Re: [BCD396XT] Blind Scanner User Extremely Frustrated!

  • johnstark
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
      Matt,

      Most of what you want to do is easy enough once you learn the keys. Channel
      lockout may be an issue, but if you set up Quck Keys it won't be a problem.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
        Threaded. I hope you can read this OK.

        Matt Roberts wrote:

        > Here is what "blind friendly" means to me. Can the keys be identifiable by touch?

        Yes. The keys are regular button keys.

        > Can you easily turn on and off the scanner?

        That's via the volume knob, like most scanners.

        > Can you turn off sites, systems, or groups using the keypad.

        Provided you have them set up with Quick Keys, yes.

        > Can you access a channel you've locked out without accessing the menus?

        Provided you have set the Channel Number Tag, yes.

        > I want to program my local airport frequencies. I have to lockout the ATIS frequency, because it transmits continuously. Can I lockout this channel, and access it when I want?

        Yes. The same as the other answer just above. Same as any other channel.

        > I don't want "Search with Scan" enabled, but want to access certain service searches.

        Again, if you have set them up with a Quick Key, that is easy.

        > I also want to easily access the tone-out feature. Can this be done?

        That one may not be easily done. I don't recall if that can be assigned
        to a function key or not.

        > If I can do some of this stuff, or all of it, the scanner is usable by a blind person. Therefore Uniden is wrong when they say a blind person can't use this product.

        You're dealing with matters of degrees here. Can a blind person use the
        menus? Yes, if you can remember the order of the menus. But for the most
        part the menus would have to be seen to be used.

        I can see why Uniden said no based on this factor. However, once the
        scanner is programmed, most functions can be accessed as described above.

        > I don't need to "see" which talk group is active, because after a while, I can tell by listening to it. I can also use the unit numbers I her, as well as knowing the dispatchers' voices.
        > Programming the scanner is not possible if you're blind, using the scanner itself, but that can be done with software. Most people use software anyway, so that is not a big thing to me.

        And virtual control via software is another aspect that may be of use to
        you.

        Joe M.
      • Matt Roberts
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
          On Jan 5, 2011, at 5:46 AM, MCH wrote:

          >> I also want to easily access the tone-out feature. Can this be done?
          >
          > That one may not be easily done. I don't recall if that can be assigned
          > to a function key or not.

          es it can! It's search key "1" on my future scanner.

          >> If I can do some of this stuff, or all of it, the scanner is usable by a blind person. Therefore Uniden is wrong when they say a blind person can't use this product.
          >
          > You're dealing with matters of degrees here. Can a blind person use the
          > menus? Yes, if you can remember the order of the menus. But for the most
          > part the menus would have to be seen to be used.
          >

          > And virtual control via software is another aspect that may be of use to
          > you.

          Virtual control is of interest. FreeScan even has keyboard commands which make it usable by a blind person. If the scanner display appears as text on the computer screen, a blind person could access everything. The person could get talk group information which could not have been gotten by looking at the display.

          Matt Roberts blindbiker@...