Re: Newbie trying to find my way

  • briandguth
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 10, 2011
      Thank you for clarification! With regard to Conventional and Analog, I'm still unsure of the specific differences between systems. Yes, when referring to digital, I am describing a trunked system. One local site says: "St. Louis City's radio system is an 800 MHz Motorola Type-II Trunked Radio System".

      On RadioReference they have red, blue, and black labeled (colored fonts) System Frequencies. Red (c) are primary control channels and Blue (a) are alternate control channels. Black are ??? Put all 18 in, regardless of color? In addition, the local folks have another listing of frequencies ( http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/scan/stlfreq.html#citytrs ) All in all, I see 36 separate frequencies. Put them all in?

      Thank you for your insights!

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2011
        Hi Brian, I live in Belleville and work in Creve Coeur so I'm familiar with
        all the systems you're trying to program

        You say you have a subscription to RR and the programming software

        Have you attempted to import the frequencies you want into the software from
        Radio Reference? It sounds like you're trying to manually enter the data
        into the software

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2011
          Conventional is non-trunked, it can be digital and or analog or both,
          mixed. with the XTs you don't have to be concerned if the Mode column (ARC
          XT Pro) is "Auto". And in a trunked system if the Audio Type column is "All".

          Black are just voice freqs. You only enter the "output" freqs. , if that is
          what you are asking.
          Sometimes it can be a little confusing when both Uniden and ARC both refer
          to a grouping whether conventional
          or Trunked as a "System", but you'll get used to it.

          Clark

          At 04:10 AM 9/10/2011, you wrote:

          >Thank you for clarification! With regard to Conventional and Analog, I'm
          >still unsure of the specific differences between systems. Yes, when
          >referring to digital, I am describing a trunked system. One local site
          >says: "St. Louis City's radio system is an 800 MHz Motorola Type-II
          >Trunked Radio System".
          >
          >On RadioReference they have red, blue, and black labeled (colored fonts)
          >System Frequencies. Red (c) are primary control channels and Blue (a) are
          >alternate control channels. Black are ??? Put all 18 in, regardless of
          >color? In addition, the local folks have another listing of frequencies (
          >http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/scan/stlfreq.html#citytrs ) All in all, I
          >see 36 separate frequencies. Put them all in?
          >
          >Thank you for your insights!
        • briandguth
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2011
            Good deal Chris! It's good to have a local to commensurate with (I'm in South County)!

            I imported the frequencies, etc. from RR. Despite any differences in nomenclature, the software and web site both call them "Conventional Frequencies". In looking at the downloaded data, in the software, there are no locations to input talk groups.

            My understanding of systems and terms is still a bit rough; but this doesn't seem like the way to set up a "trunked" system.

            I may continue inserting my manual hodge-podge of data and see what I come up with. With regard to software, I've done pretty well with the "press this and see what happens" method of learning. Please le me know if you have any further insights.