RE: [BCD396XT] Re: Scanning specific systems.

  • V. Singh, MBA, RPhT
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
      I had the same question also after just acquiring this scanner last week.
      Thanks for the info.

      However, I might be TOO new to make this intuitive yet.

      I pushed FUNCTION then scrolled the top knob until I find the system I want.
      Then what? When I pushed the scroll knob, it stops on the system, but
      consistently tells me "nothing to scan" even though the system chosen has
      groups activated at all times. What am I doing incorrectly?

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
        Make sure the system is scannable (i.e. it is unlocked and its Quick Key is enabled).

        UPMan

        >I had the same question also after just acquiring this scanner last week.
        >Thanks for the info.
        >
        >However, I might be TOO new to make this intuitive yet.
        >
        >I pushed FUNCTION then scrolled the top knob until I find the system I want.
        >Then what? When I pushed the scroll knob, it stops on the system, but
        >consistently tells me "nothing to scan" even though the system chosen has
        >groups activated at all times. What am I doing incorrectly?
        >
        >_____

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
          Thanks guys. The learning curve has gotten shallower. Between here, the "difficult to navigate" cd manual, and the "Not that Easier to read" Scanner manual book, I'm slowly getting it.

          Matt
        • mike
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
            This is, in my humble opinion, one of the very few short comings of this otherwise amazing scanner .... in one operation, the ability to navigate directly to and scan a specific system WITHOUT having to first enable the it's quick key ... is there any chance of that feature being added ?

            Thanks,
            Mike

            Make sure the system is scannable (i.e. it is unlocked and its Quick Key is enabled).

            UPMan

            >I had the same question also after just acquiring this scanner last week.
            >Thanks for the info.
            >
            >However, I might be TOO new to make this intuitive yet.
            >
            >I pushed FUNCTION then scrolled the top knob until I find the system I want.
            >Then what? When I pushed the scroll knob, it stops on the system, but
            >consistently tells me "nothing to scan" even though the system chosen has
            >groups activated at all times. What am I doing incorrectly?
            >
            >_____

          • Robert Klamp Jr.
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
              Just dont assign the system a quick key then it scans all the time until you lock it out. Other than that how much easier can it get, before dynamic memory we were limited to 10 or 20 banks that only held a set number of channels and the banks still had to be turned on or off using the keypad. Now instead of banks we have 100 system quick keys supplemented by 10 group quick keys for each system. And all you have to do is punch in the number to turn on any system you want function plus the number to toggle any group quick key you want it doesn't get much easier than that if you read through the manual a few times and use the scanner a couple months operating it becomes second nature in my opinion. These radios are amazing dont sell them short it takes some time to learn its ins and outs but after that you'll wonder how you ever scanned the air without it.

              Bob

            • KB0KGH@mchsi.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
                Do you have the system locked out or have a quick key for the system locked
                out? I had the same problem, but always found a way to make it work after
                fiddling with the scanner a bit.

                Jason W. Watts
                WB0CID
                Cedar Rapids, Iowa