Re: [BCD396XT] Re: marine AIS and BCD396XT

  • Walter Jinright
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 13, 2011
      Brian, Thanks for those links and info. I already follow ACARS (Commercial / Civilian Aircraft), APRS, POCSAG, MCT/MDT (CAD Monitoring), just starting to tinker with Mode-S Military Aircraft, Digital Encryption Decoders, and UniTrunker (found a bit boring). But I had only heard something once before about AIS. I remember when Pop Comm had the article about HF phasing out for Maritime use years ago (I am almost 40 and been using scanners since I was maybe 7 or 8, started with an old Bearcat 8 channel VHF Hi/Low - UHF crystal controlled (The big black metal scanner with the big speaker and 8 red LEDs that would "chase" across the front, with a lock-out / hold switch at each LED). My Grandfather gave me when I was 7 I believe. Then a few years later, he gave me one of the first portable 4 channel crystal controlled scanners, which I actually found the 159.150 MHz crystal for that one when I was cleaning my garage last year, (the old Escambia County, FL Sheriff Channel).
      Wow, has radio technology come a LOOONG way since then! I never cease to be amazed at the ever changing technology, but a bit frustrated when they started using systems with ProVoice, etc... at least until that handy, very tiny bit of code was written to decode most of it ;-) But then again, there seems to be a new type of encryption every time one is broken :-(
      Anyway, thanks again for the links, I will have to check out AIS, as VHF carries very well here on the Gulf of Mexico. I can hear ship voice channels for hundreds of miles, and aircraft all the way out over the Atlantic Ocean for most of the year, I guess it is the ducting or inversion layers over the warm water here on the Gulf Coast?

      Have a great night,
      Walter J. - In The Middle of; Pensacola NAS, KPNS, NAS Whiting NSE & NDZ, 2R4, and Eglin AFB / Hurlburt Field

      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 18, 2011
        UPMan,

        "Smoke Signals.."

        Very funny...