes, my XT stops on a (trunked) channel and the only sound that comes out is digital buzz saw noise. It sometimes lasts a couple of seconds then scan resumes, but sometimes it is just stuck there until I hit SCAN.
              > >
              > > I'm in the Reno, Nevada area, if this is any factor.

            • Jerry Mader
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 27, 2011
                Now I don't know much about the BCD396XT but I'm pretty good with radio
                systems.
                Could it be MDT(mobile data terminal) data? Or could it be Encrypted
                transmitions?
                Just a small thought.
                Hth
                Jerry Mader

                _____

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , MCH

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 27, 2011
                  It could be interference on that one frequency.

                  Or, that transmitter might be off frequency.

                  Joe M.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 28, 2011
                    If it were interference, would it show me talkgroups?

                    If it were off frequency, it would be for short bursts. It will run until I hit Scan -- sometimes it has taken several minutes (when I've been elbows-deep in working on the car, for instance). Then it doesn't hit for several minutes, sometimes an hour or more.

                    I love a mystery, don't you?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 28, 2011
                      Yes, it would show the TGs, as those come from the control channel.

                      As for being off frequency, I have some other digital scanners that tend
                      to drift off frequency. Sometimes they decode - sometimes they don't -
                      sometimes they start decoding mid-transmission. So, yes, that is still a
                      possibility.

                      As for intermittent problems - yes, they are the best. ;->

                      Joe M.