Re: [BCD396XT] External speaker for 396XT

  • Mr. L. Harris
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 14, 2011
      heres what I did  its cheap and it works GREAT

      do you or any one you know have any OLD desktop (486 or pentum II syle) AMPLIFIED speakers?

       i had 3 sets of them , they are harmon kardon  , and how they worked is you plug the output into the soundcard of they then have a 12 v contact power supply, connection, so i took the speaker with the power input made a  dapter to the CAR aux, and out a male jack the ear out of the 396xt then i hook it up and keep the XT on 4 volume setting and i turnthe volume up or down on the harmon kardon speaker to what i want and it will BLAZE on high i can drive down the interstate and hear it LOUDLY and CLEARLY in the car

      if any one isinterested ill take a couple pictures of the setup  either on or off the group if you want the pix emaild to you just email me and ill send em

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 14, 2011
        thats the correct AMPLIFIED Pc speakers , mine BLAST clear and loudly

        _________________________________
        L.H.'s Daily Tagline:
                  John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me

        I prefer the Motorola amplified speakers, but there are many
        that will do the job - including some amplified PC speakers.

        Joe M.

        BDR431@... wrote:
        > Back on Aug. 25, 2010, list member Lance Star posted:
        > <<I noticed on my 396XT that when I plug in an external speaker. The audio
        > is not
        > significantly louder than the internal speaker. Is there some design
        > change in
        > the audio to prevent hearing damage through ear buds, or do I have an issue
        > with the audio output via the ext. jack on this radio?
        >
        > Thanks.>>
        >
        > The replies appeared to come to a consensus that an amplified speaker might
        > do the job.
        >
        > I checked the Scanner Master site, and found only one model of amplified
        > speaker - Watson SP-180A 4inch.
        >
        > Have any of the list members tried the Watson SP-180A or another amplified
        > speaker? What were your results? Any preference on make/brand of speaker?
        >
        > Brian Riley

      • Lance Star
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 14, 2011
          Rich,

          Have you actually done this on your 396XT?

          It will drive a regular 8 ohm external speaker?

          Interesting...

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 15, 2011
            Ye, it works well.

            On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 1:28 AM, Lance Star <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:
            > Rich,
            >
            > Have you actually done this on your 396XT?
            >
            > It will drive a regular 8 ohm external speaker?
            >
            > Interesting...

            Rich Carlson, N9JIG
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 15, 2011
              But, doing that can increase the chance of hearing damage should you use
              an earphone in the future. Best bet is to just use an amplified external
              speaker.

              Joe M.

            • doctordialtone@att.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 15, 2011
                I'm sure it's been covered here somewhere before, but external speakers tend to add a "Thumping" sound.

                I overcame this by inserting a transformer across the output.

                The secondary feeds the speakers, and it's smoooooooth and LOUD with amplified PC speakers.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 15, 2011
                  The 'thumping': Is it just at the beginning when the audio amp is
                  turning on, or is it continuous throughout the transmission?

                  Joe M.

                • doctordialtone@att.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 15, 2011
                    As I recall - at the beginning only - and it can be irritating.

                    Definitely not throughout.

                    I just used any transformer I had, in this case a 70Volt Paging speaker transformer. Anything to isolate the output from the speaker.

                    I put mine inside a tiny plastic bottle and sealed it up.

                    I've gone thumpless for the past two years

                    Now, the neighbors can listen along too!

                    Give the PC speaker thing a try and see if you hear the "thump".

                    I operate at about a 7 on the volume and control overall volume on the powered PC speakers

                    ~Doc