Re: [BCD396XT] Scanning specific systems.

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 11, 2011
      Press and hold the HOLD button to activate System Hold, then scroll to
      the System you want to scan and it will scan only that system regardless
      of the status of other systems. To disable System Hold, press and hold
      the HOLD button again. When in System Hold mode, the HOLD will flash on
      the display.

      Joe M.

      Matt wrote:
      > I don't know if it can be done, but I'll ask. Is there a way to scan specific systems without disabling all the other systems in the scanner? I want to be able to scan 1 TRS in particular. I've assigned a system number tag using ARC-XT. I use the HOLD / 1 / • / MENU, and it takes me to the control channel for the system but doesn't scan the system. Am I missing something, or am I not able to do this?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Matt Collins

    • Matt
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011

        > Press and hold the HOLD button to activate System Hold, then scroll to
        > the System you want to scan

        Thanks Joe. Did you mean site vs. system? All the scroll knob does is change direction of scan on a single site system. If I go to a multi-site system, the scroll still makes me go through all the talkgroups before it goes to the next system. Is there a key combo so that I can scroll through the systems only without all the talkgroups.

        IMHO, the weak point in this scanner is the scroll control. I don't see the part holding up to any kind of use. A scanner this complex, you would think EVERYTHING would be keypad controlled except volume and squelch, but there I go thinking again.

        Matt Collins
      • Uniden UPMan
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
          F+Scroll

          UPMan

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
            When I said scroll to the System you want to hold, you use FUNC then the
            scroll knob to change Systems.

            Joe M.

            Matt wrote:

            >> Press and hold the HOLD button to activate System Hold, then scroll to
            >> the System you want to scan
            >
            > Thanks Joe. Did you mean site vs. system? All the scroll knob does is change direction of scan on a single site system. If I go to a multi-site system, the scroll still makes me go through all the talkgroups before it goes to the next system. Is there a key combo so that I can scroll through the systems only without all the talkgroups.
            >
            > IMHO, the weak point in this scanner is the scroll control. I don't see the part holding up to any kind of use. A scanner this complex, you would think EVERYTHING would be keypad controlled except volume and squelch, but there I go thinking again.
            >
            > Matt Collins

          • V. Singh, MBA, RPhT
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
              I had the same question also after just acquiring this scanner last week.
              Thanks for the info.

              However, I might be TOO new to make this intuitive yet.

              I pushed FUNCTION then scrolled the top knob until I find the system I want.
              Then what? When I pushed the scroll knob, it stops on the system, but
              consistently tells me "nothing to scan" even though the system chosen has
              groups activated at all times. What am I doing incorrectly?

              _____

              Matt wrote:

              > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , MCH
              <mch@...> wrote:
              >> Press and hold the HOLD button to activate System Hold, then scroll to
              >> the System you want to scan
              >
              > Thanks Joe. Did you mean site vs. system? All the scroll knob does is
              change direction of scan on a single site system. If I go to a multi-site
              system, the scroll still makes me go through all the talkgroups before it
              goes to the next system. Is there a key combo so that I can scroll through
              the systems only without all the talkgroups.

              > IMHO, the weak point in this scanner is the scroll control. I don't see
              the part holding up to any kind of use. A scanner this complex, you would
              think EVERYTHING would be keypad controlled except volume and squelch, but
              there I go thinking again.

              > Matt Collins

            • Uniden UPMan
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
                Make sure the system is scannable (i.e. it is unlocked and its Quick Key is enabled).

                UPMan

                >I had the same question also after just acquiring this scanner last week.
                >Thanks for the info.
                >
                >However, I might be TOO new to make this intuitive yet.
                >
                >I pushed FUNCTION then scrolled the top knob until I find the system I want.
                >Then what? When I pushed the scroll knob, it stops on the system, but
                >consistently tells me "nothing to scan" even though the system chosen has
                >groups activated at all times. What am I doing incorrectly?
                >
                >_____

              • Matt
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
                  Thanks guys. The learning curve has gotten shallower. Between here, the "difficult to navigate" cd manual, and the "Not that Easier to read" Scanner manual book, I'm slowly getting it.

                  Matt
                • mike
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
                    This is, in my humble opinion, one of the very few short comings of this otherwise amazing scanner .... in one operation, the ability to navigate directly to and scan a specific system WITHOUT having to first enable the it's quick key ... is there any chance of that feature being added ?

                    Thanks,
                    Mike

                    Make sure the system is scannable (i.e. it is unlocked and its Quick Key is enabled).

                    UPMan

                    >I had the same question also after just acquiring this scanner last week.
                    >Thanks for the info.
                    >
                    >However, I might be TOO new to make this intuitive yet.
                    >
                    >I pushed FUNCTION then scrolled the top knob until I find the system I want.
                    >Then what? When I pushed the scroll knob, it stops on the system, but
                    >consistently tells me "nothing to scan" even though the system chosen has
                    >groups activated at all times. What am I doing incorrectly?
                    >
                    >_____

                  • Robert Klamp Jr.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
                      Just dont assign the system a quick key then it scans all the time until you lock it out. Other than that how much easier can it get, before dynamic memory we were limited to 10 or 20 banks that only held a set number of channels and the banks still had to be turned on or off using the keypad. Now instead of banks we have 100 system quick keys supplemented by 10 group quick keys for each system. And all you have to do is punch in the number to turn on any system you want function plus the number to toggle any group quick key you want it doesn't get much easier than that if you read through the manual a few times and use the scanner a couple months operating it becomes second nature in my opinion. These radios are amazing dont sell them short it takes some time to learn its ins and outs but after that you'll wonder how you ever scanned the air without it.

                      Bob

                    • KB0KGH@mchsi.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
                        Do you have the system locked out or have a quick key for the system locked
                        out? I had the same problem, but always found a way to make it work after
                        fiddling with the scanner a bit.

                        Jason W. Watts
                        WB0CID
                        Cedar Rapids, Iowa