Re: [BCD396XT] Blind Scanner User Extremely Frustrated!

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5 2:46 AM
      Threaded. I hope you can read this OK.

      Matt Roberts wrote:

      > Here is what "blind friendly" means to me. Can the keys be identifiable by touch?

      Yes. The keys are regular button keys.

      > Can you easily turn on and off the scanner?

      That's via the volume knob, like most scanners.

      > Can you turn off sites, systems, or groups using the keypad.

      Provided you have them set up with Quick Keys, yes.

      > Can you access a channel you've locked out without accessing the menus?

      Provided you have set the Channel Number Tag, yes.

      > I want to program my local airport frequencies. I have to lockout the ATIS frequency, because it transmits continuously. Can I lockout this channel, and access it when I want?

      Yes. The same as the other answer just above. Same as any other channel.

      > I don't want "Search with Scan" enabled, but want to access certain service searches.

      Again, if you have set them up with a Quick Key, that is easy.

      > I also want to easily access the tone-out feature. Can this be done?

      That one may not be easily done. I don't recall if that can be assigned
      to a function key or not.

      > If I can do some of this stuff, or all of it, the scanner is usable by a blind person. Therefore Uniden is wrong when they say a blind person can't use this product.

      You're dealing with matters of degrees here. Can a blind person use the
      menus? Yes, if you can remember the order of the menus. But for the most
      part the menus would have to be seen to be used.

      I can see why Uniden said no based on this factor. However, once the
      scanner is programmed, most functions can be accessed as described above.

      > I don't need to "see" which talk group is active, because after a while, I can tell by listening to it. I can also use the unit numbers I her, as well as knowing the dispatchers' voices.
      > Programming the scanner is not possible if you're blind, using the scanner itself, but that can be done with software. Most people use software anyway, so that is not a big thing to me.

      And virtual control via software is another aspect that may be of use to
      you.

      Joe M.
    • Matt Roberts
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5 11:56 PM
        On Jan 5, 2011, at 5:46 AM, MCH wrote:

        >> I also want to easily access the tone-out feature. Can this be done?
        >
        > That one may not be easily done. I don't recall if that can be assigned
        > to a function key or not.

        es it can! It's search key "1" on my future scanner.

        >> If I can do some of this stuff, or all of it, the scanner is usable by a blind person. Therefore Uniden is wrong when they say a blind person can't use this product.
        >
        > You're dealing with matters of degrees here. Can a blind person use the
        > menus? Yes, if you can remember the order of the menus. But for the most
        > part the menus would have to be seen to be used.
        >

        > And virtual control via software is another aspect that may be of use to
        > you.

        Virtual control is of interest. FreeScan even has keyboard commands which make it usable by a blind person. If the scanner display appears as text on the computer screen, a blind person could access everything. The person could get talk group information which could not have been gotten by looking at the display.

        Matt Roberts blindbiker@...