Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Audio dropouts for trunk and conventional

  • Jeffry Rehm
    Message 1 of 30 , May 6 4:44 PM
      Speaking of WX radios I have noticed a competitor has a new version of a pretty popular WX/All Hazards radio. Not too many inhancements though so my opinion is oh well. Which brings me to a question.

      The 396xt has what I consider an excellent WX receiver and does eveything, and more, than any other dedicated radio out there does. AND it has the end of transmission capability to shut the radio off (remotely by NOAA) at the end of a warning. Very cool feature. I have not found another radio out there that has this. Why then doesn't Uniden make a WX alert desk top radio that has all the good features that the 396xt already has? It is obvious it can be done. Why not do it? I think it could be a great idea.

      In my opinion, of course.

      Message 2 of 30 , May 6 6:09 PM
        My Reecom unit will shut off on the end code.

        As for the features between scanners and alert radios, that's
        a good question. They are designed by the same people AFAIK.

        Joe M.

        Jeffry Rehm wrote:
        > Speaking of WX radios I have noticed a competitor has a new version of a pretty popular WX/All Hazards radio. Not too many inhancements though so my opinion is oh well. Which brings me to a question.
        >
        > The 396xt has what I consider an excellent WX receiver and does eveything, and more, than any other dedicated radio out there does. AND it has the end of transmission capability to shut the radio off (remotely by NOAA) at the end of a warning. Very cool feature. I have not found another radio out there that has this. Why then doesn't Uniden make a WX alert desk top radio that has all the good features that the 396xt already has? It is obvious it can be done. Why not do it? I think it could be a great idea.
        >
        > In my opinion, of course.

      • johnstark
        Message 3 of 30 , May 6 7:16 PM
          Why carry more than you need to? I have enough to carry between two
          scanners, sometimes amateur portable, camera and lenses plus camera bag.
          Last thing I wants another reciever when I have two very capable radios with
          weather alert.

          > Why not get yourself a dedicated WX Alert Radio...
          >
          > Or, buy yourself a 346XT...
          >

          > On May 6, 2011, at 2:18 PM, MCH wrote:
          >
          >> A second receiver would significantly add to the price of the unit.
          >>
          >> But, it would allow for uninterrupted checking of the weather or Close
          >> Call, trunked priority (any TG on any system type), better priority on
          >> conventional, and other features.
          >>
          >> Joe M.
          >>
          >> Steve Wilson wrote:
          >> > Had done a Google search and found a thread on radioreference. Turned
          >> > out to be the WX. I knew to check the Priority Alert, but didn't think
          >> > of the WX. It's sooooo much more pleasant to listen without dropouts.
          >> >
          >> > Someone on the radioreference thread asked about the feasibility for a
          >> > 2nd receiver for alerts. You certainly have my vote! It was allow us to
          >> > have the alerts without compromising the audio quality due to dropouts.
          >> >
          >> > Thanks for the link to common questions. I will check it out.
          >> >
          >> > Thanks, Steve

        • Steve Wilson
          Message 4 of 30 , May 7 9:24 AM
            For the same reason that some of us prefer picture-in-picture rather than buy another TV.

            > Why not get yourself a dedicated WX Alert Radio...
            >
            > Or, buy yourself a 346XT...
            >

            > On May 6, 2011, at 2:18 PM, MCH wrote:
            >
            > > A second receiver would significantly add to the price of the unit.
            > >
            > > But, it would allow for uninterrupted checking of the weather or Close
            > > Call, trunked priority (any TG on any system type), better priority on
            > > conventional, and other features.
            > >
            > > Joe M.
            > >
            > > Steve Wilson wrote:
            > > > Had done a Google search and found a thread on radioreference. Turned out to be the WX. I knew to check the Priority Alert, but didn't think of the WX. It's sooooo much more pleasant to listen without dropouts.
            > > >
            > > > Someone on the radioreference thread asked about the feasibility for a 2nd receiver for alerts. You certainly have my vote! It was allow us to have the alerts without compromising the audio quality due to dropouts.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for the link to common questions. I will check it out.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks, Steve

          • Steve Wilson
            Message 5 of 30 , May 7 9:37 AM
              Agreed, but "significantly" is a subjective term and may be worth the expense for those who need it or prefer it. It would be interesting to compare the cost vs. demand for a fully functional duplicate receiver vs. just a 2nd receiver for WX.

              Steve

              Message 6 of 30 , May 7 10:58 AM
                A second receiver section would entail more real estate on the PCB.
                I would imagine with that radio's form factor, it's maxed out on part placement.
                Would be a cool feature to have a second RX with adjustable mix levels, audio channel assignment, and priority.
                Much like a dual-band amateur radio for mobile...

                Great for monitoring the T-birds with Diamond in the left channel and solos in the right...

                Still, this at least for myself, this is quite the awesome radio for it's size, and close call continues
                prove itself...

                Message 7 of 30 , May 7 11:11 AM
                  Just for WX you will never see enough demand. There has been some demand
                  for a second receiver which would cover WX as well as the other aspects
                  I mentioned, but I still don't think the demand would be high enough to
                  recover the R&D costs. If you're going to add the weather receiver, it
                  would be dumb to not to the extra mile for the fully functional receiver.

                  As for "significantly", about $200-300 depending on whether the decoding
                  circuits can be reused for the second receiver. I don't know of many
                  people who would want to pay $700 to $800 for a portable scanner just to
                  get the advantages. Sure, several people would, but I doubt enough to
                  recover the costs.

                  There is also the aspect that it would increase the size of the unit
                  (unless the size of the components has offset that in the last few years
                  of development).

                  Joe M.

                  Steve Wilson wrote:
                  > Agreed, but "significantly" is a subjective term and may be worth the expense for those who need it or prefer it. It would be interesting to compare the cost vs. demand for a fully functional duplicate receiver vs. just a 2nd receiver for WX.
                  >
                  > Steve

                  >> A second receiver would significantly add to the price of the unit.
                  >>
                  >> But, it would allow for uninterrupted checking of the weather or Close
                  >> Call, trunked priority (any TG on any system type), better priority on
                  >> conventional, and other features.
                  >>
                  >> Joe M.
                  >>
                  >> Steve Wilson wrote:
                  >>> Had done a Google search and found a thread on radioreference. Turned out to be the WX. I knew to check the Priority Alert, but didn't think of the WX. It's sooooo much more pleasant to listen without dropouts.
                  >>>
                  >>> Someone on the radioreference thread asked about the feasibility for a 2nd receiver for alerts. You certainly have my vote! It was allow us to have the alerts without compromising the audio quality due to dropouts.
                  >>>
                  >>> Thanks for the link to common questions. I will check it out.
                  >>>
                  >>> Thanks, Steve

                • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 7 2:29 PM
                    At 04:11 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                    >Just for WX you will never see enough demand. There has been some demand
                    >for a second receiver which would cover WX as well as the other aspects
                    >I mentioned, but I still don't think the demand would be high enough to
                    >recover the R&D costs. If you're going to add the weather receiver, it
                    >would be dumb to not to the extra mile for the fully functional receiver.

                    If it was just for WX, then it's wasted outside the US (as the
                    existing WX features already are for me). However, if the second Rx
                    can be assigned to other purposes as well (CloseCall, priority watch,
                    etc), then it would be a really useful asset.

                    >As for "significantly", about $200-300 depending on whether the decoding
                    >circuits can be reused for the second receiver. I don't know of many
                    >people who would want to pay $700 to $800 for a portable scanner just to
                    >get the advantages. Sure, several people would, but I doubt enough to
                    >recover the costs.

                    The amateur gear with two receivers doesn't seem to have a $200
                    premium, probably nearer $100. However, it is worth noting that in
                    the Icom D-STAR amateur radios (which, like P25, require a vocoder
                    chip from DVSI), only one of the receivers is able to decode digital
                    transmissions. That might be a compromise required to keep the cost
                    down. Right now, a second, analog only Rx wouldn't be a big handicap
                    (I don't have any P25 systems in my scanner yet - but I will within a
                    couple of years when our fire service goes digital), but it might be
                    limiting in the future.

                    73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                    http://vkradio.com
                  • mch@nb.net
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 7 2:54 PM
                      Something to keep in mind is that some ham rigs don't really have dual receivers, but simply dual VFOs.
                      Adding a second VFO is a matter of firmware while a second receiver requires duplicate hardware.

                      That said, I thought Canada was switching over to the same alert system (and same frequencies) that the USA uses.

                      Joe M.

                      On Sat 07/05/11 5:29 PM , "Tony Langdon, VK3JED" vk3jed@... sent:

                      Message 10 of 30 , May 7 2:59 PM
                        Ok, so a 386XT with dual VFO much like the Yupiteru MVT-7100 series.

                        That would be very useful. Could toggle between a channel within a group or the current frequency
                        set in the VFO.

                        Wonder if that could really be accomplished in firmware...

                        Message 11 of 30 , May 7 3:01 PM
                          At 07:54 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                          >Something to keep in mind is that some ham rigs don't really have
                          >dual receivers, but simply dual VFOs.
                          >Adding a second VFO is a matter of firmware while a second receiver
                          >requires duplicate hardware.

                          But I'm able to simultaneously listen to two separate frequencies (in
                          the same or a different band). Example: Icom IC-91AD has this
                          ability, and its two receivers have different capabilities (only one
                          can do digital, only the other can do wideband FM). Sounds like two
                          receivers to me.

                          >That said, I thought Canada was switching over to the same alert
                          >system (and same frequencies) that the USA uses.

                          I'm in Australia, where a US style weather alert system is never
                          going to happen. :)

                          73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                          http://vkradio.com
                        • mch@nb.net
                          Message 12 of 30 , May 7 4:25 PM
                            It definitely could be done in firmware. The scanner has one VFO. Adding a second one would only require another channel exactly like the one for the first VFO, and a way to select it. You could simply have the keypad active to select 10 VFOs when you are in VFO mode. I don't recall the Yupi all that well, but I know the recent AOR offerings have two VFOs.

                            Joe M.

                            On Sat 07/05/11 5:59 PM , Lance milcom_chaser@... sent:

                            Message 13 of 30 , May 7 4:33 PM
                              If you can hear two conversations at the same time, it has to have dual receivers.

                              My point was not specific to the 91, but about ham rigs in general. Some of them
                              have only dual VFOs which can only monitor one frequency at a time.

                              Joe M.

                              On Sat 07/05/11 6:01 PM , "Tony Langdon, VK3JED" vk3jed@... sent:
                              > At 07:54 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                              > >Something to keep in mind is that some ham rigs
                              > don't really have >dual receivers, but simply dual VFOs.
                              > >Adding a second VFO is a matter of firmware while
                              > a second receiver >requires duplicate hardware.
                              >
                              > But I'm able to simultaneously listen to two separate frequencies (in
                              > the same or a different band). Example: Icom IC-91AD has this
                              > ability, and its two receivers have different capabilities (only one
                              > can do digital, only the other can do wideband FM). Sounds like two
                              > receivers to me.
                              >

                              > >That said, I thought Canada was switching over to
                              > the same alert >system (and same frequencies) that the USA
                              > uses.
                              > I'm in Australia, where a US style weather alert system is never
                              > going to happen. :)
                              >
                              > 73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                              > http://vkradio.com

                              > Your email settings:
                              > Individual Email | Traditional
                              >
                              > To change settings online go to:
                              >
                              > To change settings via email:
                              > BCD396XT-digest@yahoogroups.com BCD396XT-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Clark Rennie
                              Message 14 of 30 , May 7 4:49 PM
                                What does any of this have to do with "Audio dropouts" which the original
                                poster stated was found and corrected
                                by an option which was overlooked ?

                                Clark

                              • mch@nb.net
                                Message 15 of 30 , May 7 5:01 PM
                                  It was not 'corrected' - it was 'disabled'.

                                  If you have a second receiver, you don't have to put up with any dropouts
                                  on the received signal while the receiver switches to the secondary function.

                                  This means WX Priority (the function that was disabled), Close Call, or channel
                                  priority could be used with no gaps in the received signal. Additionally, more
                                  features such as true priority among any system type could be added.

                                  Close Call DND does help on the XT with the gaps, but CC is disabled whenever
                                  a signal is received. Hence, it's not a true solution.

                                  Joe M.

                                  On Sat 07/05/11 7:49 PM , Clark Rennie c.rennie1@... sent:
                                  > What does any of this have to do with "Audio dropouts" which the
                                  > original poster stated was found and corrected
                                  > by an option which was overlooked ?
                                  >
                                  > Clark
                                  >

                                  > At 04:25 PM 5/7/2011, you wrote:
                                  >

                                  > >It definitely could be done in firmware. The
                                  > scanner has one VFO. Adding a >second one would only require another channel
                                  > exactly like the one for the >first VFO, and a way to select it. You could
                                  > simply have the keypad active >to select 10 VFOs when you are in VFO mode. I
                                  > don't recall the Yupi all >that well, but I know the recent AOR offerings
                                  > have two VFOs.>
                                  > >Joe M.
                                • Jeffry Rehm
                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 7 5:38 PM
                                    Well, I guess Uniden isn't going to make a WX/All Hazzards radio that is better than the competitor.

                                    It was not 'corrected' - it was 'disabled'.

                                    If you have a second receiver, you don't have to put up with any dropouts
                                    on the received signal while the receiver switches to the secondary function.

                                    This means WX Priority (the function that was disabled), Close Call, or channel
                                    priority could be used with no gaps in the received signal. Additionally, more
                                    features such as true priority among any system type could be added.

                                    Close Call DND does help on the XT with the gaps, but CC is disabled whenever
                                    a signal is received. Hence, it's not a true solution.

                                    Joe M.

                                    On Sat 07/05/11 7:49 PM , Clark Rennie c.rennie1@... sent:
                                    > What does any of this have to do with "Audio dropouts" which the
                                    > original poster stated was found and corrected
                                    > by an option which was overlooked ?
                                    >
                                    > Clark
                                    >

                                    > At 04:25 PM 5/7/2011, you wrote:
                                    >

                                    > >It definitely could be done in firmware. The
                                    > scanner has one VFO. Adding a >second one would only require another channel
                                    > exactly like the one for the >first VFO, and a way to select it. You could
                                    > simply have the keypad active >to select 10 VFOs when you are in VFO mode. I
                                    > don't recall the Yupi all >that well, but I know the recent AOR offerings
                                    > have two VFOs.>
                                    > >Joe M.

                                  • Tony Langdon, VK3JED
                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 7 6:57 PM
                                      At 09:33 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                                      >If you can hear two conversations at the same time, it has to have
                                      >dual receivers.

                                      That's exactly what I was referring to. The 91 is one of several
                                      examples of dual receivers, which can monitor two different
                                      frequencies simultaneously (though when both fire up, it can be
                                      tricky picking the tangle of audio apart! :) ).

                                      >My point was not specific to the 91, but about ham rigs in general.
                                      >Some of them
                                      >have only dual VFOs which can only monitor one frequency at a time.

                                      True, but I was pointing some do have dual receivers and it doesn't
                                      seem to be a major price premium, unless you want digital capability
                                      on both receivers.

                                      73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                                      http://vkradio.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 7 7:40 PM
                                        DOH! VK3.... I read VE3 (Canada). :-\

                                        Joe M.

                                        Tony Langdon, VK3JED wrote:
                                        > At 07:54 AM 5/8/2011, you wrote:
                                        >> That said, I thought Canada was switching over to the same alert
                                        >> system (and same frequencies) that the USA uses.
                                        >
                                        > I'm in Australia, where a US style weather alert system is never
                                        > going to happen. :)
                                        >
                                        > 73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                                        > http://vkradio.com
                                      • Uniden UPMan
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 9 8:49 AM
                                          In my (admittedly biased) opinion, the BC370CRS is the best All Hazards radio on the market. In addition to full SAME support (including paying attention to the end-of-message signal), it will alert to All Hazards in areas without NOAA coverage, but with alerts going out on AM or FM Broadcast stations.

                                          It also supports external trigger (for hearing or sight impaired alerting). Plus, is a 300-channel conventional scanner with AM/FM broadcast coverage and Atomic Clock.

                                          Only one receiver, though.

                                          Which competitor has a better one?

                                          UPMan

                                          Message 20 of 30 , May 9 9:10 AM
                                            Is the output active only during the alert message, or only during the
                                            alert duration, or some other timeframe?

                                            Joe M.

                                            Uniden UPMan wrote:

                                            > In my (admittedly biased) opinion, the BC370CRS is the best All Hazards radio on the market. In addition to full SAME support (including paying attention to the end-of-message signal), it will alert to All Hazards in areas without NOAA coverage, but with alerts going out on AM or FM Broadcast stations.
                                            >
                                            > It also supports external trigger (for hearing or sight impaired alerting). Plus, is a 300-channel conventional scanner with AM/FM broadcast coverage and Atomic Clock.
                                            >
                                            > Only one receiver, though.
                                            >
                                            > Which competitor has a better one?
                                            >
                                            > UPMan

                                          • Paul Opitz
                                            Message 21 of 30 , May 9 2:05 PM
                                              When in SAME standby, the audio path will open when a matching SAME is received
                                              and will close when the end-of-message is received.

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 30 , May 9 2:10 PM
                                                I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. I'm talking about the external trigger.

                                                Joe M.

                                              • Paul Opitz
                                                Message 23 of 30 , May 9 2:19 PM
                                                  IIRC it provides a switch closure at the beginning of an alert (momentary).

                                                  Paul Opitz wrote:
                                                  > When in SAME standby, the audio path will open when a matching SAME is received
                                                  >
                                                  > and will close when the end-of-message is received.

                                                • Paul Opitz
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , May 9 2:34 PM
                                                    Correction, it will provide a voltage out (9V) at the beginning of the alert.