Incomplete transmission

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 13, 2011
      I've had my XT about two months. At first I could hear the full transmission. Then it cut off and would come back in a second or two. Somehow it cleared up but now it's back to cutting off the transmission for a second or two and is very frustrating. I'm sure there's a simple fix I'm missing but I can't find it. Any thoughts?

      Mike
    • Rob Jones
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 13, 2011
        Do you have the weather alert turned on? Priority mode? Either of those will result in a loss of reception for a brief moment while the scanner checks the wx and priority channels.

      • mch@nb.net
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 13, 2011
          Check to see if you enabled Channel Priority, Weather Priority, or Close Call Priority modes. Close Call Do-Not-Disturb would work fine without the gaps.

          Joe M.

          On Sat 13/08/11 4:58 PM , "Michael" hisjoy4u@... sent:
          > I've had my XT about two months. At first I could hear the full
          > transmission. Then it cut off and would come back in a second or two.
          > Somehow it cleared up but now it's back to cutting off the transmission for
          > a second or two and is very frustrating. I'm sure there's a simple fix I'm
          > missing but I can't find it. Any thoughts?
          > Mike

          > Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > To change settings online go to:
          >
          > To change settings via email:
          > BCD396XT-digest@yahoogroups.com BCD396XT-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Jeff H
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 13, 2011
            Mine was doing the same thing. Found out it was because I was monitoring the frequencies (that would cut out) in "NFM" mode using the CTCSS setting for that channel. Changed that frequency to "FM" mode and it cleared right up. No more chopping out or losing parts of conversations. My guess is that the certain frquency I was monitoring and having the trouble with as you are stating, hasn't been re-banded yet.

            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 14, 2011
              One thing I have observed is some older radio systems use FM vs NFM for transmissions. Cutting out, or clipping can be caused if the radio is in NFM mode and the wider deviation of the FM mode of the transmitter is exceeding or "bandpassing" the receiver. An analogy is like trying to move a large couch thru a small door, the extended edges of the couch get clipped by the narrow door width...

              I'm sure other's will chime in.

              There is a state transmitter that I had this issue with. So, had to change that freq. to FM mode...

              On Aug 13, 2011, at 2:58 PM, Michael wrote:

              > I've had my XT about two months. At first I could hear the full transmission. Then it cut off and would come back in a second or two. Somehow it cleared up but now it's back to cutting off the transmission for a second or two and is very frustrating. I'm sure there's a simple fix I'm missing but I can't find it. Any thoughts?
              >
              > Mike

            • John
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 14, 2011
                That shouldn't be a problem in 2 years as everyone should be NFM in 2013,
                and systems are being upgraded daily to NFM....

                One thing I have observed is some older radio systems use FM vs NFM for
                transmissions. Cutting out, or clipping can be caused if the radio is in
                NFM mode and the wider deviation of the FM mode of the transmitter is
                exceeding or "bandpassing" the receiver. An analogy is like trying to move
                a large couch thru a small door, the extended edges of the couch get
                clipped by the narrow door width...

                I'm sure other's will chime in.

                There is a state transmitter that I had this issue with. So, had to change
                that freq. to FM mode...

                On Aug 13, 2011, at 2:58 PM, Michael wrote:

                > I've had my XT about two months. At first I could hear the full
                > transmission. Then it cut off and would come back in a second or two.
                > Somehow it cleared up but now it's back to cutting off the transmission
                > for a second or two and is very frustrating. I'm sure there's a simple fix
                > I'm missing but I can't find it. Any thoughts?
                >
                > Mike

              • dataman60435
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 14, 2011
                  It seems that high peaking voices dispatching seem to cause "clipping", i have put the "PL" in search mode and kept the "NFM" mode and the clipping stopped....Its mostly on loud volume dispatchers....I have a ham friend who speakes very loud in his mike , people are always telling him his transmissions are all chopped up=back off!!!!!!...

                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 14, 2011
                    What you are describing is typical of an FM transmission being received
                    in NFM mode. The transmission is exceeding the passband of the scanner.

                    Correct solution: Change the scanner to FM mode.

                    Despite the fact that all Land Mobile users between 136 and 512 MHz are
                    supposed to be NFM by 17 months from now, about 90% of the users in my
                    area are still FM, and I bet it's a similar story all over the USA.

                    The XT series scanners default to NFM in the AUTO mode, so the only way
                    to receive something in FM mode is to set the mode specifically for FM.

                    Joe M.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 14, 2011
                      Not everyone - just Land Mobile between 136 and 512 MHz. There will
                      still be a lot of FM users around.

                      Joe M.

                      John wrote:
                      > That shouldn't be a problem in 2 years as everyone should be NFM in 2013,
                      > and systems are being upgraded daily to NFM....

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 14, 2011
                        Seeing the number of users here changing I doubt the number here is more
                        than 50% of those left to change over. Many have opted for the statewide
                        system while others are taking advantage and either getting their own
                        trunked systems or upgrading and updating their VHF or UHF systems with even
                        more channels. There are days when as many as 10 agencies are re-upping
                        their license with NFM changes. And surrounding states are doing the same
                        either joining their statewide systems or going NFM.
                        Even a small town I used to live in has gone through the process, adding 5
                        channels and getting everything to NFM almost a year ago and they don't have
                        a lot of money to work with.

                        dataman60435 wrote:
                        > It seems that high peaking voices dispatching seem to cause "clipping", i
                        > have put the "PL" in search mode and kept the "NFM" mode and the clipping
                        > stopped....Its mostly on loud volume dispatchers....I have a ham friend
                        > who speakes very loud in his mike , people are always telling him his
                        > transmissions are all chopped up=back off!!!!!!...
                        >
                        > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnstark@...> wrote:
                        >> That shouldn't be a problem in 2 years as everyone should be NFM in 2013,
                        >> and systems are being upgraded daily to NFM....

                      • John
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 14, 2011
                          Gee, that covers 75% of the users too....lol

                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 14, 2011
                            Where I'm visiting, I had to change a state freq. from NFM to FM...

                            Some small towns, in poor states take awhile...

                          • Michael Mast
                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 14, 2011
                              Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on how to get my scanner to give me the full transmission without cutting out for a second or two. I believe the problem was the weather alert. After the post telling me to check for alerts, I also noticed that the word, Weather, was on my screen. Since I turned it off, it has disappeared and I can now receive full transmissions. Thanks to everyone for this group because as a novice it gets very frustrating when you just can't figure something like this out but you really don't just want to give up either. Thanks!

                              Mike
                            • Dannypa_27
                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 14, 2011
                                I was quite disappointed to find out that using the emergency weather causes it to cut out like that. Also there is no option to have it only check when scanning as there in Close Call.

                                How could anyone possible want this "Feature" on the way it cuts out what u r listening too? For 500 dollars I would expect better.

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                On Aug 14, 2011, at 6:04 PM, Michael Mast <hisjoy4u@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on how to get my scanner to give me the full transmission without cutting out for a second or two. I believe the problem was the weather alert. After the post telling me to check for alerts, I also noticed that the word, Weather, was on my screen. Since I turned it off, it has disappeared and I can now receive full transmissions. Thanks to everyone for this group because as a novice it gets very frustrating when you just can't figure something like this out but you really don't just want to give up either. Thanks!
                                >
                                > Mike

                              • Dave Landrum
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                  Hello,

                                  You would need 2 receivers. As is, there is less of a chance to miss the WX Alert Tone. If WX is more important, consider a dedicated WX Radio.

                                  73

                                  Dave L.

                                  Sent from an Apple iGadget.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                    There is only one receiver, so there is no way to check for a weather
                                    alert without moving the receiver from the active frequency.

                                    You could have a WX-DND, but the chances of missing an alert would be
                                    pretty high - especially if you monitor a lot of active frequencies. So,
                                    it really would not be reliable that way.

                                    I use dedicated weather receivers. Sometimes if I'm not scanning, I may
                                    put the scanner on the weather alert, but the only way to reliably have
                                    a weather alert while scanning is to add a second receiver, and that
                                    would significantly add to the price of the scanner.

                                    Joe M.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                      I need a girlfriend DND...

                                      On Aug 15, 2011, at 6:26 AM, MCH wrote:

                                      > There is only one receiver, so there is no way to check for a weather
                                      > alert without moving the receiver from the active frequency.
                                      >
                                      > You could have a WX-DND, but the chances of missing an alert would be
                                      > pretty high - especially if you monitor a lot of active frequencies. So,
                                      > it really would not be reliable that way.
                                      >
                                      > I use dedicated weather receivers. Sometimes if I'm not scanning, I may
                                      > put the scanner on the weather alert, but the only way to reliably have
                                      > a weather alert while scanning is to add a second receiver, and that
                                      > would significantly add to the price of the scanner.
                                      >
                                      > Joe M.
                                      >
                                      > Dannypa_27 wrote:
                                      > > I was quite disappointed to find out that using the emergency weather causes it to cut out like that. Also there is no option to have it only check when scanning as there in Close Call.
                                      > >
                                      > > How could anyone possible want this "Feature" on the way it cuts out what u r listening too? For 500 dollars I would expect better.
                                      > >
                                      > > Sent from my iPhone
                                      > >
                                      > > On Aug 14, 2011, at 6:04 PM, Michael Mast <hisjoy4u@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > >> Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on how to get my scanner to give me the full transmission without cutting out for a second or two. I believe the problem was the weather alert. After the post telling me to check for alerts, I also noticed that the word, Weather, was on my screen. Since I turned it off, it has disappeared and I can now receive full transmissions. Thanks to everyone for this group because as a novice it gets very frustrating when you just can't figure something like this out but you really don't just want to give up either. Thanks!
                                      > >>
                                      > >> Mike

                                    • danny r
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                        If it can't check without the unbearable skips, sure wish they tried for a WX-DND with a disclaimer or something.  I was really excited when I read about it being able to do that, but after trying the feature, and finding out it was basically making my radio useless, was disappointed.  I also can't use priority scan for the exact same reason.

                                        That use to be an issue back in the 80's when I use to scan channels, and I figured they come up with a way to check without leaving the current active channel.  After all, a lot of things has changed since then in the electronic field.

                                        Thanks for taking the time explaining it to me.  (that they need 2 receivers to do this).

                                        --Danny

                                        dannypa_27@...

                                        http://danny.lookscool.com

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                          It's possible on a trunked system given certain conditions (usually
                                          limited by the TG being a priority TG and limited to the same trunked
                                          system), but for conventional frequencies you need to check the
                                          frequency for activity and the only way to do that is to leave the
                                          current frequency to check if the priority one is active, or add a
                                          second receiver that can check it while the main receiver is on the
                                          active frequency.

                                          Yes, electronics have come a long way, but physics has not changed in
                                          quite a few years, and I don't expect it to change for many more. There
                                          is no way to sample a second frequency without leaving the current one.

                                          What MAY change is the speed at which the priority frequencies are
                                          sampled, but of course the more priority channels you have the longer it
                                          will take to sample them. I have a GE radio that is so good the only
                                          time you can hear the sampling is when there is a constant tone on the
                                          current channel. But, it is only sampling one priority channel at a time.

                                          I do like your idea of WX-DND, but there would likely be too many
                                          liability issues. As it is, they have a warning that it should not be
                                          relied upon to warn of life endangering situations. Adding WX-DND means
                                          it would easily miss warnings entirely, and that would make the WX Alert
                                          feature largely useless.

                                          Joe M.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                            "for $500 I'd expect better" ...... WOW! That’s a pretty sad statement. I
                                            guess all the R&D (years in some cases) and license fees, and the need to
                                            feed, clothe and put a roof over a family mean nothing to some people. You
                                            want more then go buy a Motorola radio and spend $3000 to $5000 for it and
                                            see what you get. You'd soon learn the 396XT is a pretty good deal!

                                            I was quite disappointed to find out that using the emergency weather causes
                                            it to cut out like that. Also there is no option to have it only check when
                                            scanning as there in Close Call.

                                            How could anyone possible want this "Feature" on the way it cuts out what u
                                            r listening too? For 500 dollars I would expect better.

                                            Sent from my iPhone

                                            On Aug 14, 2011, at 6:04 PM, Michael Mast <hisjoy4u@...> wrote:

                                            > Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on how to get my scanner to give
                                            > me the full transmission without cutting out for a second or two. I
                                            > believe the problem was the weather alert. After the post telling me to
                                            > check for alerts, I also noticed that the word, Weather, was on my screen.
                                            > Since I turned it off, it has disappeared and I can now receive full
                                            > transmissions. Thanks to everyone for this group because as a novice it
                                            > gets very frustrating when you just can't figure something like this out
                                            > but you really don't just want to give up either. Thanks!
                                            >
                                            > Mike

                                          • Dannypa_27
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                              Was just my opinion. As I said earlier, I just assumed the skip wouldn't be there as it was in earlier scanners. (talking 80's and 90's).

                                              I guess in a place with little action it would be usable. In my area the skip is long enough that it can't be used.

                                              When I expressed my dissatisfaction, it was placed more at not being to use a cool feature. Not at the scanner and certainly not at other users.

                                              Sorry to offend anyone.

                                              --Danny

                                              Sent from my iPhone

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                                How many priority channels do you have?

                                                Joe M.

                                                Dannypa_27 wrote:
                                                > Was just my opinion. As I said earlier, I just assumed the skip wouldn't be there as it was in earlier scanners. (talking 80's and 90's).
                                                >
                                                > I guess in a place with little action it would be usable. In my area the skip is long enough that it can't be used.
                                                >
                                                > When I expressed my dissatisfaction, it was placed more at not being to use a cool feature. Not at the scanner and certainly not at other users.
                                                >
                                                > Sorry to offend anyone.
                                                >
                                                > --Danny
                                                >

                                                > Sent from my iPhone
                                                >
                                                > On Aug 15, 2011, at 11:22 AM, "John" <johnstark@...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                >> "for $500 I'd expect better" ...... WOW! That’s a pretty sad statement. I
                                                >> guess all the R&D (years in some cases) and license fees, and the need to
                                                >> feed, clothe and put a roof over a family mean nothing to some people. You
                                                >> want more then go buy a Motorola radio and spend $3000 to $5000 for it and
                                                >> see what you get. You'd soon learn the 396XT is a pretty good deal!

                                              • Dannypa_27
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                                  I only tried to have one, it being a talk group in a trunked system. It's our police talk group where all the exciting stuff comes from.

                                                  I only scan a handful of traditional channels.

                                                  No digital as far as I know.

                                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                                  On Aug 15, 2011, at 11:32 AM, MCH <mch@...> wrote:

                                                  > How many priority channels do you have?
                                                  >
                                                  > Joe M.
                                                  >
                                                  > Dannypa_27 wrote:
                                                  > > Was just my opinion. As I said earlier, I just assumed the skip wouldn't be there as it was in earlier scanners. (talking 80's and 90's).
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I guess in a place with little action it would be usable. In my area the skip is long enough that it can't be used.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > When I expressed my dissatisfaction, it was placed more at not being to use a cool feature. Not at the scanner and certainly not at other users.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Sorry to offend anyone.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --Danny
                                                  > >

                                                  > > Sent from my iPhone
                                                  > >
                                                  > > On Aug 15, 2011, at 11:22 AM, "John" <johnstark@...> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > >> "for $500 I'd expect better" ...... WOW! That’s a pretty sad statement. I
                                                  > >> guess all the R&D (years in some cases) and license fees, and the need to
                                                  > >> feed, clothe and put a roof over a family mean nothing to some people. You
                                                  > >> want more then go buy a Motorola radio and spend $3000 to $5000 for it and
                                                  > >> see what you get. You'd soon learn the 396XT is a pretty good deal!

                                                • John
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                                    I use it all the time, not 24/7 but if I know weather could be an issue....
                                                    I watch the news for the weather, then if I am out and they expect bad
                                                    weather I have it on. I'm in a very busy area, with 3 large (user wise)
                                                    trunked systems, constant chatter and rarely a dull moment and it works
                                                    fine. The trick is only using it when you absolutely must, not 24/7 since
                                                    the chances of something severe enough to warrant NWS dumping an alert is
                                                    pretty slim 90% of the time. I also have one priority on Conventional
                                                    channels and 5 on a trunked system, even those get turned off at certain
                                                    times.

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                                      I *think* the XT series will only 'honor' trunked priority while
                                                      scanning that trunked system. You should not be hearing gaps that are
                                                      that long. Are you sure you don't have any conventional priority channels?

                                                      Joe M.

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                                        What is the sampled interval per priority channel?

                                                      • Paul Opitz
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                                          Correct. For trunked priority, all priority info comes from the subaudible data
                                                          on the voice channel. You'll never have a break in audio for trunked priority.

                                                        • Dannypa_27
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                                            I will try it out again tonight. I had interval set at 1.

                                                            Sent from my iPhone

                                                          • David Klippel
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Aug 15, 2011
                                                              I have mine set 10sec and find that to be tolerable for one priority
                                                              channel of the local PD.