Re: [BCD396XT] Re: marine AIS and BCD396XT

  • Bruno Vianna
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 14, 2011
      Hi Walter, absolutely no problem.

      Here are the steps:

      1) Remove 6 black screws from the back of the scanner (2 are in the battery
      compartment)
      2) Remove the casing
      3) Remove 6 silver screws that hold the board to the other side of the
      casing. Again, 2 of the screws were under a black tape next to the speaker.
      4) Remove carefully the board from the casing - two wires will be connected
      to the speakers, you will need to watch that.
      5) On the top part, there will be actually two boards connected through a
      header. Pull them apart.
      6) Look at the inner side of the top board. You'll see a few solder discs
      marked GROUND, DISC, RSSI and another one I can't remember. You need to
      solder an audio cable to DISC and GROUND.
      7) Now you have to find a way to get the cable out of the casing, and also
      solder a mono p2 jack (or whatever you want) to the other end. This will be
      your unfiltered audio out. The DISC will be the tip of the p2, GROUND will
      be the ring.

      I passed the cable through the hole in battery compartment. I'd prefer to
      make a new plug next to the power jack, like this:
      http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/108388-396t-usb-port-discriminator-bluetooth-mod.html
      But I couldn't find the USB jacks.

      8) Now just put everything back together, plug the audio cable to your
      computer, and use either shipplotter or AISmon to decode the data.

      Have fun
      Bruno

      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 18, 2011
        UPMan,