Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Roof top antenna for bcd396xt

  • Nick Marsh
    Message 1 of 62 , Jan 11, 2011
      >We can also look at what’s called “Mismatch Loss”, which for when
      >calculated for a 75 ohm cable connected to a 50 ohm antenna results in a
      >loss of around >0.2dB….. Not even worth considering….

      >Bottom line: Using 75 ohm transmission line with a 50 ohm antenna ain’t a
      >big deal….

      >All that said, getting an outside antenna up on a pole works wonders --
      >even though most broadband antennas such as a discone have no gain
      >themselves, getting >one up high on a pole and connected via GOOD coax will
      >let you hear stuff you never though possible.

      >Michael

      Michael has made very good points here and is probably the best response
      I've seen to the original question. Very few people own equipment
      sophisticated enough to see any real signal difference due to impedance
      mismatch between 50 and 75 ohm coaxial feedline.

      Antenna height and feed line losses are the keys to a good system. If you
      have access to any low loss cable, either 50 or 75 ohm don't hesitate to use
      it. Your $500 scanner will not know the difference between $500 worth of
      rigid hard line or $100 worth of quality 75 ohm TV coax. Like others have
      said, avoid the cheap RG-58/59 stuff unless that is all you can afford.

      Nick
      WB4SQI
    • David Klippel
      Message 62 of 62 , Feb 2, 2011
        I think he was meaning that this group is supposed to be focused to
        396XT issues not generic scanners topics at length that are better
        covered in other groups like the newscannerantenna group that was
        suggested. I tend to agree. The thread on antenna suggestions is getting
        long and off topic from the 386XT focus which is what I why I originally
        signed up. The brief tangent is ok but the antenna and coax discussion
        has been been the majority of the traffic here for a month or so..Though
        at a low level it is interesting it is becoming off topic noise and
        degrading the intended focus of the group.

        This is just my view, all two cents of it, and it is the moderator that
        has the control of discussion so I could off base. I think Clark's
        response appropriate and John's follow up with the group name helpful.

        --
        David