Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Audio dropouts for trunk and conventional

  • johnstark
    Message 1 of 30 , May 6, 2011
      Why carry more than you need to? I have enough to carry between two
      scanners, sometimes amateur portable, camera and lenses plus camera bag.
      Last thing I wants another reciever when I have two very capable radios with
      weather alert.

      Message 2 of 30 , May 7, 2011
        At 04:11 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
        >Just for WX you will never see enough demand. There has been some demand
        >for a second receiver which would cover WX as well as the other aspects
        >I mentioned, but I still don't think the demand would be high enough to
        >recover the R&D costs. If you're going to add the weather receiver, it
        >would be dumb to not to the extra mile for the fully functional receiver.

        If it was just for WX, then it's wasted outside the US (as the
        existing WX features already are for me). However, if the second Rx
        can be assigned to other purposes as well (CloseCall, priority watch,
        etc), then it would be a really useful asset.

        >As for "significantly", about $200-300 depending on whether the decoding
        >circuits can be reused for the second receiver. I don't know of many
        >people who would want to pay $700 to $800 for a portable scanner just to
        >get the advantages. Sure, several people would, but I doubt enough to
        >recover the costs.

        The amateur gear with two receivers doesn't seem to have a $200
        premium, probably nearer $100. However, it is worth noting that in
        the Icom D-STAR amateur radios (which, like P25, require a vocoder
        chip from DVSI), only one of the receivers is able to decode digital
        transmissions. That might be a compromise required to keep the cost
        down. Right now, a second, analog only Rx wouldn't be a big handicap
        (I don't have any P25 systems in my scanner yet - but I will within a
        couple of years when our fire service goes digital), but it might be
        limiting in the future.

        73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
        http://vkradio.com
      • mch@nb.net
        Message 3 of 30 , May 7, 2011
          Something to keep in mind is that some ham rigs don't really have dual receivers, but simply dual VFOs.
          Adding a second VFO is a matter of firmware while a second receiver requires duplicate hardware.

          That said, I thought Canada was switching over to the same alert system (and same frequencies) that the USA uses.

          Joe M.

          On Sat 07/05/11 5:29 PM , "Tony Langdon, VK3JED" vk3jed@... sent:

          Message 4 of 30 , May 7, 2011
            Ok, so a 386XT with dual VFO much like the Yupiteru MVT-7100 series.

            That would be very useful. Could toggle between a channel within a group or the current frequency
            set in the VFO.

            Wonder if that could really be accomplished in firmware...

            On May 7, 2011, at 2:54 PM, mch@... wrote:

            > Something to keep in mind is that some ham rigs don't really have dual receivers, but simply dual VFOs.
            > Adding a second VFO is a matter of firmware while a second receiver requires duplicate hardware.
            >
            > That said, I thought Canada was switching over to the same alert system (and same frequencies) that the USA uses.
            >
            > Joe M.
            >
            > On Sat 07/05/11 5:29 PM , "Tony Langdon, VK3JED" vk3jed@... sent:
            > > At 04:11 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
            > > >Just for WX you will never see enough demand.
            > > There has been some demand>for a second receiver which would cover WX as
            > > well as the other aspects>I mentioned, but I still don't think the demand
            > > would be high enough to>recover the R&D costs. If you're going to add
            > > the weather receiver, it>would be dumb to not to the extra mile for the
            > > fully functional receiver.
            > > If it was just for WX, then it's wasted outside the US (as the
            > > existing WX features already are for me). However, if the second Rx
            > > can be assigned to other purposes as well (CloseCall, priority watch,
            > > etc), then it would be a really useful asset.
            > >

            > > >As for "significantly", about $200-300
            > > depending on whether the decoding>circuits can be reused for the second receiver. I
            > > don't know of many>people who would want to pay $700 to $800 for a
            > > portable scanner just to>get the advantages. Sure, several people would,
            > > but I doubt enough to>recover the costs.
            > >
            > > The amateur gear with two receivers doesn't seem to have a $200
            > > premium, probably nearer $100. However, it is worth noting that in
            > > the Icom D-STAR amateur radios (which, like P25, require a vocoder
            > > chip from DVSI), only one of the receivers is able to decode digital
            > > transmissions. That might be a compromise required to keep the cost
            > > down. Right now, a second, analog only Rx wouldn't be a big handicap
            > > (I don't have any P25 systems in my scanner yet - but I will within a
            > > couple of years when our fire service goes digital), but it might be
            > > limiting in the future.
            > >
            > > 73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
            > > http://vkradio.com

            > > Your email settings:
            > > Individual Email | Traditional
            > >
            > > To change settings online go to:
            > >
            > > To change settings via email:
            > > BCD396XT-digest@yahoogroups.com BCD396XT-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
            > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
            Message 5 of 30 , May 7, 2011
              At 07:54 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
              >Something to keep in mind is that some ham rigs don't really have
              >dual receivers, but simply dual VFOs.
              >Adding a second VFO is a matter of firmware while a second receiver
              >requires duplicate hardware.

              But I'm able to simultaneously listen to two separate frequencies (in
              the same or a different band). Example: Icom IC-91AD has this
              ability, and its two receivers have different capabilities (only one
              can do digital, only the other can do wideband FM). Sounds like two
              receivers to me.

              >That said, I thought Canada was switching over to the same alert
              >system (and same frequencies) that the USA uses.

              I'm in Australia, where a US style weather alert system is never
              going to happen. :)

              73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
              http://vkradio.com
            • mch@nb.net
              Message 6 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                It definitely could be done in firmware. The scanner has one VFO. Adding a second one would only require another channel exactly like the one for the first VFO, and a way to select it. You could simply have the keypad active to select 10 VFOs when you are in VFO mode. I don't recall the Yupi all that well, but I know the recent AOR offerings have two VFOs.

                Joe M.

                On Sat 07/05/11 5:59 PM , Lance milcom_chaser@... sent:

                Message 7 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                  If you can hear two conversations at the same time, it has to have dual receivers.

                  My point was not specific to the 91, but about ham rigs in general. Some of them
                  have only dual VFOs which can only monitor one frequency at a time.

                  Joe M.

                  On Sat 07/05/11 6:01 PM , "Tony Langdon, VK3JED" vk3jed@... sent:
                  > At 07:54 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                  > >Something to keep in mind is that some ham rigs
                  > don't really have >dual receivers, but simply dual VFOs.
                  > >Adding a second VFO is a matter of firmware while
                  > a second receiver >requires duplicate hardware.
                  >
                  > But I'm able to simultaneously listen to two separate frequencies (in
                  > the same or a different band). Example: Icom IC-91AD has this
                  > ability, and its two receivers have different capabilities (only one
                  > can do digital, only the other can do wideband FM). Sounds like two
                  > receivers to me.
                  >

                  > >That said, I thought Canada was switching over to
                  > the same alert >system (and same frequencies) that the USA
                  > uses.
                  > I'm in Australia, where a US style weather alert system is never
                  > going to happen. :)
                  >
                  > 73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                  > http://vkradio.com

                  > Your email settings:
                  > Individual Email | Traditional
                  >
                  > To change settings online go to:
                  >
                  > To change settings via email:
                  > BCD396XT-digest@yahoogroups.com BCD396XT-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Clark Rennie
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                    What does any of this have to do with "Audio dropouts" which the original
                    poster stated was found and corrected
                    by an option which was overlooked ?

                    Clark

                  • mch@nb.net
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                      It was not 'corrected' - it was 'disabled'.

                      If you have a second receiver, you don't have to put up with any dropouts
                      on the received signal while the receiver switches to the secondary function.

                      This means WX Priority (the function that was disabled), Close Call, or channel
                      priority could be used with no gaps in the received signal. Additionally, more
                      features such as true priority among any system type could be added.

                      Close Call DND does help on the XT with the gaps, but CC is disabled whenever
                      a signal is received. Hence, it's not a true solution.

                      Joe M.

                      On Sat 07/05/11 7:49 PM , Clark Rennie c.rennie1@... sent:
                      > What does any of this have to do with "Audio dropouts" which the
                      > original poster stated was found and corrected
                      > by an option which was overlooked ?
                      >
                      > Clark
                      >

                      > At 04:25 PM 5/7/2011, you wrote:
                      >

                      > >It definitely could be done in firmware. The
                      > scanner has one VFO. Adding a >second one would only require another channel
                      > exactly like the one for the >first VFO, and a way to select it. You could
                      > simply have the keypad active >to select 10 VFOs when you are in VFO mode. I
                      > don't recall the Yupi all >that well, but I know the recent AOR offerings
                      > have two VFOs.>
                      > >Joe M.
                    • Jeffry Rehm
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                        Well, I guess Uniden isn't going to make a WX/All Hazzards radio that is better than the competitor.

                        It was not 'corrected' - it was 'disabled'.

                        If you have a second receiver, you don't have to put up with any dropouts
                        on the received signal while the receiver switches to the secondary function.

                        This means WX Priority (the function that was disabled), Close Call, or channel
                        priority could be used with no gaps in the received signal. Additionally, more
                        features such as true priority among any system type could be added.

                        Close Call DND does help on the XT with the gaps, but CC is disabled whenever
                        a signal is received. Hence, it's not a true solution.

                        Joe M.

                        On Sat 07/05/11 7:49 PM , Clark Rennie c.rennie1@... sent:
                        > What does any of this have to do with "Audio dropouts" which the
                        > original poster stated was found and corrected
                        > by an option which was overlooked ?
                        >
                        > Clark
                        >

                        > At 04:25 PM 5/7/2011, you wrote:
                        >

                        > >It definitely could be done in firmware. The
                        > scanner has one VFO. Adding a >second one would only require another channel
                        > exactly like the one for the >first VFO, and a way to select it. You could
                        > simply have the keypad active >to select 10 VFOs when you are in VFO mode. I
                        > don't recall the Yupi all >that well, but I know the recent AOR offerings
                        > have two VFOs.>
                        > >Joe M.

                      • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                          At 09:33 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                          >If you can hear two conversations at the same time, it has to have
                          >dual receivers.

                          That's exactly what I was referring to. The 91 is one of several
                          examples of dual receivers, which can monitor two different
                          frequencies simultaneously (though when both fire up, it can be
                          tricky picking the tangle of audio apart! :) ).

                          >My point was not specific to the 91, but about ham rigs in general.
                          >Some of them
                          >have only dual VFOs which can only monitor one frequency at a time.

                          True, but I was pointing some do have dual receivers and it doesn't
                          seem to be a major price premium, unless you want digital capability
                          on both receivers.

                          73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                          http://vkradio.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                            DOH! VK3.... I read VE3 (Canada). :-\

                            Joe M.

                            Tony Langdon, VK3JED wrote:
                            > At 07:54 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                            >> That said, I thought Canada was switching over to the same alert
                            >> system (and same frequencies) that the USA uses.
                            >
                            > I'm in Australia, where a US style weather alert system is never
                            > going to happen. :)
                            >
                            > 73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                            > http://vkradio.com
                          • Uniden UPMan
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 9, 2011
                              In my (admittedly biased) opinion, the BC370CRS is the best All Hazards radio on the market. In addition to full SAME support (including paying attention to the end-of-message signal), it will alert to All Hazards in areas without NOAA coverage, but with alerts going out on AM or FM Broadcast stations.

                              It also supports external trigger (for hearing or sight impaired alerting). Plus, is a 300-channel conventional scanner with AM/FM broadcast coverage and Atomic Clock.

                              Only one receiver, though.

                              Which competitor has a better one?

                              UPMan

                              Message 14 of 30 , May 9, 2011
                                Is the output active only during the alert message, or only during the
                                alert duration, or some other timeframe?

                                Joe M.

                                Uniden UPMan wrote:

                                > In my (admittedly biased) opinion, the BC370CRS is the best All Hazards radio on the market. In addition to full SAME support (including paying attention to the end-of-message signal), it will alert to All Hazards in areas without NOAA coverage, but with alerts going out on AM or FM Broadcast stations.
                                >
                                > It also supports external trigger (for hearing or sight impaired alerting). Plus, is a 300-channel conventional scanner with AM/FM broadcast coverage and Atomic Clock.
                                >
                                > Only one receiver, though.
                                >
                                > Which competitor has a better one?
                                >
                                > UPMan

                              • Paul Opitz
                                Message 15 of 30 , May 9, 2011
                                  When in SAME standby, the audio path will open when a matching SAME is received
                                  and will close when the end-of-message is received.

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 9, 2011
                                    I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. I'm talking about the external trigger.

                                    Joe M.

                                  • Paul Opitz
                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 9, 2011
                                      IIRC it provides a switch closure at the beginning of an alert (momentary).

                                      Paul Opitz wrote:
                                      > When in SAME standby, the audio path will open when a matching SAME is received
                                      >
                                      > and will close when the end-of-message is received.

                                    • Paul Opitz
                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 9, 2011
                                        Correction, it will provide a voltage out (9V) at the beginning of the alert.