Re: [BCD396XT] Re: marine AIS and BCD396XT

  • Walter Jinright
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 15, 2011
      I thought so, but I also worked with one of the local agencies for many years, I was a Major over Communications. When I showed our Chief of Communications (Over all County Radio Systems), his exact words were, "We put it out on the air, it becomes public information just like when we receive an email from a citizen asking an official question". So he knows it is done, I also had made him aware that there was a local scanner club (in the late 90's - around 2001), that was actually posting the decoded text on a BBS system. The only change the Chief of Comms made, was he had everyone stop putting passwords, alarm, door, gate, and other codes as to prevent someone from using the info to burglarize a building where fire or deputies are dispatched, they give the address and key location, alarm code,etc.. Other than that, he pretty much does not care.
      I know I have sent my share of "private" pages and messages over the system many times, even for a year or so before I knew it was so easy to decode! So I am sure one of those "boys" has an old CD-ROM or floppy still out there somewhere with my dirty laundry on it too ;-)
      Also, I know many of the people on the system, they know it is also watched at the source by their Captains (because of harsh, cursing pages, racial pages, etc that have been sent to people in the past, so if they even drop the "F Bomb" on the message system or over the Zetron Paging system, they will be called into an office that day/night and get their rear handed to them!
      Anyway, it is no secret, at least here, even deputies, fire fighters, emts, even county road guys are know to open the ole poc32 and monitor, so I do care that anyone know I do check out the system on a basis of several times a week. But I do not go tell "Bob" that "Jim" is talking smack about him behind his back, etc... I use discretion, as do most of the users on the system, as it is also a tool for the job too.

      Thanks for the tip and Happy Scanning!
      Walter J. - In The Middle of; Pensacola NAS, KPNS, NAS Whiting KNSE & KNDZ, 2R4, and Eglin AFB / Hurlburt Field

      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 18, 2011

        "Smoke Signals.."

        Very funny...

        Thanks your input with 396XT.