Re: [BCD396XT] Battery life question

  • Patrick Motorola Tech
    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 22, 2011
      I am sure this has been mentioned before but a lot of poeple do not charge
      the batteries insdie their scanners.
      I my self am one of them. I found that, for me, using an external charger
      designed to charge Ni-Mah in single unit chargers works best. I have a La
      Crosse Technologies 4 baycharger.
      What i found is that if i left my batteries in my scanner it got really hot.
      Heat is not good for the batteries or chargers.
      I also found that by using the scanner as the charger i got less usage time
      in beteen charges then by taking the batteries out and charging them in my
      external charger.
      My test was basically for one week i charged the scanner over night. next
      day let it run continous. I found i got several hours more time when the
      batteries were charged with the La Crosse charger.
      yes i know its not very scientific. But it works for me.

      I also found that my GP batteries that came with my T, yes older batteries
      had way less time. They are just getting old.

      From what i have read Ni-Mah batteries charge better individually rather
      then in series.

      Its more convienent to leave them in and charge, and if your not a heavy
      user between charges you will never know. But if your getting a low battery
      warning a lot you might need to try an alternative method to charge the
      batteries. Or have several sets you can rotate.

      On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Yes, it does
      >
      > ________________________________

      Follow Me On Twitter - @AndroidTechGuy<http://twitter.com/#!/androidtechguy>

    • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 27, 2011
        At 03:45 PM 6/27/2011, you wrote:
        >I think we would loose the amazing small size of the 396XT if it
        >had an intelligent charger section on the PC board. I like the form
        >factor of
        >this radio. I could not compare the Kenwood to the 396XT. They were designed
        >for different purposes...
        >
        >I don't agree they start out with the same baseline. The 396XT will
        >decode digital,
        >capture near field signals, and can sweep the spectrum looking for
        >RF peaks above the
        >noise floor.

        Well, the scanner is about the same size as my Icom HT. The Icom
        receives and TRANSMITS digital (D-STAR, rather than P25 though :) ),
        and can receive from 500 kHz to 1300 MHz. However, the Uniden has
        the P25, close call and the sheer number of memories that I bought it
        for. Horses for courses.

        73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
        http://vkradio.com