Re: [BCD396XT] Re: X2-TDMA (Future P25 Phase II) Support

  • Frank Cardenas
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 13 8:07 PM
      Joe, Motorola has operational Phase 2 systems right now. The roll out for
      customers is August. I don't think Motorola would announce a roll out date
      if they weren't committed to a Phase 2 Standard. They are calling this Phase
      2 not X2 TDMA.

      "We�ll have commercially available equipment in August,� said Brenda Herold,
      corporate vice president, Motorola Solutions. �We�re well along with
      operational systems in our labs. We�ll have a live system at IWCE". We have
      not shipped Phase 2 equipment, but we have a number of contracts for
      equipment for upgrades to Phase 2 or new systems for Phase 2. The rollout
      will start based on customer schedules as of August this year.�

      On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 7:56 PM, MCH <mch@...> wrote:

      > The latest info I've heard came from Paul, and even he said there are
      > parts of it that are not yet finalized. I also recall some timetables
      > that indicate that it's still being worked on (including on the APCO web
      > site, and they should know - it's their standard).
      >
      > You would think that if it's done, there would be equipment that is sold
      > as "P25 Phase II" and not some other label such as "X2 TDMA".
      >
      > Joe M.
      >

      > JETorres wrote:
      > > They finished the spec last year Joe. It's not a guess.
      > >

      > > On Mar 13, 2011, at 5:37 AM, MCH <mch@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Just because they have contracts to provide something does not mean the
      > >> spec is complete. They had contracts to provide Phase I systems before
      > >> the P25 spec was complete. They had to update the equipment to make sure
      >
      > >> it complied once the spec was finished (IF it did not already meet the
      > >> spec). They sold many of the P25 systems that have P16 control channels
      > >> as "P25 compliant systems".
      > >>
      > >> Their X2 TDMA solutions may well be Phase II compliant, but they cannot
      > >> guarantee that yet. The best they can do is sell systems with the
      > >> provision that they will be compliant with the Phase II spec once it's
      > >> complete. Despite the fact they are Motorola, they do not always get
      > >> their way with APCO standards. They wanted P25 to allow for 3600 baud
      > >> control channels. That didn't happen.
      > >>
      > >> Another fact: Phase II will be TDMA *or* FDMA. GRE has been proven
      > >> (let's accept the fact that it is for argument's sake) to work on X2
      > >> TDMA systems. Will it work on X2 FDMA systems? There are no reports on
      > >> that yet that I'm aware of. (and there may not be any such systems on
      > >> the air yet)
      > >>
      > >> Joe M.

      > contracts for Phase 2 systems that start shipping out this late summer. So
      > if anything, Uniden might be waiting until the systems are already running
      > which would still be no later than fall or winter this year.

      > 03:33:00

    • Yuni T. Runker
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 15 7:44 AM
        Yeah. Don't know what happened to the formatting.