Re: [BCD396XT] Won't decode digital?

    Message 1 of 15 , May 17, 2011
      Ok, I found this product for decoding AMBE compression

      http://www.dvsinc.com/products/usb_3k.htm

      On May 16, 2011, at 6:14 PM, johnstark wrote:

      > There is a way to decode MOTOTRBO. On RR look at the thread on DSD. I forget
      > ecatly what sections of the forums it's in but I think it's computer control
      > or software decoding or something like that.

    • johnstark
      Message 2 of 15 , May 17, 2011
        I wouldn't be too concerned with the future of digital scanners. Mainly
        because most users couldn't figure out how to hook their computer and
        scanner and get things like
        Ubuntu programming done. It's a royal PIA dealing with Linux and the various
        open source programs, especially since on newer versions they removed ALSA
        in favor of "newer" more "capable" sound control and it will not work with
        most software or sound cards! Brilliant move there.... NOT!
        The only way I got DSD to work was after a couple weeks of fighting I
        changed to Ubuntu 10.04 instead of the latest and 'greatest" and it finally
        worked. Another issues is say the Java program that works similar to DSD
        requires massive CPU power and memory and no ones going to run out and buy a
        dual core 16GB computer just to run one single Java based program to decode
        what their scanner doesn't. For the DSD program I bought a Refurb from Tiger
        Direct for under $100, put Ubuntu 10.04 on it and it decodes fine. Best part
        is it has serial ports too. I now have 4 of these cheapo computers, one runs
        DSD, one runs two instances of PCR software for the PCR 100 and another runs
        Probe for OS535 in a 2035 and the last runs 2 instances of Unitrunker. It
        works well since each of the computers cost under $100 and has serial ports
        as well as USB. No matter what though these setups will never replace
        scanners.

        Message 3 of 15 , May 17, 2011
          At 12:56 AM 5/18/2011, you wrote:
          >I did some reading on my own, and did see some open source projects.
          >
          >I thought I read that it could not be decoded from speaker audio.
          >
          >If that is not true, perhaps SMT based PCB could be built that takes
          >audio input,
          >and has it own final audio stage with small speaker.
          >
          >Just speaking out loud.
          >
          >This does have me wondering about the future for digital scanners...

          I think future scanners should have a discriminator output available,
          so external decoders can be used. I've been using ham gear for
          decoding of some digital modes (POCSAG, D-STAR), because many ham
          radios have a 9600 bps packet interface which is suitable for
          connecting data decoders to. A similar facility in scanners would be
          very useful when an external decoder is needed to monitor a particular system.

          73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
          http://vkradio.com
        • Clayton
          Message 4 of 15 , May 17, 2011
            The GRE PSR800 and the new portable receiver from Alinco both have
            discriminator outputs from the factory. I would imagine other manufacturers
            will follow as new models come out. Features like this tend to take a
            while, but it is nice to see how many features have been added over the
            years. For example, the control channel info the 396xt can send to
            Unitrunker and other 3rd party apps.

            Clayton

            Message 5 of 15 , May 17, 2011
              It's GRE and Alinco that are following. AOR has had it for years.
              BUT, it would be nice if all scanners came with that.

              Joe M.

              Clayton wrote:
              > The GRE PSR800 and the new portable receiver from Alinco both have
              > discriminator outputs from the factory. I would imagine other manufacturers
              > will follow as new models come out. Features like this tend to take a
              > while, but it is nice to see how many features have been added over the
              > years. For example, the control channel info the 396xt can send to
              > Unitrunker and other 3rd party apps.
              >

              > Clayton

            • James F. Boehner MD
              Message 6 of 15 , May 17, 2011
                Excellent thought!

                I have been doing discriminator output mods for many years. Seems like the
                only "scanner" (that I owned) that had a discriminator output built in was
                the PCR-1000.

                Wish more manufacturers would offer that as an output.

                '73 de JIM N2ZZ

                >I did some reading on my own, and did see some open source projects.
                >
                >I thought I read that it could not be decoded from speaker audio.
                >
                >If that is not true, perhaps SMT based PCB could be built that takes
                >audio input,
                >and has it own final audio stage with small speaker.
                >
                >Just speaking out loud.
                >
                >This does have me wondering about the future for digital scanners...

                I think future scanners should have a discriminator output available,
                so external decoders can be used. I've been using ham gear for
                decoding of some digital modes (POCSAG, D-STAR), because many ham
                radios have a 9600 bps packet interface which is suitable for
                connecting data decoders to. A similar facility in scanners would be
                very useful when an external decoder is needed to monitor a particular
                system.

                73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                http://vkradio.com

              • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
                Message 7 of 15 , May 17, 2011
                  At 08:47 AM 5/18/2011, you wrote:
                  >The GRE PSR800 and the new portable receiver from Alinco both have
                  >discriminator outputs from the factory. I would imagine other manufacturers
                  >will follow as new models come out. Features like this tend to take a
                  >while, but it is nice to see how many features have been added over the
                  >years. For example, the control channel info the 396xt can send to
                  >Unitrunker and other 3rd party apps.

                  That's exactly why I'd like to see discriminator outputs as standard
                  on scanners. One network here is MPT1327, which is going to require
                  Unitrunker to track. I don't like the idea of hacking an expensive
                  scanner (especially a handheld one) to get a discriminator output. ;)

                  73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                  http://vkradio.com
                • Sin Doss
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 19, 2011
                    does the new alinco receiver do ditgal?

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 20, 2011
                      No. It is just analog. It also does not do trunking. It does, however, have an IQ output to use with SDR software.

                      Clayton