RE: [BCD396XT] Re: Roof top antenna for bcd396xt

  • Bob Burns W9RXR
    Message 1 of 62 , Feb 2, 2011
      At 03:01 PM 2/2/2011, Les Shew wrote:

      >What is the name or designation for "hard line ?"

      Andrew Heliax is a common brand name for hardline. And it's not
      really hard because the shield is a corrugated copper tube so it has
      some flexibility.

      The cable TV hardline (75 ohm) that I've seen had a smooth aluminum
      shield and was very stiff, however it would bend enough to be rolled
      up on large spools.

      > Is LMR-600 the same as "hard line ?"

      No. LMR-600 is a low-loss braided-shield coax marketed by Times
      Microwave. It has a nominal diameter of 0.590 inches...hence, the
      "600" designation. It's also available in other sizes from 0.110
      inches to 1.670 inches. LMR-400 is a common upgrade from RG8 and is
      roughly the same diameter as RG8.

      Bob...
    • David Klippel
      Message 62 of 62 , Feb 2, 2011
        I think he was meaning that this group is supposed to be focused to
        396XT issues not generic scanners topics at length that are better
        covered in other groups like the newscannerantenna group that was
        suggested. I tend to agree. The thread on antenna suggestions is getting
        long and off topic from the 386XT focus which is what I why I originally
        signed up. The brief tangent is ok but the antenna and coax discussion
        has been been the majority of the traffic here for a month or so..Though
        at a low level it is interesting it is becoming off topic noise and
        degrading the intended focus of the group.

        This is just my view, all two cents of it, and it is the moderator that
        has the control of discussion so I could off base. I think Clark's
        response appropriate and John's follow up with the group name helpful.

        --
        David