Re: [BCD396XT] Re: In way over my head....

  • Dannypa_27
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 22, 2011
      Go to squaretrade.com. I get all my stuff warranty thru them. iPhone, surround sound, modem, TV, clothes washer, bread maker, etc.

      I never had to use them yet, but by talking with them and seeing the reviews, I fully believe they will fix or replace my stuff if something goes wrong in the warranty period.

      Basically, if the scanner breaks you send it to them and they fix or give you the cost you paid for it. If you get accidentally, they will do that even if u break it by a fall, etc.

      Now if something goes wrong during the manufacture warranty period, they will recommend getting it fixed or replaced that way.

      There site can give you much more info. Plus you can always call them directly. You can mostly get a live person within 5 minutes. They are in California, thus on pacific time.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 22, 2011, at 3:06 AM, Lance <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:

      > Hey Danny,
      >
      > So basically you got a extended warranty for the radio?
      >
      > Basically how does it work. What do you get for the price.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > -Lance
      >

      > On Jun 21, 2011, at 5:39 PM, danny r wrote:
      >
      >> Try to look at it as a learning experience. Instead of just buying a box to listen to the local police/fire/EMS, think of all the learning you can do, such as trunked systems, how to use freescan or bctool, and all the extra's the 396XT can do. (priority scan, special alert lights/tones, etc etc).
      >>
      >> If you don't want to do that, perhaps you can get a local radio shop or scanner enthusiastic just to load what you want on it, and be done with it. (basically, turn it on and off). Or perhaps, you can try to return the unit, for something much simpler to operate. After all, the 396XT is about top of the line, in ability and complexity.
      >>
      >> As a new user myself, I looking forward to learning much more about how to use it and radio transmissions.
      >>
      >> On a side note, I warrantied my 396XT with Squaretrade.com. I put accidentally on it too, as it would be easy to drop and damage.
      >>
      >> --Danny
      >>
      >> dannypa_27@...
      >>
      >> http://danny.lookscool.com

    • Patrick Motorola Tech
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 22, 2011
        Danny is right. I am in North Texas and over the years have met and helped
        several people program scanners.
        We actually have a yahoo group just for our region and offer tips for local
        scanning. The hobby is full of great people.

        Follow Me On Twitter - @AndroidTechGuy<http://twitter.com/#!/androidtechguy>

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 22, 2011
          Thanks for taking a moment to explain this.

          On Jun 22, 2011, at 6:50 AM, Dannypa_27 wrote:

          > Go to squaretrade.com. I get all my stuff warranty thru them. iPhone, surround sound, modem, TV, clothes washer, bread maker, etc.
          >
          > I never had to use them yet, but by talking with them and seeing the reviews, I fully believe they will fix or replace my stuff if something goes wrong in the warranty period.
          >
          > Basically, if the scanner breaks you send it to them and they fix or give you the cost you paid for it. If you get accidentally, they will do that even if u break it by a fall, etc.
          >
          > Now if something goes wrong during the manufacture warranty period, they will recommend getting it fixed or replaced that way.
          >
          > There site can give you much more info. Plus you can always call them directly. You can mostly get a live person within 5 minutes. They are in California, thus on pacific time.
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Jun 22, 2011, at 3:06 AM, Lance <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hey Danny,
          > >
          > > So basically you got a extended warranty for the radio?
          > >
          > > Basically how does it work. What do you get for the price.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > -Lance
          > >

          > > On Jun 21, 2011, at 5:39 PM, danny r wrote:
          > >
          > >> Try to look at it as a learning experience. Instead of just buying a box to listen to the local police/fire/EMS, think of all the learning you can do, such as trunked systems, how to use freescan or bctool, and all the extra's the 396XT can do. (priority scan, special alert lights/tones, etc etc).
          > >>
          > >> If you don't want to do that, perhaps you can get a local radio shop or scanner enthusiastic just to load what you want on it, and be done with it. (basically, turn it on and off). Or perhaps, you can try to return the unit, for something much simpler to operate. After all, the 396XT is about top of the line, in ability and complexity.
          > >>
          > >> As a new user myself, I looking forward to learning much more about how to use it and radio transmissions.
          > >>
          > >> On a side note, I warrantied my 396XT with Squaretrade.com. I put accidentally on it too, as it would be easy to drop and damage.
          > >>
          > >> --Danny
          > >>
          > >> dannypa_27@...
          > >>
          > >> http://danny.lookscool.com

        • mo town
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 23, 2011
            Here is the warranty cost information. This is with a 30 dollar discount (they run discount codes all the time), and 6% WV sales tax.

            You have to purchase it within 90 days of buying something. Now, I'm not pushing SquareTrade. I have no investment/interest in them. Just put it out there, as someone was interested, when I said I bought the warranty. And I didn't include the cost then.

            Type of coverage:
            3 years with ADH
            Coverage starts:
            6/22/2011
            Coverage ends:
            6/22/2014 more
            Care Plan Price:
            $74.99
            Purchase Date:
            6/21/2011
            Purchased for:
            $79.49

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 24, 2011
              Thanks for sending this. Too bad I'm passed the 90 day mark...

            • Derek Helling
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 26, 2011
                I have never purchased extended warranties for anything and am way
                ahead, because I have never had a situation where an extended warranty
                would have been beneficial.  Essentially I am self insuring, saving all
                those premium dollars in my bank account in case I have to replace/repair
                something.

                I purchase major items (not cars of course) using my American Express card which adds a free
                extension (one year I think) to the manufacturers warranty - never used
                that either.

                It seems to me that warranties, extended or otherwise are designed to expire before major breakdowns occur.  This must work most of the time, otherwise the the companies selling the warranties would not be in business.  So they get to keep most of the premiums and pay out on few claims.

                I am wary of the extended warranty industry which some bad apples
                have given a bad reputation. We had a case here in St. Louis recently, (US Fidelis).

                Derek

                Thanks for sending this.  Too bad I'm passed the 90 day mark...

                On Jun 23, 2011, at 7:40 AM, mo town wrote:

                > Here is the warranty cost information. This is with a 30 dollar discount (they run discount codes all the time), and 6% WV sales tax.
                >
                > You have to purchase it within 90 days of buying something. Now, I'm not pushing SquareTrade. I have no investment/interest in them. Just put it out there, as someone was interested, when I said I bought the warranty. And I didn't include the cost then.
                >
                > Type of coverage:
                > 3 years with ADH
                > Coverage starts:
                > 6/22/2011
                > Coverage ends:
                > 6/22/2014 more
                > Care Plan Price:
                > $74.99
                > Purchase Date:
                > 6/21/2011
                > Purchased for:
                > $79.49
                >
                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey Danny,
                > >
                > > So basically you got a extended warranty for the radio?
                > >
                > > Basically how does it work. What do you get for the price.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > -Lance
                > >

                > > On Jun 21, 2011, at 5:39 PM, danny r wrote:
                > >
                > > > Try to look at it as a learning experience. Instead of just buying a box to listen to the local police/fire/EMS, think of all the learning you can do, such as trunked systems, how to use freescan or bctool, and all the extra's the 396XT can do. (priority scan, special alert lights/tones, etc etc).
                > > >
                > > > If you don't want to do that, perhaps you can get a local radio shop or scanner enthusiastic just to load what you want on it, and be done with it. (basically, turn it on and off). Or perhaps, you can try to return the unit, for something much simpler to operate. After all, the 396XT is about top of the line, in ability and complexity.
                > > >
                > > > As a new user myself, I looking forward to learning much more about how to use it and radio transmissions.
                > > >
                > > > On a side note, I warrantied my 396XT with Squaretrade.com. I put accidentally on it too, as it would be easy to drop and damage.
                > > >
                > > > --Danny
                > > >
                > > > dannypa_27@...
                > > >
                > > > http://danny.lookscool.com

              • David Nordmann
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 26, 2011
                  I was on the phone with US Fidelus and they wouldn't let me off the phone
                  until I committed to getting one of their extended warranties. They are now
                  being sued in Federal court for fraud. They were the pits. Glad I didn't
                  give them my credit card number. You are right on target about extended
                  warranties.

                • danny r
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 26, 2011
                    This may very well be true and work for you.  I recently had a fire and had to re-buy quite a few things and put quite a few things on a 3 year warranty.

                    I'm pretty easy on things, and try not to break stuff.  So time will tell if I use any of the warranties and what the results will be.  I'm betting as many things as I got, something will break either by accident or by use.

                    But as I said, not pushing them by any means.

                    --Danny

                    dannypa_27@...

                    http://danny.lookscool.com

                    From: Lance <milcom_chaser@...>

                    To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

                    Date: Friday, June 24, 2011, 2:11 AM

                    Thanks for sending this.  Too bad I'm passed the 90 day mark...

                    On Jun 23, 2011, at 7:40 AM, mo town wrote:

                    > Here is the warranty cost information. This is with a 30 dollar discount (they run discount codes all the time), and 6% WV sales tax.

                    > You have to purchase it within 90 days of buying something. Now, I'm not pushing SquareTrade. I have no investment/interest in them. Just put it out there, as someone was interested, when I said I bought the warranty. And I didn't include the cost then.

                    > Type of coverage:

                    > 3 years with ADH

                    > Coverage starts:

                    > 6/22/2011

                    > Coverage ends:

                    > 6/22/2014 more

                    > Care Plan Price:

                    > $74.99

                    > Purchase Date:

                    > 6/21/2011

                    > Purchased for:

                    > $79.49

                    > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:

                    > > Hey Danny,

                    > > So basically you got a extended warranty for the radio?

                    > > Basically how does it work. What do you get for the price.

                    > > Thanks,

                    > > -Lance

                    > > On Jun 21, 2011, at 5:39 PM, danny r wrote:

                    > > > Try to look at it as a learning experience. Instead of just buying a box to listen to the local police/fire/EMS, think of all the learning you can do, such as trunked systems, how to use freescan or bctool, and all the extra's the 396XT can do. (priority scan, special alert lights/tones, etc etc).

                    > > > If you don't want to do that, perhaps you can get a local radio shop or scanner enthusiastic just to load what you want on it, and be done with it. (basically, turn it on and off). Or perhaps, you can try to return the unit, for something much simpler to operate. After all, the 396XT is about top of the line, in ability and complexity.

                    > > > As a new user myself, I looking forward to learning much more about how to use it and radio transmissions.

                    > > > On a side note, I warrantied my 396XT with Squaretrade.com. I put accidentally on it too, as it would be easy to drop and damage.

                    > > > --Danny

                    > > > dannypa_27@...

                    > > > http://danny.lookscool.com

                    > > > --- On Tue, 6/21/11, Matt Roberts <n9gmr@...> wrote:

                    > > > From: Matt Roberts <n9gmr@...>

                    > > > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Re: In way over my head....

                    > > > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

                    > > > Date: Tuesday, June 21, 2011, 10:20 AM

                    > > > What kind of help do you need specifically? Please tell us exactly what you want to do, and someone will provide the steps to do it.

                    > > > Matt Roberts

                    > > > n9gmr@...

                    > > > Call Sign N9GMR

                    > > > IRLP 4515

                    > > > EchoLink 45153

                  • danny r
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 26, 2011
                      Any really good protective cases out there for the 396XT?

                      --Danny

                      dannypa_27@...

                      http://danny.lookscool.com

                    • Dr. Mark Levine
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 26, 2011
                        They wouldn't let you off the phone?. What? Did they have a gun to your
                        head?

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 26, 2011
                          I can't imagine Apple would behave like this with their 3 yr. extended Apple Care.
                          But that is way off topic...

                        • Eric
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 26, 2011
                            David Nordmann wrote:

                            > I was on the phone with US Fidelus and they wouldn't let me off the phone
                            > until I committed to getting one of their extended warranties.

                            Hmmm...they were somehow preventing you from hanging up?
                          • doctordialtone@att.net
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 26, 2011
                              Got mine from scannermaster.com 2 years ago.

                              30 something dollars and comes with solid metal to metal connection to the leather belt clip.

                              Cutouts on the left and right side. I like it and recommend it.

                              ~Doc

                              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, danny r <dannypa_27@...> wrote:

                              > Any really good protective cases out there for the 396XT?
                              >
                              > --Danny
                              >
                              > dannypa_27@...
                              >
                              > http://danny.lookscool.com

                            • dannypa_27
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 26, 2011
                                Is this the one you got? Reason I ask, there is a few on the site.

                                http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Soft_Leather_Case_with_Swivel_p/01-581010.htm

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 26, 2011
                                  That case obscures the top of the LCD display...

                                  FYI...

                                • doctordialtone@att.net
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 27, 2011
                                    Yes, and they threw in the girl too!

                                    ~Doc

                                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "dannypa_27" <dannypa_27@...> wrote:

                                    > Is this the one you got? Reason I ask, there is a few on the site.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Soft_Leather_Case_with_Swivel_p/01-581010.htm
                                    >
                                    > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "doctordialtone@" <doctordialtone@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Got mine from scannermaster.com 2 years ago.
                                    > >
                                    > > 30 something dollars and comes with solid metal to metal connection to the leather belt clip.
                                    > >
                                    > > Cutouts on the left and right side. I like it and recommend it.
                                    > >
                                    > > ~Doc
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, danny r <dannypa_27@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Any really good protective cases out there for the 396XT?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > --Danny
                                    > > >
                                    > > > dannypa_27@
                                    > > >
                                    > > > http://danny.lookscool.com

                                  • danny r
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 27, 2011
                                      Doc,

                                      Awesome.  I figured that was the one by your description.  I plan to order it soon.  Looks exactly what I was looking for.  Being single, the hot girl will be a plus, and go good with my townhouse.  Thanks.

                                      --Danny