RE: [BCD396XT] New Batteries

  • J Harrell
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 9, 2011
      Hello,

      I am in need of getting a new set of batteries for my BCD396XT. Just
      wondering if anyone has been using any of the newer LSD eneloops made by
      Sanyo and are rated at 2000mah? If so what kind of runtime do you get with
      the 2000mah batteries? I would like to have the sometime that would give me
      the longest runtime and I read somewhere that there were some 2900mah
      batteries available but the eneloops would be a better solution. I use the
      radio almost daily but sometimes don't that is why I was leaning toward the
      eneloops since I have some I use with a digital camera and so far I have not
      had to charge them but once. Just wondering what do you suggest as I plan
      on buying soon.

      Thanks,

      Joey

    • Dean B. Dalrymple
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 9, 2011
        Not too long ago I did some research on those 2900mah batteries and
        apparently that's not the true reading. They are only available from
        bottom end second rate manufactures who are manipulating the numbers
        and the testing process to get that reading.

        My favorite set of batteries has been Duracell's. (not the
        pre-charged ones, but the regular rechargable) The set I had were
        2650mah and they were fantastic. Unfortunately something happened to
        them or my charger last year when I moved and two of them keep coming
        up bad (along with about half of my rechargable batteries).

        It looks like Duracell has reduced them to 2450, but I would still
        recommend them.

        Dean

        At 05:37 PM 8/9/2011, you wrote:
        >LSD eneloops made by Sanyo and are rated at 2000mah?
        >I read somewhere that there were some 2900mah batteries
      • Jeffry Rehm
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 9, 2011
          The batteries that came with my scanner were 2250mah. I usually charge, or have on the charger, the batteries daily. They lasted easily one full year before I started to notice a drop in performance. I replaced them with a name brand (headquartered in St. Louis) 2300mah battery. So far so good. I wanted to keep the mah as close as posible to the original equipment. Just my input.

          jeff

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 9, 2011
            Jeff,

            Thanks for replying, mine were also 2250mah. I also noticed that after a year the battery capacity just went down hill and got to the point that they would not hold a charge at all. I will do some more looking and see what is available, I was thinking about getting some high capacity LSD batts to use but will see what other options exist.

            Thanks,

            Joey

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 9, 2011
              J Harrell wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I am in need of getting a new set of batteries for my BCD396XT. Just
              > wondering if anyone has been using any of the newer LSD eneloops made by
              > Sanyo and are rated at 2000mah?

              I think the Eneloop batteries are great. I use them in several digital
              cameras, as well as my portable scanners. I don't typically use the
              portable scanners every day, so I can't really say how long the
              batteries might last in hard daily use, but I love the fact that they
              can remain in my equipment for months (really!) and still work when I
              want them to.
            • Dannypa_27
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 9, 2011
                I also use the Eneloop batteries. I also agree they work great in everything including the scanner.

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Aug 9, 2011, at 11:24 PM, John Kintz <asheville307@...> wrote:

                > J Harrell wrote:
                > >

                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > I am in need of getting a new set of batteries for my BCD396XT. Just
                > > wondering if anyone has been using any of the newer LSD eneloops made by
                > > Sanyo and are rated at 2000mah?
                > >

                > I think the Eneloop batteries are great. I use them in several digital
                > cameras, as well as my portable scanners. I don't typically use the
                > portable scanners every day, so I can't really say how long the
                > batteries might last in hard daily use, but I love the fact that they
                > can remain in my equipment for months (really!) and still work when I
                > want them to.

              • Rick
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                  I switched to the Eneloops and am very happy with them. I think the run time is comparable to the original batteries plus these retain a charge in storage which is great for my use. I have three sets for my 396XT and rotate through them. When I travel I take all three sets with me and get through a typical weekend this way and recharge when get home. I use them in my HP-1 too.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                    Thanks for all the replies, I was looking at the Maha Imedion 2400 AA Low
                    Discharge Batteries in compairsion to the Sanyo Eneloops that are rated at
                    2000mah, I was thinking about going with the Maha Imedion 2400 because they
                    have 400mah more capacity over the Eneloops. What are your thoughts and
                    comments on this, I have really heard good things about the eneloops but
                    some gain in capacity is worth looking at. Again I really appreciate your
                    help with this and I just can't seem to make up my mind.

                    Thanks,

                    Joey

                  • Dannypa_27
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                      I personally would not get to hung up on them ratings. Buying 2 is not that expensive. I would recommend buying 2 of the Eneloops and given them a test drive. I doubt you would be disappointed. I use them in everything and am very happy with them.

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Aug 10, 2011, at 9:12 AM, "J Harrell" <scannerman@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for all the replies, I was looking at the Maha Imedion 2400 AA Low
                      > Discharge Batteries in compairsion to the Sanyo Eneloops that are rated at
                      > 2000mah, I was thinking about going with the Maha Imedion 2400 because they
                      > have 400mah more capacity over the Eneloops. What are your thoughts and
                      > comments on this, I have really heard good things about the eneloops but
                      > some gain in capacity is worth looking at. Again I really appreciate your
                      > help with this and I just can't seem to make up my mind.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Joey

                    • chavalo007
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                        It sounds like everyone has had good results with Eneloop batteries. Could someone post a link or recommend where to buy them? It looks like the Eneloop batteries are only available in 2000mAh. Even though that is lower than the factory-supplied 2250mAh batteries, are the Eneloop 2000mAh still recommended?

                        Thanks!

                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "J Harrell" <scannerman@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for all the replies, I was looking at the Maha Imedion 2400 AA Low
                        > Discharge Batteries in compairsion to the Sanyo Eneloops that are rated at
                        > 2000mah, I was thinking about going with the Maha Imedion 2400 because they
                        > have 400mah more capacity over the Eneloops. What are your thoughts and
                        > comments on this, I have really heard good things about the eneloops but
                        > some gain in capacity is worth looking at. Again I really appreciate your
                        > help with this and I just can't seem to make up my mind.
                        >

                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Joey

                      • danny r
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                          I really wouldn't get too hung up on the rating, and go more by how long they last in your devices.   I have bought all my on http://www.amazon.com

                          The only small bad thing with them, is they use to come in these very cool re-usable packages.  You could use them to store the batteries and they snapped open/close and was really nice.  Was a very cool and usefully idea.

                          Now they come in disposable packages, that can't be used to store the batteries and have to be thrown away.  Very disappointing.

                          --Danny

                          dannypa_27@...

                          http://danny.lookscool.com

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                            Try Amazon, they have lots of eneloops.

                            Derek

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                              I did a little research and the Imedions have a higher rating then the Eneloops. I would google them as I
                              don't have the link available to where you can get them.

                              Side note:

                              I've run the Energizer 2450mah. I've had a few them go bad.

                              I also have the Powerex 2700mah which last in the radio quite a long time.

                              Charger is the MH C401FS which can charge up to four batts individually so 3 is perfect for radio.

                              On Aug 9, 2011, at 8:24 PM, John Kintz wrote:

                              > J Harrell wrote:
                              > >

                              > > Hello,
                              > >
                              > > I am in need of getting a new set of batteries for my BCD396XT. Just
                              > > wondering if anyone has been using any of the newer LSD eneloops made by
                              > > Sanyo and are rated at 2000mah?
                              > >

                              > I think the Eneloop batteries are great. I use them in several digital
                              > cameras, as well as my portable scanners. I don't typically use the
                              > portable scanners every day, so I can't really say how long the
                              > batteries might last in hard daily use, but I love the fact that they
                              > can remain in my equipment for months (really!) and still work when I
                              > want them to.

                            • Eric Knippert
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011

                                http://www.thomasdistributing.com/
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                                  Eric,

                                  That is the link I wanted to post. They have the Imedions. 400mah more capacity per cell then Eneloops.

                                  On Aug 10, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Eric Knippert wrote:

                                  > On 8/9/2011 7:50 PM, J Harrell wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Thanks for replying, mine were also 2250mah. I also noticed that after a
                                  > > year the battery capacity just went down hill and got to the point that
                                  > > they would not hold a charge at all. I will do some more looking and see
                                  > > what is available, I was thinking about getting some high capacity LSD
                                  > > batts to use but will see what other options exist.
                                  >
                                  > http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

                                • Brian Hall
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 10, 2011
                                    I ended up ordering the Sanyo Eneloop XX 2500mAh from Amazon.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 13, 2011
                                      The Sanyo Eneloop XX's are pretty good. I notice that after a 16 hour charge, the voltage on the BCD396XT shows 4.1 (on the top right when you press the volume knob down once), and then quickly drops to 3.93-3.98. After an hour or so, it drains much slower with continuous use, and tends to really go slow and give hours of use in the 3.7-3.8 range. I can't remember what my original battery life was with the original factory ones, but it seems to be much better than I was getting in recent weeks.

                                      What is considered good battery life for the BCD396XT?

                                      Thanks!