Re: [BCD396XT] Newbie trying to find my way

  • Clark Rennie
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2011
      Don't confuse Conventional and Analog......the scanner will determine the
      correct mode.
      Am I correct in assuming that when you say digital, you actually mean
      "Trunked" ?

      It sounds as if the control channels rotate daily, so enter all of them,
      the scanner will pick the correct one.
      ARCXT Pro is a great program. I'm sure there will be negative comments
      about this program though.

      At 05:39 PM 9/9/2011, you wrote:

      >I will try to keep this short and sweet; as I have compiled lots of
      >information in my quest for programming understanding.
      >
      >I just purchased a BCD396XT. I have never used a radio or scanner before;
      >but I'm a sharp cookie.
      >
      >I live in St. Louis, MO. We have both City and County police
      >departments. I successfully programmed the conventional system for the
      >County. The city is digital. I can't figure out how to program the
      >digital system, or which data to use. Some folks in STL put together some
      >pages of frequencies; but my feeble programming efforts have only netted
      >me the trash and street departments. Their pages:
      >
      >http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/scan/stlcitypd10.html
      >http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/scan/stlfreq.html
      >http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5747
      >
      >Tools that I have acquired: a BCD396XT radio, an "Easier to Read" manual
      >for BCD396XT (apparently not for me), ARC-XT PRO software, and a 180 day
      >subscription to RadioReference.com.
      >
      >Here's a link to ARC-XT PRO screen captures of the data that I have
      >entered into the software:
      >https://picasaweb.google.com/101076550751701027957/ARCXTPROScreenCaptures
      >
      >I don't know which list of, and how many control channels to use; which
      >frequencies to use; why RadioReference has different frequencies listed
      >than the local site; if i should use hex or dec, and why my talk groups
      >turn to zero when uploaded to the scanner.
      >
      >Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! I thank you in advance for
      >your assistance! Have questions for me? I'll answer them pronto.

    • briandguth
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2011
        Thank you for clarification! With regard to Conventional and Analog, I'm still unsure of the specific differences between systems. Yes, when referring to digital, I am describing a trunked system. One local site says: "St. Louis City's radio system is an 800 MHz Motorola Type-II Trunked Radio System".

        On RadioReference they have red, blue, and black labeled (colored fonts) System Frequencies. Red (c) are primary control channels and Blue (a) are alternate control channels. Black are ??? Put all 18 in, regardless of color? In addition, the local folks have another listing of frequencies ( http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/scan/stlfreq.html#citytrs ) All in all, I see 36 separate frequencies. Put them all in?

        Thank you for your insights!

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2011
          Hi Brian, I live in Belleville and work in Creve Coeur so I'm familiar with
          all the systems you're trying to program

          You say you have a subscription to RR and the programming software

          Have you attempted to import the frequencies you want into the software from
          Radio Reference? It sounds like you're trying to manually enter the data
          into the software

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2011
            Conventional is non-trunked, it can be digital and or analog or both,
            mixed. with the XTs you don't have to be concerned if the Mode column (ARC
            XT Pro) is "Auto". And in a trunked system if the Audio Type column is "All".

            Black are just voice freqs. You only enter the "output" freqs. , if that is
            what you are asking.
            Sometimes it can be a little confusing when both Uniden and ARC both refer
            to a grouping whether conventional
            or Trunked as a "System", but you'll get used to it.

            Clark

            At 04:10 AM 9/10/2011, you wrote:

            >Thank you for clarification! With regard to Conventional and Analog, I'm
            >still unsure of the specific differences between systems. Yes, when
            >referring to digital, I am describing a trunked system. One local site
            >says: "St. Louis City's radio system is an 800 MHz Motorola Type-II
            >Trunked Radio System".
            >
            >On RadioReference they have red, blue, and black labeled (colored fonts)
            >System Frequencies. Red (c) are primary control channels and Blue (a) are
            >alternate control channels. Black are ??? Put all 18 in, regardless of
            >color? In addition, the local folks have another listing of frequencies (
            >http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/scan/stlfreq.html#citytrs ) All in all, I
            >see 36 separate frequencies. Put them all in?
            >
            >Thank you for your insights!
          • briandguth
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 10, 2011
              Good deal Chris! It's good to have a local to commensurate with (I'm in South County)!

              I imported the frequencies, etc. from RR. Despite any differences in nomenclature, the software and web site both call them "Conventional Frequencies". In looking at the downloaded data, in the software, there are no locations to input talk groups.

              My understanding of systems and terms is still a bit rough; but this doesn't seem like the way to set up a "trunked" system.

              I may continue inserting my manual hodge-podge of data and see what I come up with. With regard to software, I've done pretty well with the "press this and see what happens" method of learning. Please le me know if you have any further insights.