Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Scanning specific systems.

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
      When I said scroll to the System you want to hold, you use FUNC then the
      scroll knob to change Systems.

      Joe M.

      Matt wrote:

      >> Press and hold the HOLD button to activate System Hold, then scroll to
      >> the System you want to scan
      >
      > Thanks Joe. Did you mean site vs. system? All the scroll knob does is change direction of scan on a single site system. If I go to a multi-site system, the scroll still makes me go through all the talkgroups before it goes to the next system. Is there a key combo so that I can scroll through the systems only without all the talkgroups.
      >
      > IMHO, the weak point in this scanner is the scroll control. I don't see the part holding up to any kind of use. A scanner this complex, you would think EVERYTHING would be keypad controlled except volume and squelch, but there I go thinking again.
      >
      > Matt Collins

    • V. Singh, MBA, RPhT
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
        I had the same question also after just acquiring this scanner last week.
        Thanks for the info.

        However, I might be TOO new to make this intuitive yet.

        I pushed FUNCTION then scrolled the top knob until I find the system I want.
        Then what? When I pushed the scroll knob, it stops on the system, but
        consistently tells me "nothing to scan" even though the system chosen has
        groups activated at all times. What am I doing incorrectly?

        _____

        Matt wrote:

        > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , MCH
        <mch@...> wrote:
        >> Press and hold the HOLD button to activate System Hold, then scroll to
        >> the System you want to scan
        >
        > Thanks Joe. Did you mean site vs. system? All the scroll knob does is
        change direction of scan on a single site system. If I go to a multi-site
        system, the scroll still makes me go through all the talkgroups before it
        goes to the next system. Is there a key combo so that I can scroll through
        the systems only without all the talkgroups.

        > IMHO, the weak point in this scanner is the scroll control. I don't see
        the part holding up to any kind of use. A scanner this complex, you would
        think EVERYTHING would be keypad controlled except volume and squelch, but
        there I go thinking again.

        > Matt Collins

      • Uniden UPMan
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
          Make sure the system is scannable (i.e. it is unlocked and its Quick Key is enabled).

          UPMan

          >I had the same question also after just acquiring this scanner last week.
          >Thanks for the info.
          >
          >However, I might be TOO new to make this intuitive yet.
          >
          >I pushed FUNCTION then scrolled the top knob until I find the system I want.
          >Then what? When I pushed the scroll knob, it stops on the system, but
          >consistently tells me "nothing to scan" even though the system chosen has
          >groups activated at all times. What am I doing incorrectly?
          >
          >_____

        • Matt
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
            Thanks guys. The learning curve has gotten shallower. Between here, the "difficult to navigate" cd manual, and the "Not that Easier to read" Scanner manual book, I'm slowly getting it.

            Matt
          • mike
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
              This is, in my humble opinion, one of the very few short comings of this otherwise amazing scanner .... in one operation, the ability to navigate directly to and scan a specific system WITHOUT having to first enable the it's quick key ... is there any chance of that feature being added ?

              Thanks,
              Mike

              Make sure the system is scannable (i.e. it is unlocked and its Quick Key is enabled).

              UPMan

              >I had the same question also after just acquiring this scanner last week.
              >Thanks for the info.
              >
              >However, I might be TOO new to make this intuitive yet.
              >
              >I pushed FUNCTION then scrolled the top knob until I find the system I want.
              >Then what? When I pushed the scroll knob, it stops on the system, but
              >consistently tells me "nothing to scan" even though the system chosen has
              >groups activated at all times. What am I doing incorrectly?
              >
              >_____

            • Robert Klamp Jr.
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
                Just dont assign the system a quick key then it scans all the time until you lock it out. Other than that how much easier can it get, before dynamic memory we were limited to 10 or 20 banks that only held a set number of channels and the banks still had to be turned on or off using the keypad. Now instead of banks we have 100 system quick keys supplemented by 10 group quick keys for each system. And all you have to do is punch in the number to turn on any system you want function plus the number to toggle any group quick key you want it doesn't get much easier than that if you read through the manual a few times and use the scanner a couple months operating it becomes second nature in my opinion. These radios are amazing dont sell them short it takes some time to learn its ins and outs but after that you'll wonder how you ever scanned the air without it.

                Bob

              • KB0KGH@mchsi.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
                  Do you have the system locked out or have a quick key for the system locked
                  out? I had the same problem, but always found a way to make it work after
                  fiddling with the scanner a bit.

                  Jason W. Watts
                  WB0CID
                  Cedar Rapids, Iowa