Re: [BCD396XT] Group Lockout Question...

  • Jim Walls
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2011
      On 5/2/2011 1:30 PM, Lance wrote:
      > I had two groups scanning under a system the other day and in disabling one, I then disabled the other.
      >
      > I was not able to bring the groups back up again. I went and unlocked them, but had no luck. Had to use
      >
      > FreeScan to fix the problem.
      >
      > So, if I inadvertently do this again in the future, how does one bring the groups back without using software.

      My solution to this problem is to program one channel in each system
      that is in a group all to itself and has NO Group Quick Key. The
      channel is set to NEVER hear anything. The result is that under no
      circumstances will every group in the system be locked out and
      therefore, it's easy to bring the desired groups back.
      I found this MUCH easier then having to remember how to do the procedure
      (or to do it while driving).

      --
      73
      -------------------------------------
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2011
        Can you explain this in another way perhaps?

        I got lost on, "program one channel in each system

        > that is in a group all to itself and has NO Group Quick Key"

        No group quick key?

        Thanks for your suggestion...

        -Lance

      • Jim Walls
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2011
          On 5/2/2011 8:42 PM, Lance wrote:
          > Can you explain this in another way perhaps?

          Sure. Best way is to use an example. For this example I have a system
          for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept. In that system I have 8
          groups which have Group Quick Keys 1 - 8. I also create a 9th group
          which has NO Group Quick Key and has only one channel programmed. I
          call that 9th group "Keep alive" and I name the one channel in that
          group "Keep alive". The frequency programmed in 500.025 with some DPL
          on receive. Since that is the bottom of TV channel 19 which happens not
          to be used for TV here in Los Angeles, the squelch will never open on
          the Keep alive channel.

          If I turn off all the Group Quick Keys, the "Keep alive" group will
          still be active so therefore the rest of the groups can be turned back
          on easily.

          In case you have not figured it out, I ONLY use System Quick Keys to
          turn systems on and off, and ONLY use Group Quick Keys to turn groups on
          and off.

          --
          73
          -------------------------------------
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2011
            I gotta ask, Jim. If you have that single channel, that will keep the
            System 'alive', but how do you then get back to it to re-enable a GQK,
            as a single channel will scan extremely fast.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2011
              I get it now, good explanation.

              Thanks for that. Interesting solution you came up with...

              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2011
                Doesn't seem like that would be an issue.

                Guess I will try this see how the radio behaves...

                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2011
                  Just did your method, works great...

                  Thanks.