RE: [BCD396XT] New Batteries

  • Dean B. Dalrymple
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 9, 2011
      Not too long ago I did some research on those 2900mah batteries and
      apparently that's not the true reading. They are only available from
      bottom end second rate manufactures who are manipulating the numbers
      and the testing process to get that reading.

      My favorite set of batteries has been Duracell's. (not the
      pre-charged ones, but the regular rechargable) The set I had were
      2650mah and they were fantastic. Unfortunately something happened to
      them or my charger last year when I moved and two of them keep coming
      up bad (along with about half of my rechargable batteries).

      It looks like Duracell has reduced them to 2450, but I would still
      recommend them.

      Dean

      At 05:37 PM 8/9/2011, you wrote:
      >LSD eneloops made by Sanyo and are rated at 2000mah?
      >I read somewhere that there were some 2900mah batteries
    • J Harrell
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 9, 2011
        Jeff,

        Thanks for replying, mine were also 2250mah. I also noticed that after a year the battery capacity just went down hill and got to the point that they would not hold a charge at all. I will do some more looking and see what is available, I was thinking about getting some high capacity LSD batts to use but will see what other options exist.

        Thanks,

        Joey

        From: J Harrell <scannerman@... <mailto:scannerman%40embarqmail.com> >
        To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2011, 4:37 PM

        Hello,

        I am in need of getting a new set of batteries for my BCD396XT. Just
        wondering if anyone has been using any of the newer LSD eneloops made by
        Sanyo and are rated at 2000mah? If so what kind of runtime do you get with
        the 2000mah batteries? I would like to have the sometime that would give me
        the longest runtime and I read somewhere that there were some 2900mah
        batteries available but the eneloops would be a better solution. I use the
        radio almost daily but sometimes don't that is why I was leaning toward the
        eneloops since I have some I use with a digital camera and so far I have not
        had to charge them but once. Just wondering what do you suggest as I plan
        on buying soon.

        Thanks,

        Joey

      • Dannypa_27
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 9, 2011
          I also use the Eneloop batteries. I also agree they work great in everything including the scanner.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Aug 9, 2011, at 11:24 PM, John Kintz <asheville307@...> wrote:

          > J Harrell wrote:
          > >

          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I am in need of getting a new set of batteries for my BCD396XT. Just
          > > wondering if anyone has been using any of the newer LSD eneloops made by
          > > Sanyo and are rated at 2000mah?
          > >

          > I think the Eneloop batteries are great. I use them in several digital
          > cameras, as well as my portable scanners. I don't typically use the
          > portable scanners every day, so I can't really say how long the
          > batteries might last in hard daily use, but I love the fact that they
          > can remain in my equipment for months (really!) and still work when I
          > want them to.

        • Rick
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
            I switched to the Eneloops and am very happy with them. I think the run time is comparable to the original batteries plus these retain a charge in storage which is great for my use. I have three sets for my 396XT and rotate through them. When I travel I take all three sets with me and get through a typical weekend this way and recharge when get home. I use them in my HP-1 too.

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
              Thanks for all the replies, I was looking at the Maha Imedion 2400 AA Low
              Discharge Batteries in compairsion to the Sanyo Eneloops that are rated at
              2000mah, I was thinking about going with the Maha Imedion 2400 because they
              have 400mah more capacity over the Eneloops. What are your thoughts and
              comments on this, I have really heard good things about the eneloops but
              some gain in capacity is worth looking at. Again I really appreciate your
              help with this and I just can't seem to make up my mind.

              Thanks,

              Joey

            • Dannypa_27
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                I personally would not get to hung up on them ratings. Buying 2 is not that expensive. I would recommend buying 2 of the Eneloops and given them a test drive. I doubt you would be disappointed. I use them in everything and am very happy with them.

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Aug 10, 2011, at 9:12 AM, "J Harrell" <scannerman@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for all the replies, I was looking at the Maha Imedion 2400 AA Low
                > Discharge Batteries in compairsion to the Sanyo Eneloops that are rated at
                > 2000mah, I was thinking about going with the Maha Imedion 2400 because they
                > have 400mah more capacity over the Eneloops. What are your thoughts and
                > comments on this, I have really heard good things about the eneloops but
                > some gain in capacity is worth looking at. Again I really appreciate your
                > help with this and I just can't seem to make up my mind.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Joey

              • chavalo007
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                  It sounds like everyone has had good results with Eneloop batteries. Could someone post a link or recommend where to buy them? It looks like the Eneloop batteries are only available in 2000mAh. Even though that is lower than the factory-supplied 2250mAh batteries, are the Eneloop 2000mAh still recommended?

                  Thanks!

                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "J Harrell" <scannerman@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for all the replies, I was looking at the Maha Imedion 2400 AA Low
                  > Discharge Batteries in compairsion to the Sanyo Eneloops that are rated at
                  > 2000mah, I was thinking about going with the Maha Imedion 2400 because they
                  > have 400mah more capacity over the Eneloops. What are your thoughts and
                  > comments on this, I have really heard good things about the eneloops but
                  > some gain in capacity is worth looking at. Again I really appreciate your
                  > help with this and I just can't seem to make up my mind.
                  >

                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Joey

                • danny r
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                    I really wouldn't get too hung up on the rating, and go more by how long they last in your devices.   I have bought all my on http://www.amazon.com

                    The only small bad thing with them, is they use to come in these very cool re-usable packages.  You could use them to store the batteries and they snapped open/close and was really nice.  Was a very cool and usefully idea.

                    Now they come in disposable packages, that can't be used to store the batteries and have to be thrown away.  Very disappointing.

                    --Danny

                    dannypa_27@...

                    http://danny.lookscool.com

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                      Try Amazon, they have lots of eneloops.

                      Derek

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                        I did a little research and the Imedions have a higher rating then the Eneloops. I would google them as I
                        don't have the link available to where you can get them.

                        Side note:

                        I've run the Energizer 2450mah. I've had a few them go bad.

                        I also have the Powerex 2700mah which last in the radio quite a long time.

                        Charger is the MH C401FS which can charge up to four batts individually so 3 is perfect for radio.

                        On Aug 9, 2011, at 8:24 PM, John Kintz wrote:

                        > J Harrell wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Hello,
                        > >
                        > > I am in need of getting a new set of batteries for my BCD396XT. Just
                        > > wondering if anyone has been using any of the newer LSD eneloops made by
                        > > Sanyo and are rated at 2000mah?
                        > >

                        > I think the Eneloop batteries are great. I use them in several digital
                        > cameras, as well as my portable scanners. I don't typically use the
                        > portable scanners every day, so I can't really say how long the
                        > batteries might last in hard daily use, but I love the fact that they
                        > can remain in my equipment for months (really!) and still work when I
                        > want them to.

                      • Eric Knippert
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011

                          http://www.thomasdistributing.com/
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                            Eric,

                            That is the link I wanted to post. They have the Imedions. 400mah more capacity per cell then Eneloops.

                            On Aug 10, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Eric Knippert wrote:

                            > On 8/9/2011 7:50 PM, J Harrell wrote:
                            >
                            > > Thanks for replying, mine were also 2250mah. I also noticed that after a
                            > > year the battery capacity just went down hill and got to the point that
                            > > they would not hold a charge at all. I will do some more looking and see
                            > > what is available, I was thinking about getting some high capacity LSD
                            > > batts to use but will see what other options exist.
                            >
                            > http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

                          • Brian Hall
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                              I ended up ordering the Sanyo Eneloop XX 2500mAh from Amazon.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 13, 2011
                                The Sanyo Eneloop XX's are pretty good. I notice that after a 16 hour charge, the voltage on the BCD396XT shows 4.1 (on the top right when you press the volume knob down once), and then quickly drops to 3.93-3.98. After an hour or so, it drains much slower with continuous use, and tends to really go slow and give hours of use in the 3.7-3.8 range. I can't remember what my original battery life was with the original factory ones, but it seems to be much better than I was getting in recent weeks.

                                What is considered good battery life for the BCD396XT?

                                Thanks!