BCD396XT Intermediate Frequencies / image reception

  • ANDY - WY5V
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
      In looking up the specifications for the scanner I find the following information:

      1st IF: 380.7 to 380.8 MHz / 265.5 to 265.6 MHz
      2nd IF: 10.8 MHz
      3rd IF: 450 kHz

      I know that there is an IF shift feature. But before I use it, I want to know if there is anything special about 7.66 MHz. The reason I ask. I have discovered that when two particular transmitters are on the air, I hear them both on another frequency. Here are the stations involved:

      162.400 KEC56
      154.740 KLD811
      147.080 RX only

      KEC56 is the local NWS All Hazards Radio station. So it is on the air continuously. When KLD811 keys up, I hear them both on my scanner on 147.080. Here is the arithmetic:

      162.400 - 154.740 = 7.66 MHz
      154.740 - 147.080 = 7.66 MHz

      So, does anyone know if there is anything special about 7.66 MHz inside the BCD396XT?

      Andy
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
        What you are describing has nothing to do with the XT - or any radio for
        that matter. It is classic 2A-B intermod (AKA mixing). Where it is
        mixing could be anything from the PA of the NOAA transmitter to a loose
        connection on your roof. It could also be mixing in the front end of
        your receiver.

        CTCSS will only help if the 147.080 frequency CTCSS is different than
        that used on 154.740 MHz. Or, you can use an RF filter (AKA cavity)
        which may or may not help the problem. It will help if the mix is in the
        front end of your receiver. It will not help is the mix is anywhere else.

        You would likely hear the same thing on any receiver tuned to 147.08 MHz.

        The only significance of 7.66 MHz is that it is the separation of the A
        and B transmitters, and of the A transmitter and your receive frequency.

        The same thing will often happen with any two transmitters where you are
        trying to monitor a frequency that is 2A-B MHz away.

        In your case:

        162.400 = B
        154.740 = A
        147.080

        Joe M.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
          BTW, you can TRY the IF shift, but if the mixing is external the product
          is already on 147.080 MHz, so nothing will help short of filtering out
          147.080 MHz (which would adversely affect your reception on-frequency).

          You COULD also try the ATTenuator on that channel. That may solve it.

          Joe M.

          ANDY - WY5V wrote:
          > In looking up the specifications for the scanner I find the following information:
          >
          > 1st IF: 380.7 to 380.8 MHz / 265.5 to 265.6 MHz
          > 2nd IF: 10.8 MHz
          > 3rd IF: 450 kHz
          >
          > I know that there is an IF shift feature. But before I use it, I want to know if there is anything special about 7.66 MHz. The reason I ask. I have discovered that when two particular transmitters are on the air, I hear them both on another frequency. Here are the stations involved:
          >
          > 162.400 KEC56
          > 154.740 KLD811
          > 147.080 RX only
          >
          > KEC56 is the local NWS All Hazards Radio station. So it is on the air continuously. When KLD811 keys up, I hear them both on my scanner on 147.080. Here is the arithmetic:
          >

          > 162.400 - 154.740 = 7.66 MHz
          > 154.740 - 147.080 = 7.66 MHz
          >
          > So, does anyone know if there is anything special about 7.66 MHz inside the BCD396XT?
          >
          > Andy

        • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
            At 10:22 AM 8/3/2011, you wrote:
            >In looking up the specifications for the scanner I find the
            >following information:
            >
            > 1st IF: 380.7 to 380.8 MHz / 265.5 to 265.6 MHz
            > 2nd IF: 10.8 MHz
            > 3rd IF: 450 kHz
            >
            >I know that there is an IF shift feature. But before I use it, I
            >want to know if there is anything special about 7.66 MHz. The reason
            >I ask. I have discovered that when two particular transmitters are
            >on the air, I hear them both on another frequency. Here are the
            >stations involved:
            >
            >162.400 KEC56
            >154.740 KLD811
            >147.080 RX only
            >
            >KEC56 is the local NWS All Hazards Radio station. So it is on the
            >air continuously. When KLD811 keys up, I hear them both on my
            >scanner on 147.080. Here is the arithmetic:
            >

            >162.400 - 154.740 = 7.66 MHz
            >154.740 - 147.080 = 7.66 MHz
            >
            >So, does anyone know if there is anything special about 7.66 MHz
            >inside the BCD396XT?

            This looks more like a classic 3rd order intermodulation
            scenario. Are one or both of the signals particularly
            strong? Anyway, let's see the math:

            2x(154.740) - 162.400 = 147.080 MHz.

            The question is whether this is happening in the scanner's front end
            or external to it (most often it happens in the radio, though
            external factors can sometimes cause intermods).

            73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
            http://vkradio.com
          • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
              At 10:54 AM 8/3/2011, you wrote:
              >BTW, you can TRY the IF shift, but if the mixing is external the product
              >is already on 147.080 MHz, so nothing will help short of filtering out
              >147.080 MHz (which would adversely affect your reception on-frequency).
              >
              >You COULD also try the ATTenuator on that channel. That may solve it.

              Th issue is to determine if the interference is internal or external
              to the scanner. If it's internal, the attenuator may help, otherwise
              you will need to filter out one or both of the offending
              frequencies. If the source of interference is external, it would
              need to be tracked down, and if under your control (e.g. corroded
              antenna connector), get it fixed, otherwise there's not much you can
              do except use a directional antenna pointing at the desired 147.080
              MHz source, along with CTCSS to minimise unwanted squelch openings.

              73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
              http://vkradio.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
                One last comment. This differs from image reception in that image
                reception is the reception of a *single* frequency that is 2X MHz away
                from your intended receive frequency. The X would be the value of your
                receivers 2nd I.F.

                For example, receiving 162.400 MHz on 140.800 MHz would be an example of
                image reception. (using a receiver with a 10.8 MHz 2nd I.F.). The IF
                shift would definitely solve this issue.

                Joe M.

                MCH wrote:
                > BTW, you can TRY the IF shift, but if the mixing is external the product
                > is already on 147.080 MHz, so nothing will help short of filtering out
                > 147.080 MHz (which would adversely affect your reception on-frequency).
                >
                > You COULD also try the ATTenuator on that channel. That may solve it.
                >
                > Joe M.
                >
                > ANDY - WY5V wrote:
                >> In looking up the specifications for the scanner I find the following information:
                >>
                >> 1st IF: 380.7 to 380.8 MHz / 265.5 to 265.6 MHz
                >> 2nd IF: 10.8 MHz
                >> 3rd IF: 450 kHz
                >>
                >> I know that there is an IF shift feature. But before I use it, I want to know if there is anything special about 7.66 MHz. The reason I ask. I have discovered that when two particular transmitters are on the air, I hear them both on another frequency. Here are the stations involved:
                >>
                >> 162.400 KEC56
                >> 154.740 KLD811
                >> 147.080 RX only
                >>
                >> KEC56 is the local NWS All Hazards Radio station. So it is on the air continuously. When KLD811 keys up, I hear them both on my scanner on 147.080. Here is the arithmetic:
                >>

                >> 162.400 - 154.740 = 7.66 MHz
                >> 154.740 - 147.080 = 7.66 MHz
                >>
                >> So, does anyone know if there is anything special about 7.66 MHz inside the BCD396XT?
                >>
                >> Andy

              • Andy Carstarphen
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
                  It looks like it is mixing occurring in the front of the receiver. I set my service monitor to generate a signal on 154.740 and as soon as I placed it into GENerate mode, it duplicated the event. I turned the IF shift on for that channel but it made no difference. I was performing a 2 meter audit using the logging feature of Free Scan. I'll just have to handle that particular frequency manually.

                  Thanks,

                  Andy Carstarphen - WY5V

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
                    Assuming a 15 kHz channel plan (correct me if you're using a 20 kHz
                    plan): Is the problem an issue on 147.075 MHz as well? If not, can you
                    simply lock out 147.080 MHz from the search?

                    You could also try the notch filter (cavity or shorted stub) tuned to
                    162.400 MHz which would do two things:

                    1. Get rid of one of the intermod products (which should eliminate the
                    mix since it's in your receiver), and

                    2. Likely increase the sensitivity of your receiver, as the 162.400 MHz
                    transmitter must be pretty strong where you are located.

                    If you have the problem with those two frequencies, you may have the
                    same from say 162.400 and 154.770 ending up on 147.140 MHz. It's always
                    a good idea to attenuate a strong RF signal near your receiver's location.

                    You could also put say a Micor or MASTR II front end in line with your
                    scanner, but that would likely reduce the sensitive range to a MHz or
                    so. Since you have the generator, you could easily tune one of those
                    front ends to the band of interest.

                    I've put notch cavities on equipment located at the same site and had
                    usable reception as close as 60 kHz away from the transmitter. You are
                    dealing with a much easier situation.

                    Joe M.

                    Andy Carstarphen wrote:
                    > It looks like it is mixing occurring in the front of the receiver. I set my service monitor to generate a signal on 154.740 and as soon as I placed it into GENerate mode, it duplicated the event. I turned the IF shift on for that channel but it made no difference. I was performing a 2 meter audit using the logging feature of Free Scan. I'll just have to handle that particular frequency manually.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >

                    > Andy Carstarphen - WY5V
                    >

                    >> ________________________________

                    >>> 154.740 KLD811
                    >>> 147.080 RX only
                    >>>
                    >>> KEC56 is the local NWS All Hazards Radio station. So it is on the air continuously. When KLD811 keys up, I hear them both on my scanner on 147.080. Here is the arithmetic:
                    >>>

                    >>> 162.400 - 154.740 = 7.66 MHz
                    >>> 154.740 - 147.080 = 7.66 MHz
                    >>>
                    >>> So, does anyone know if there is anything special about 7.66 MHz inside the BCD396XT?
                    >>>
                    >>> Andy

                  • Andy Carstarphen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
                      Texas currently uses a 20 KHz band plan. I will simply use a different radio to monitor that frequency for activity. Of the nearly 300 frequencies I have programmed in, this is the only one that has encountered the problem.

                      73,

                      Andy Carstarphen - WY5V

                      >________________________________

                      >>> 154.740 = A
                      >>> 147.080
                      >>>
                      >>> Joe M.

                    • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
                        At 04:14 PM 8/3/2011, you wrote:
                        >Texas currently uses a 20 KHz band plan. I will simply use a
                        >different radio to monitor that frequency for activity. Of the
                        >nearly 300 frequencies I have programmed in, this is the only one
                        >that has encountered the problem.

                        Sounds like it's the front end of the scanner that's causing the intermod.

                        73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                        http://vkradio.com