scanners

  • butch
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 24, 2011
      want to buy a new scanner witch is better 396xt or 106
    • Mark Levine, D.C.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 24, 2011
        The HP 1 with the new advanced features

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 24, 2011
          You might want to consider what your needs are, and then inquire about the qualities of each:

          -physical size
          -weight
          -audio quality
          -how long does the radio run on a set of good batteries?
          -ease of programming?
          -is the display easy to read?

          Radio Reference has some reviews of both products.
          You could google for more reviews.

          You could read posts in the forums for both scanners up on Radio Reference, get some first hand experiences from owners...

          -L

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 24, 2011
            Doesn't look like with the advanced features update of the HP-1 that "Close Call" feature was included...

            If it has, point it out to me.

            I know this is off topic to 396XT.

            On Jul 24, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Mark Levine, D.C. wrote:

            > The HP 1 with the new advanced features

          • John
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 24, 2011
              No close call, but it has search functions and RF Power Plot, both capable
              of more than close call if they do what they say it will. I find close call
              pretty useless for any real use.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 24, 2011
                Interesting John,

                Are you running the stock antenna with your 396XT?

                -L

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 24, 2011
                  nope, I have several antennas to choose from

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 24, 2011
                    That all depends on what you want it to do and were you are located.

                    The XT is better in dense RF environments (urban areas) while the 106 is
                    better in more rural areas. Also, each has unique features that only you
                    can say if those are wanted features.

                    Joe M.

                    butch wrote:
                    > want to buy a new scanner witch is better 396xt or 106
                  • AAR9SM
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 25, 2011
                      As others have said it depends on the features you want and need. If you are
                      planning on listening to Mil- Air or Vhf and Uhf in my opinion and
                      comparisons I have done with the same antennas inside and outside and with
                      the ATT feature on and off the 396xt and the 396T both pick up Vhf and Uhf
                      transmissions much easier whereas the Pro-106 does not even break squelch on
                      the same freqs.

                      On the other hand if you are mainly monitoring 700/800 MHz area the 106
                      does very well in this area and cannot be beat in digital decoding. And I do
                      have a copy of test ran on a variety radios that confirm this as well.

                      Remember these test were not done by me. From what I can determine it was
                      written by Credit Jeffrey Pryor, Don Starr, Mike Vander Veer for material in
                      this document. I can send a copy to whoever would like one let me know.
                      Below is just a bit of info included.

                      That compares the GRE made PRO-2096, PRO-97, PRO-2055, and PSR-500 to the

                      Uniden PRO-83, BC246T, BC780XLT, BC796D, BCD396T, and BC996T. This is a
                      bench test for

                      raw sensitivity and does not test overload, desense etc. A single signal is
                      applied to

                      the scanner and the squelch control is set at minimum.

                      Fluke 6060B Signal Generator

                      Wavetek A151 20dB Attenuator DC-2000 MHz

                      Pomona 2249-C-36 RG-58 cable (Belden 8262), 3 feet long, -0.6dB @ 900 MHz

                      Audio isolated detector circuit

                      Fluke 8050A meter, DC scale, dB function

                      20 dB Quieting Test, All Channels NFM Mode except PRO-83 and PRO-2096 FM
                      mode

                      When judging sensitivity blanket statements are not useful as there are
                      variations for

                      each band among the radios. At VHF-LO and the civil air band all the radios
                      are about

                      equal except the BC780 which is worse than the others. On the VHF-HI band
                      there is a

                      spread of sensitivity values with the BCD996 best and the BC780 worst; my
                      PSR500 was

                      less sensitive than most other radios on VHF-HI. On the Mil-Air band the
                      2096 is by far

                      the worst since it wasn't really designed to cover that band. Among the
                      other radios the

                      PSR-500 is worst in this band. At UHF frequencies the PSR-500 is also the
                      worst and in

                      general GRE radios are not as sensitive as Unidens at UHF. At 800 MHz The
                      PSR-500 and

                      BCD996 are the most sensitive, and the BC780 is the worst.

                      I want to buy a new scanner witch is better 396xt or 106

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 25, 2011
                        I'd disagree, here the 106 couldn't decode MECA very well even in the city
                        limits, wouldn't even hear the CC most of the time at home while the 396XT
                        and HP-1 both decoded it fine at home. I tried it with several antennas,
                        inside and out, even on two outside antennas and the only one that it
                        actually could receive the CC on was a 70' high discone and it still only
                        had one bar while the 396XT with the same 1 bar decoded the system fine and
                        the HP-1 had 2 bars and excellent decode. The HP-1 typically does better on
                        800 and decode of digital better than anything out now.
                        Just an fyi all three radios were connected to the antenna through a DLI
                        multicoupler (16 channel)

                        On the other hand if you are mainly monitoring 700/800 MHz area the 106
                        does very well in this area and cannot be beat in digital decoding. And I do
                        have a copy of test ran on a variety radios that confirm this as well.
                      • dataman60435
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 26, 2011
                          I do like my GRE/RS scanners but also like the above post here on the ILL-700/800 Digital Starcom statewide system my 396XT decodes the system great almost everywhere in my home with a RS rubber duck but i cannot find a good spot anywhere to get a good constant signal on my GRE500 using the same antenna...They (GRE) advertized the 500 as the best decoding scanner but here in my area its not true, maybe other locations are better....