P25 Trunking questions

  • vk2kit
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16 8:54 PM
      OK, so am trying to monitor a large Motorola P25 astro trunking system.
      Have set a single trunk group up with all 30 (ish) control channels covering the entire network. But, now I am mising calls.

      When I program the same trunk group with only one or two of the closest control channels, the scanner works fine and I receive trunk calls again.

      Another issue.. Can someone tell me how the trunk function operates?
      When you scan a trunk group with multiple control channels, does the scanner monitor/scan all control channels continuously or simply vote to the strongest?

      If it scans all the control channels, how is the scanner going to respond to a call if it is off scanning control channels that may be out of range? Is this where my problem lies?

      Any help would be appreciated..

      Cheers all
    • Paul Opitz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17 6:26 AM
        If you programmed all frequencies into a single group, then the scanner will
        stop on the first control channel it can receive. It will not check other
        frequencies (as sites only ever have a single active control channel at any one
        time). If the received control channel is weak, then you'll likely miss many
        transmissions.

        The proper way to program multisite is to program each site's frequencies into a
        separate site in the scanner. Then, enable only those sites that are with a
        reasonable receivable distance from your location. Then, the scanner will check
        each enabled site for traffic (it will check idle sites for about 1.5 seconds
        before moving to the next one).

      • Andy Carstarphen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17 8:20 AM
          Using the GPS capabilities of the scanner would automate the process of selecting and deselecting proximate systems. If the problem is weak signals, an improved antenna system could also help.

          Andy - WY5V

          >________________________________

        • David Johnson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22 8:46 PM
            I have a similar problem. The NSW GRN covers a huge geographic area. My
            local control channel is Razorback, but I can also pick up Wollongong when I
            use the antenna on the roof of the house. I receive very few transmissions.
            The reason for this is there must be a member of the talk group logged into
            my control channel site. Sydney Ambulance North users will never be
            anywhere near my local site, so I don't hear any of their transmissions. My
            preferred channel is RailCorp Security 4, but I only get them about 50% of
            the time, depending on whether any transits are logged on in my area. If I
            change the control channel to Wollongong, I can get more of their
            transmissions, as there is more often someone from that talk group logged in
            there.