Re: [BCD396XT] Battery life question

    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 22, 2011
      I use Alkalines and get more than a full day of use.

      I also use Energizer 2450mAh with a Powerex Maha CS204 charger. The bitch is that it will not charge just 3 batteries. You have to use 2 or 4.
      I'm replacing that charger with the Powerex Maha CS401. It will charge 1 to 4 batteries as it has individual channels. I get a number of hours with the
      rechargeables. My backlight is set to "Low" to reduce current draw. I also don't crank the volume.

      Once the new charger arrives, I'm going to cycle the GP's that came with the radio and see how many hours I get with them.

      Also going to test the 2450's from Energizer.

      If you go the rechargeable route, check out the low discharge rate batteries made by Sanyo called Eneloops or the Maha Imedions which offer a little higher
      current rating. Thomas Distributing sells them and the Powerex chargers. http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

      If you fish a little deeper in the website, you can find 4 packs of the above mentioned batteries.

      There are a posts about this topic up on Radio Reference...

      -Lance

      On Jun 21, 2011, at 11:59 PM, Alex wrote:

      > I've got three 2250mAh batteries (the ones supplied in the original box) but the radio seems to get maybe two hours of use (continuous scanning but not continuous audio) until the battery level warning kicks in. The batteries have been charged both in the radio (no wars on charging in the radio, please) and with a regular charger. It doesn't seem to matter. I'm just trying to get some anecdotal evidence to give me an indication on the condition of my own batteries.
      >
      > To the members of the list: What capacity batteries do you use and what is your typical battery lifetime on this radio?

    • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 27, 2011
        At 03:45 PM 6/27/2011, you wrote:
        >I think we would loose the amazing small size of the 396XT if it
        >had an intelligent charger section on the PC board. I like the form
        >factor of
        >this radio. I could not compare the Kenwood to the 396XT. They were designed
        >for different purposes...
        >
        >I don't agree they start out with the same baseline. The 396XT will
        >decode digital,
        >capture near field signals, and can sweep the spectrum looking for
        >RF peaks above the
        >noise floor.

        Well, the scanner is about the same size as my Icom HT. The Icom
        receives and TRANSMITS digital (D-STAR, rather than P25 though :) ),
        and can receive from 500 kHz to 1300 MHz. However, the Uniden has
        the P25, close call and the sheer number of memories that I bought it
        for. Horses for courses.

        73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
        http://vkradio.com