Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Audio dropouts for trunk and conventional

  • johnstark
    Message 1 of 30 , May 6, 2011
      Why carry more than you need to? I have enough to carry between two
      scanners, sometimes amateur portable, camera and lenses plus camera bag.
      Last thing I wants another reciever when I have two very capable radios with
      weather alert.

      Message 2 of 30 , May 7, 2011
        Just for WX you will never see enough demand. There has been some demand
        for a second receiver which would cover WX as well as the other aspects
        I mentioned, but I still don't think the demand would be high enough to
        recover the R&D costs. If you're going to add the weather receiver, it
        would be dumb to not to the extra mile for the fully functional receiver.

        As for "significantly", about $200-300 depending on whether the decoding
        circuits can be reused for the second receiver. I don't know of many
        people who would want to pay $700 to $800 for a portable scanner just to
        get the advantages. Sure, several people would, but I doubt enough to
        recover the costs.

        There is also the aspect that it would increase the size of the unit
        (unless the size of the components has offset that in the last few years
        of development).

        Joe M.

        Steve Wilson wrote:
        > Agreed, but "significantly" is a subjective term and may be worth the expense for those who need it or prefer it. It would be interesting to compare the cost vs. demand for a fully functional duplicate receiver vs. just a 2nd receiver for WX.
        >
        > Steve

        >> A second receiver would significantly add to the price of the unit.
        >>
        >> But, it would allow for uninterrupted checking of the weather or Close
        >> Call, trunked priority (any TG on any system type), better priority on
        >> conventional, and other features.
        >>
        >> Joe M.
        >>
        >> Steve Wilson wrote:
        >>> Had done a Google search and found a thread on radioreference. Turned out to be the WX. I knew to check the Priority Alert, but didn't think of the WX. It's sooooo much more pleasant to listen without dropouts.
        >>>
        >>> Someone on the radioreference thread asked about the feasibility for a 2nd receiver for alerts. You certainly have my vote! It was allow us to have the alerts without compromising the audio quality due to dropouts.
        >>>
        >>> Thanks for the link to common questions. I will check it out.
        >>>
        >>> Thanks, Steve

      • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
        Message 3 of 30 , May 7, 2011
          At 04:11 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
          >Just for WX you will never see enough demand. There has been some demand
          >for a second receiver which would cover WX as well as the other aspects
          >I mentioned, but I still don't think the demand would be high enough to
          >recover the R&D costs. If you're going to add the weather receiver, it
          >would be dumb to not to the extra mile for the fully functional receiver.

          If it was just for WX, then it's wasted outside the US (as the
          existing WX features already are for me). However, if the second Rx
          can be assigned to other purposes as well (CloseCall, priority watch,
          etc), then it would be a really useful asset.

          >As for "significantly", about $200-300 depending on whether the decoding
          >circuits can be reused for the second receiver. I don't know of many
          >people who would want to pay $700 to $800 for a portable scanner just to
          >get the advantages. Sure, several people would, but I doubt enough to
          >recover the costs.

          The amateur gear with two receivers doesn't seem to have a $200
          premium, probably nearer $100. However, it is worth noting that in
          the Icom D-STAR amateur radios (which, like P25, require a vocoder
          chip from DVSI), only one of the receivers is able to decode digital
          transmissions. That might be a compromise required to keep the cost
          down. Right now, a second, analog only Rx wouldn't be a big handicap
          (I don't have any P25 systems in my scanner yet - but I will within a
          couple of years when our fire service goes digital), but it might be
          limiting in the future.

          73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
          http://vkradio.com
        • mch@nb.net
          Message 4 of 30 , May 7, 2011
            Something to keep in mind is that some ham rigs don't really have dual receivers, but simply dual VFOs.
            Adding a second VFO is a matter of firmware while a second receiver requires duplicate hardware.

            That said, I thought Canada was switching over to the same alert system (and same frequencies) that the USA uses.

            Joe M.

            On Sat 07/05/11 5:29 PM , "Tony Langdon, VK3JED" vk3jed@... sent:

            Message 5 of 30 , May 7, 2011
              Ok, so a 386XT with dual VFO much like the Yupiteru MVT-7100 series.

              That would be very useful. Could toggle between a channel within a group or the current frequency
              set in the VFO.

              Wonder if that could really be accomplished in firmware...

              Message 6 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                At 07:54 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                >Something to keep in mind is that some ham rigs don't really have
                >dual receivers, but simply dual VFOs.
                >Adding a second VFO is a matter of firmware while a second receiver
                >requires duplicate hardware.

                But I'm able to simultaneously listen to two separate frequencies (in
                the same or a different band). Example: Icom IC-91AD has this
                ability, and its two receivers have different capabilities (only one
                can do digital, only the other can do wideband FM). Sounds like two
                receivers to me.

                >That said, I thought Canada was switching over to the same alert
                >system (and same frequencies) that the USA uses.

                I'm in Australia, where a US style weather alert system is never
                going to happen. :)

                73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                http://vkradio.com
              • mch@nb.net
                Message 7 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                  It definitely could be done in firmware. The scanner has one VFO. Adding a second one would only require another channel exactly like the one for the first VFO, and a way to select it. You could simply have the keypad active to select 10 VFOs when you are in VFO mode. I don't recall the Yupi all that well, but I know the recent AOR offerings have two VFOs.

                  Joe M.

                  On Sat 07/05/11 5:59 PM , Lance milcom_chaser@... sent:

                  Message 8 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                    If you can hear two conversations at the same time, it has to have dual receivers.

                    My point was not specific to the 91, but about ham rigs in general. Some of them
                    have only dual VFOs which can only monitor one frequency at a time.

                    Joe M.

                    On Sat 07/05/11 6:01 PM , "Tony Langdon, VK3JED" vk3jed@... sent:
                    > At 07:54 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                    > >Something to keep in mind is that some ham rigs
                    > don't really have >dual receivers, but simply dual VFOs.
                    > >Adding a second VFO is a matter of firmware while
                    > a second receiver >requires duplicate hardware.
                    >
                    > But I'm able to simultaneously listen to two separate frequencies (in
                    > the same or a different band). Example: Icom IC-91AD has this
                    > ability, and its two receivers have different capabilities (only one
                    > can do digital, only the other can do wideband FM). Sounds like two
                    > receivers to me.
                    >

                    > >That said, I thought Canada was switching over to
                    > the same alert >system (and same frequencies) that the USA
                    > uses.
                    > I'm in Australia, where a US style weather alert system is never
                    > going to happen. :)
                    >
                    > 73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                    > http://vkradio.com

                    > Your email settings:
                    > Individual Email | Traditional
                    >
                    > To change settings online go to:
                    >
                    > To change settings via email:
                    > BCD396XT-digest@yahoogroups.com BCD396XT-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Clark Rennie
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                      What does any of this have to do with "Audio dropouts" which the original
                      poster stated was found and corrected
                      by an option which was overlooked ?

                      Clark

                    • mch@nb.net
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                        It was not 'corrected' - it was 'disabled'.

                        If you have a second receiver, you don't have to put up with any dropouts
                        on the received signal while the receiver switches to the secondary function.

                        This means WX Priority (the function that was disabled), Close Call, or channel
                        priority could be used with no gaps in the received signal. Additionally, more
                        features such as true priority among any system type could be added.

                        Close Call DND does help on the XT with the gaps, but CC is disabled whenever
                        a signal is received. Hence, it's not a true solution.

                        Joe M.

                        On Sat 07/05/11 7:49 PM , Clark Rennie c.rennie1@... sent:
                        > What does any of this have to do with "Audio dropouts" which the
                        > original poster stated was found and corrected
                        > by an option which was overlooked ?
                        >
                        > Clark
                        >

                        > At 04:25 PM 5/7/2011, you wrote:
                        >

                        > >It definitely could be done in firmware. The
                        > scanner has one VFO. Adding a >second one would only require another channel
                        > exactly like the one for the >first VFO, and a way to select it. You could
                        > simply have the keypad active >to select 10 VFOs when you are in VFO mode. I
                        > don't recall the Yupi all >that well, but I know the recent AOR offerings
                        > have two VFOs.>
                        > >Joe M.
                      • Jeffry Rehm
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                          Well, I guess Uniden isn't going to make a WX/All Hazzards radio that is better than the competitor.

                          It was not 'corrected' - it was 'disabled'.

                          If you have a second receiver, you don't have to put up with any dropouts
                          on the received signal while the receiver switches to the secondary function.

                          This means WX Priority (the function that was disabled), Close Call, or channel
                          priority could be used with no gaps in the received signal. Additionally, more
                          features such as true priority among any system type could be added.

                          Close Call DND does help on the XT with the gaps, but CC is disabled whenever
                          a signal is received. Hence, it's not a true solution.

                          Joe M.

                          On Sat 07/05/11 7:49 PM , Clark Rennie c.rennie1@... sent:
                          > What does any of this have to do with "Audio dropouts" which the
                          > original poster stated was found and corrected
                          > by an option which was overlooked ?
                          >
                          > Clark
                          >

                          > At 04:25 PM 5/7/2011, you wrote:
                          >

                          > >It definitely could be done in firmware. The
                          > scanner has one VFO. Adding a >second one would only require another channel
                          > exactly like the one for the >first VFO, and a way to select it. You could
                          > simply have the keypad active >to select 10 VFOs when you are in VFO mode. I
                          > don't recall the Yupi all >that well, but I know the recent AOR offerings
                          > have two VFOs.>
                          > >Joe M.

                        • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
                          Message 12 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                            At 09:33 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                            >If you can hear two conversations at the same time, it has to have
                            >dual receivers.

                            That's exactly what I was referring to. The 91 is one of several
                            examples of dual receivers, which can monitor two different
                            frequencies simultaneously (though when both fire up, it can be
                            tricky picking the tangle of audio apart! :) ).

                            >My point was not specific to the 91, but about ham rigs in general.
                            >Some of them
                            >have only dual VFOs which can only monitor one frequency at a time.

                            True, but I was pointing some do have dual receivers and it doesn't
                            seem to be a major price premium, unless you want digital capability
                            on both receivers.

                            73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                            http://vkradio.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 7, 2011
                              DOH! VK3.... I read VE3 (Canada). :-\

                              Joe M.

                              Tony Langdon, VK3JED wrote:
                              > At 07:54 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                              >> That said, I thought Canada was switching over to the same alert
                              >> system (and same frequencies) that the USA uses.
                              >
                              > I'm in Australia, where a US style weather alert system is never
                              > going to happen. :)
                              >
                              > 73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                              > http://vkradio.com
                            • Uniden UPMan
                              Message 14 of 30 , May 9, 2011
                                In my (admittedly biased) opinion, the BC370CRS is the best All Hazards radio on the market. In addition to full SAME support (including paying attention to the end-of-message signal), it will alert to All Hazards in areas without NOAA coverage, but with alerts going out on AM or FM Broadcast stations.

                                It also supports external trigger (for hearing or sight impaired alerting). Plus, is a 300-channel conventional scanner with AM/FM broadcast coverage and Atomic Clock.

                                Only one receiver, though.

                                Which competitor has a better one?

                                UPMan

                                Message 15 of 30 , May 9, 2011
                                  Is the output active only during the alert message, or only during the
                                  alert duration, or some other timeframe?

                                  Joe M.

                                  Uniden UPMan wrote:

                                  > In my (admittedly biased) opinion, the BC370CRS is the best All Hazards radio on the market. In addition to full SAME support (including paying attention to the end-of-message signal), it will alert to All Hazards in areas without NOAA coverage, but with alerts going out on AM or FM Broadcast stations.
                                  >
                                  > It also supports external trigger (for hearing or sight impaired alerting). Plus, is a 300-channel conventional scanner with AM/FM broadcast coverage and Atomic Clock.
                                  >
                                  > Only one receiver, though.
                                  >
                                  > Which competitor has a better one?
                                  >
                                  > UPMan

                                • Paul Opitz
                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 9, 2011
                                    When in SAME standby, the audio path will open when a matching SAME is received
                                    and will close when the end-of-message is received.

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 9, 2011
                                      I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. I'm talking about the external trigger.

                                      Joe M.

                                    • Paul Opitz
                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 9, 2011
                                        IIRC it provides a switch closure at the beginning of an alert (momentary).

                                        Paul Opitz wrote:
                                        > When in SAME standby, the audio path will open when a matching SAME is received
                                        >
                                        > and will close when the end-of-message is received.

                                      • Paul Opitz
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 9, 2011
                                          Correction, it will provide a voltage out (9V) at the beginning of the alert.