Programming Software

  • Ralph`
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 10, 2011
      What is the best software for programming my scanner
      Thanks: Ralph
    • Eric Knippert
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 10, 2011
        On 8/10/2011 12:07 PM, Ralph` wrote:

        > What is the best software for programming my scanner
        > Thanks: Ralph

        Sigh...not this again.
      • danny r
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 10, 2011
          I would recommend you do a search in this group and do some Google searches online.

          As everything, everyone has there own picks/views on what they value and which they feel is the best one for them.

          --Danny

          dannypa_27@...

          http://danny.lookscool.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 10, 2011
            FreeScan..... and it's free but the author accepts donations which helps
            keep him working on scanner software.

            Also search the messages, this questions been asked a lot....

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 10, 2011
              At 05:07 AM 8/11/2011, you wrote:
              >What is the best software for programming my scanner

              This has been discussed before, so it's worth searching through the
              group archives. I don't think there's a single "best" software
              package. Pick one that others think is good and suits your needs and
              budget. I use Freescan, which seems to do all I need, and the price
              is right as a bonus. I'd certainly recommend taking a look at Freescan.

              73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
              http://vkradio.com
            • J Harrell
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 10, 2011
                I also use freescan as it works well with and I have never had any problems with it not working correctly. Of course if your programming cable is like mine make sure you have a serial port available that works and you should be good to go. If you have a laptop you will probably need to purchase a usb to serial adapter to make it work unless your cable is already usb (mine wasn’t). If you need one here is the one I purchased. http://sewelldirect.com/usbtoserial.asp

                Take care and goodluck!

                Joey

                dannypa_27@... <mailto:dannypa_27%40yahoo.com>

                http://danny.lookscool.com

                > What is the best software for programming my scanner

                > Thanks: Ralph

                Sigh...not this again.

              • Alan Stern
                Message 7 of 15 , May 20, 2015
                  I've been out of this group for about 1.5 years.  Now that I have a BCD396XT and I'm an old dog and can't be taught new tricks, what software should I get?  I know this question has been asked a lot but any help will be appreciated.

                  Thanks
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 20, 2015
                    Everyone has their own favorites, Alan.  If you don't want to spend any money, then Freescan would be the way to go.  Very good program.  I paid the money and purchased ARCXT-PRO which I use most of the time.  There are a few minor things that one program will do that the other won't, but either one will suffice for most all programming, along with a subscription to RadioReference.com.  I believe ARCXT-PRO has a demo version you can try before buying the license.

                    Mike

                    On 5/20/2015 8:05 PM, Alan Stern alanlists@... [BCD396XT] wrote:
                    I've been out of this group for about 1.5 years.  Now that I have a BCD396XT and I'm an old dog and can't be taught new tricks, what software should I get?  I know this question has been asked a lot but any help will be appreciated.

                    Thanks

                  • N1CHU
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 21, 2015
                      Adding my two cents, agreeing with Mike. When it comes to aftermarket programming software, I use RT Systems for everything ham. But RT Systems doesn't make anything for scanners. So I use ARCXT-PRO which will manage both the BCD396T and BCD396XT. Owning one of each, I only need the one Butel programming software package.

                      I find that the Butel software has some issues I consider minor (a subjective term) because I have found workarounds, especially in the cut and paste capabilities, but only after some frustrating trial and error attempts to make it work as Butel advertised. If memory serves, Butel said that due to different OS's, and personal customized computer settings, which they have no control over, some aspects of their software may not work. But overall, their stuff works well, comes with added features. Using both the supplied and aftermarket software as Mike stated serves me well.

                      I have always maintained that software supplied by the manufacturer of the radio is developed to be bulletproof, performing flawlessly on the OS's it's designed for. And the extras are deliberately left out due to the issues like the one(s) I experienced. This cuts down on the number of inquiries they need to deal with and maintains their reputation. The more calls for help, due to buggy software, the more implied displeasure with the package (radio/software). It shows up on the user groups. Where it influences market share. So in this case, less is better.

                      Check out the users groups and forums, WiKi, etc. for
                      aftermarket software. Radioreference and Yahoo Groups are a good place to start. There, you will find users posting concerns, solutions, and overall ratings in addition to what you will find here.

                      Hope this helps,
                      Bill
                    • toledohamradio
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 21, 2015

                        Will FREESCAN allow you to import listings from RadioReference?

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 21, 2015
                          Yes - directly or using EZ-Grab.

                          Joe M.

                          On 5/21/2015 9:31 AM, toledohamradio@... [BCD396XT] wrote:

                          > Will FREESCAN allow you to import listings from RadioReference?
                          >

                          > No virus found in this message.

                        • brey1234
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 30, 2015
                            I have had good luck with Butel

                            In a message dated 5/20/2015 10:17:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com writes:

                            I've been out of this group for about 1.5 years.  Now that I have a BCD396XT and I'm an old dog and can't be taught new tricks, what software should I get?  I know this question has been asked a lot but any help will be appreciated.

                            Thanks
                          • Stephen Krug

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 30, 2015
                                I like using FreeScan. It is a free program. Here is the link:
                                also check out this link: FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

                              • n1chu
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 31, 2015
                                  Butel. The ARC stuff. There are two levels for the 396XT. I use the Pro, or higher level. Yes, it costs some money, and you would also need to throw some coins towards RADIOREFERENCE for their auto download feature into your scanner. (RR is free to look at, use their data to manually program your scanner but you asked for ease of programming). And the Free Scan does the same thing for you. Again, you need to support RR-their site shows the payment structure. Listing the differences between the two aftermarket programs I leave to someone else. And frankly, I don't remember what software comes with the 396XT, so I can't speak to that. I do not believe it is capable of doenloading data directly into the scanner as the newer Sentenel software for the newest UNIDEN BCD436HP and BCD536HP radios.
                                  I'd go the Free Scan route first and study the Butel offerings afterwards, (Butel may have trial versions) see what extras interest you and go from there. It's the cheapest route, the only expense is to RR for the automatic downloads. But I believe Free Scan also has a "show your appreciation" by donating whatever you think it's worth, should you be so inclined.

                                  Bill