Re: [BCD396XT] Re: X2-TDMA (Future P25 Phase II) Support

  • Yuni T. Runker
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 13, 2011
      Good morning all;

      Some key details:

      Fact: the control channel format does not change. If you find yourself "stuck" with a phase I radio in a phase 2 world you can still use it for monitoring with programs like Pro96Com and Unitrunker.

      X2 vs. Phase 2

      X2 uses the half rate vocoder.
      Phase 2 uses the half rate vocoder.

      If the scanner's on-board vocoder can't be upgraded (or doesn't do full and half rate already) - it's obsolete.

      The big difference between X2 and Phase 2 is symbol rate. X2 is 4800. IIRC (from 2007) the symbol rate for phase 2 is 6000. This is effectively a new protocol which means more supporting code in the firmware. There is risk the resulting code exceeds the size of the onboard firmware (eg. won't fit).

      In short - too many unknown variables - including the possibility that Uniden and/or GRE decide to introduce new models. Uniden could decide to charge an upgrade fee. GRE will likely introduce a new PSR510/610 models to complement the new 310/410 models introduced last month.

      On Mar 13, 2011, at 11:46 AM, Lance Star <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:

      > So for 396XT owner's is the upgrade path going to entail a firmware update, or are there changes to the hardware on the implementation side (Motorola) that will require a redesign of the 396XT logic board?

    • Yuni T. Runker
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 15, 2011
        Yeah. Don't know what happened to the formatting.