Re: [BCD396XT] Re: X2-TDMA (Future P25 Phase II) Support

    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 14, 2011
      That first link says exactly what Frank Cardenas said (or relayed): "The
      physical layer standard was completed in 2009, and the media access
      control (MAC) layer was completed in 2010."

      Combine that with what others, including Paul, are saying and you can
      see how everyone is 'right'. The core is completed. There are just some
      minor details that need finished, but they are nothing that cannot be
      addressed in software/firmware.

      So, paraphrasing from the first link:
      July 2009: Physical Layer docs completed
      November 2010: TDMA MAC docs completed

      One could argue that the standard was complete in July 2009, or November
      2010, or not yet completed, and be correct. In 2009, even though the
      Physical Layer was done, that was not the completion of the Phase II
      standard, nor is the completion of the TDMA MAC. Maybe all the hardware
      specs are complete, but the Phase II standard is not complete yet as a
      whole. I think people are seeing press releases of major milestones of
      part of the standard and reading that as the Phase II standard being
      complete.

      BTW, Project25.org appears to be a group of people interested in P25,
      but it appears to not be owned or directly affiliated with APCO (who own
      the P25 standards). APCO's website still has meetings scheduled on P25
      development.

      And Motorola has been saying they have been leading the way on Phase II
      since Phase II was in the early planning stages. It is interesting that
      they cite planned release in August. I'm sure if the standard were done,
      they would be shipping Phase II systems today (and calling them that).

      Joe M.

      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 15, 2011
        Yeah. Don't know what happened to the formatting.