GPS UNITs

  • James
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2011
      Has anyone had any experience with a GPS unit for the 396XT? I am going to buy one but not sure where to go for it. Will this give it the capability similar to Unidens Home Patrol, if any knows.

      Thanks,

      JimG
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2011
        I think Scanner Master has some pucks that work well with the GPS
        scanners. All you do is supply them 12V and connect them to your scanner
        via a null modem adapter and put them on the roof or dashboard.

        I've used ones by Delua and Byonics. I think I'm missing a letter from
        Delua, but I'm not sure. Those ones may not be made anymore anyway.

        Joe M.

        James wrote:
        > Has anyone had any experience with a GPS unit for the 396XT? I am going to buy one but not sure where to go for it. Will this give it the capability similar to Unidens Home Patrol, if any knows.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > JimG
      • johnstark
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2011
          Do a search of the lists archives.... this subject has been covered
          repeatedly over the years and theres a lot of info those posts.

          > Has anyone had any experience with a GPS unit for the 396XT? I am going
          > to buy one but not sure where to go for it. Will this give it the
          > capability similar to Unidens Home Patrol, if any knows.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > JimG

        • John Chabalko
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2011
            You'll need one that outputs serial directly and there aren't a huge number of
            those units around any more. Most all of the new ones are USB only.

            I don't know if others have experience with it but i think the garmin GPS18x
            devices could be a real good match for this scanner (And possibly APRS use etc)

            https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=158&pID=27594

            I'm also pretty sure almost all of these would work for you:
            http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/77

            Or here:
            http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/gps.php

            I use a Garmin 60CSx, any of the garmins in that 60-series puts out serial you
            can use with the scanner.

            I use mine with a custom cable i made up for my APRS rig in my car and it works
            great, i haven't used it with my scanner but the principle is the same. i'm
            fairly certain it would work fine.

            Someone else might be better to comment about the Home Patrol system but my
            understanding is that by using a GPS device with the [3,9]96x[t] devices it will
            auto enable and disable systems local to your known GPS coordinates which is
            probably what you're looking to do?

            The Home Patrol system is able to do that and also a bunch more having to do
            with how you manage the systems etc...

            At one point i was going to put my scanner in the car and use one of those
            GPS18x devices to feed it coordinates. I don't really drive very much so i
            deprioritized the project

            Good luck with it.

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 28, 2011
              Not wanting to be tied down to a 12v power supply for the Garmin puck GPS
              units I went searching for something different. The Garmin eTrexR H Part
              Number: 010-00631-00 is the only eTrex unit that has the serial output.
              Garmin states the unit will run up to 17 hrs with two AA batteries and
              although I have not measured the time, it will give at least 8 hours for
              sure. I think WalMart carries this unit and also a number of GPS online
              stores carry it also. You will also need the serial cable for the eTrex
              which I wound up ordering online. Make sure it's for the serial output since
              the rest of the eTrex units are usb. Then I used a null modem adapter to
              connect the eTrex cable to the Uniden cable and all was good. I think I got
              mine from Radio Shack but don't remember anymore. I had several of the null
              modem adapters around the house from days gone by.

              Since Uniden and Garmin think you need a half mile of cable for their units
              I coiled the excess cable and tied with a ty-rap and stuffed into a sock.
              Velcro will also work good to keep the wires together and the sock makes it
              all look a little neater. Best use a clean sock though and stuff it in your
              back pocket for a holder. I let the GPS unit hang out a bit so I can turn
              it on and off and that's it. Gives me total mobility with a pocket size
              unit.

              I have a Garmin GPS puck in the car for the mobile radios and they will also
              work on the 396XT, just need a constant 12 v power to run them and again, a
              null modem adapter.

            • J Ganey
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 30, 2011
                Thanks John, I did that and was surprised.. J

                JimG

                Do a search of the lists archives.... this subject has been covered
                repeatedly over the years and theres a lot of info those posts.

                > Has anyone had any experience with a GPS unit for the 396XT? I am going
                > to buy one but not sure where to go for it. Will this give it the
                > capability similar to Unidens Home Patrol, if any knows.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > JimG

              • johnstark
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 30, 2011
                  No problem.... it's been covered a lot :) Glad you got your answer too.