Battery life question

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 21, 2011
      I've got three 2250mAh batteries (the ones supplied in the original box) but the radio seems to get maybe two hours of use (continuous scanning but not continuous audio) until the battery level warning kicks in. The batteries have been charged both in the radio (no wars on charging in the radio, please) and with a regular charger. It doesn't seem to matter. I'm just trying to get some anecdotal evidence to give me an indication on the condition of my own batteries.

      To the members of the list: What capacity batteries do you use and what is your typical battery lifetime on this radio?
    • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 27, 2011
        At 03:45 PM 6/27/2011, you wrote:
        >I think we would loose the amazing small size of the 396XT if it
        >had an intelligent charger section on the PC board. I like the form
        >factor of
        >this radio. I could not compare the Kenwood to the 396XT. They were designed
        >for different purposes...
        >
        >I don't agree they start out with the same baseline. The 396XT will
        >decode digital,
        >capture near field signals, and can sweep the spectrum looking for
        >RF peaks above the
        >noise floor.

        Well, the scanner is about the same size as my Icom HT. The Icom
        receives and TRANSMITS digital (D-STAR, rather than P25 though :) ),
        and can receive from 500 kHz to 1300 MHz. However, the Uniden has
        the P25, close call and the sheer number of memories that I bought it
        for. Horses for courses.

        73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
        http://vkradio.com