Re: [BCD396XT] Blind Scanner User Extremely Frustrated!

  • Sean Paul
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
      Heyya Matt:
      From one blind scanner user to another. I am sure you will figure out the best way to use the 396. While yes, I will agree scanners are much more difficult to use now days than they were in the past due to their minus. I do not think it is impossible at all. John brought up a very good point & one I have used in my area for many years now. Go to the yahoo groups & see if there is a yahoo scan group in your area. I know that there is one here in Chattanooga & a great deal of cities/ areas have them. & they are more than willing to help you with your scanner. I know they have been to me. & I have met allot of great friends threw this group. Good luck & if you need any further information please feel free to write me off list & give me any contact information which You'd like such as skype instant messengers etc. Look forward to hearing from you soon
      Sean Paul
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: RobertKlamp
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 17:38
      Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] Blind Scanner User Extremely Frustrated!

      Well if you want one and customer support wont help you due to your disability first lodge a big complaint with the company that told you a blind person can not use it and there for was told he could get no tech support from the manufacturer. Second I'm constantly on this group as well as many other people that are very knowledgeable when it comes to these radios and we would be more than happy in assisting you in what ever you need help with that has to do with the radio. Sorry they let you down like that Uniden is usually very end user friendly to the consumer whether it is with questions or repairs. UPMan you seen this thread maybe you can give this guy a little re assurance about purchasing one of the best radio scanners on the market. But if all else fails fall back on the group and all your questions should be answered.

      Hope this helped,
      Bob

      Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
        Matt,

        Most of what you want to do is easy enough once you learn the keys. Channel
        lockout may be an issue, but if you set up Quck Keys it won't be a problem.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
          I don't want to go the GRE Radio Shack route again! That was what Uniden said I should do, look at another manufacturer. When I got my last scanner, Pro96, I was fortunate to find someone who was knowledgable about the product. Between him spending time with me at the store, reading the manual, and using software, I was able to use the product effectively.
          The closest place I could go that sells BCD396XT is located in Orlando. That's about 60 miles away, so mail order will be my only options. I'll need to figure out the controls, and location.
          The company already has the idea a blind person can't use the product. Tech support didn't tell me they would not help me because I'm blind, however, I'm sure if I ever have to call, I'll get the runaround.
          I tried to find a phone number for Uniden's corporate office, but I have ben unsuccessful. People who work the 800 lines won't give you one, because they claim one doesn't exist. Customer service reps don't want you to call the corporate office, because if they've done something wrong, they know they'll get in trouble for it.
          Anyone who wants to give me their contact information, I'll gladly put it in my address book.

          Matt Roberts

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
            Threaded. I hope you can read this OK.

            Matt Roberts wrote:

            > Here is what "blind friendly" means to me. Can the keys be identifiable by touch?

            Yes. The keys are regular button keys.

            > Can you easily turn on and off the scanner?

            That's via the volume knob, like most scanners.

            > Can you turn off sites, systems, or groups using the keypad.

            Provided you have them set up with Quick Keys, yes.

            > Can you access a channel you've locked out without accessing the menus?

            Provided you have set the Channel Number Tag, yes.

            > I want to program my local airport frequencies. I have to lockout the ATIS frequency, because it transmits continuously. Can I lockout this channel, and access it when I want?

            Yes. The same as the other answer just above. Same as any other channel.

            > I don't want "Search with Scan" enabled, but want to access certain service searches.

            Again, if you have set them up with a Quick Key, that is easy.

            > I also want to easily access the tone-out feature. Can this be done?

            That one may not be easily done. I don't recall if that can be assigned
            to a function key or not.

            > If I can do some of this stuff, or all of it, the scanner is usable by a blind person. Therefore Uniden is wrong when they say a blind person can't use this product.

            You're dealing with matters of degrees here. Can a blind person use the
            menus? Yes, if you can remember the order of the menus. But for the most
            part the menus would have to be seen to be used.

            I can see why Uniden said no based on this factor. However, once the
            scanner is programmed, most functions can be accessed as described above.

            > I don't need to "see" which talk group is active, because after a while, I can tell by listening to it. I can also use the unit numbers I her, as well as knowing the dispatchers' voices.
            > Programming the scanner is not possible if you're blind, using the scanner itself, but that can be done with software. Most people use software anyway, so that is not a big thing to me.

            And virtual control via software is another aspect that may be of use to
            you.

            Joe M.
          • Matt Roberts
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
              On Jan 5, 2011, at 5:46 AM, MCH wrote:

              >> I also want to easily access the tone-out feature. Can this be done?
              >
              > That one may not be easily done. I don't recall if that can be assigned
              > to a function key or not.

              es it can! It's search key "1" on my future scanner.

              >> If I can do some of this stuff, or all of it, the scanner is usable by a blind person. Therefore Uniden is wrong when they say a blind person can't use this product.
              >
              > You're dealing with matters of degrees here. Can a blind person use the
              > menus? Yes, if you can remember the order of the menus. But for the most
              > part the menus would have to be seen to be used.
              >

              > And virtual control via software is another aspect that may be of use to
              > you.

              Virtual control is of interest. FreeScan even has keyboard commands which make it usable by a blind person. If the scanner display appears as text on the computer screen, a blind person could access everything. The person could get talk group information which could not have been gotten by looking at the display.

              Matt Roberts blindbiker@...