Re: [BCD396XT] Fire Tone-Out

  • Matt Roberts
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2011
      In Volusia county Florida, no testing is done.

      Matt Roberts
      386-679-1986

      Sent from my iPhone using VoiceOver

      On Jan 4, 2011, at 11:48 AM, "johnstark" <johnstark@...> wrote:

      > You sure about that, I don't know of ANY dispatch center that doesn't do at
      > the least weekly alert testing. Some here even do daily tests and one does
      > morning and evening tests. Where I dispatched we did weekly tests of the
      > entire county as did the county. We were the backup dispatch for county fire
      > and EMS.
      >
      > John

    • RobertKlamp
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2011
        Mr. stark is right about that the tone decoded by the scanner is usually off by a few Hz i have always used a list to find the exact tone or tone pair. Theirs a few things working against you when searching for tones the scanner is wide band so there could and probably is some distortion to the signal from a third party source that you mite not even notice that is leaking into the frequency your searching out tones on and that could cause tone deviation as to where its off a few Hz also nothing decodes perfectly the only reason it finds the exact PL or DPL if you're searching is because they are a set tone they never change and are preprogrammed into the radios memory so even if a PL/DPL is off a little the scanner can revert to its closest correct tone with fire tone out searches the tones are not programmed into memory there are just to many of them used in to many different combinations so what you're scanner decodes may not be exactly correct which is why looking up the proper tone will help you with fire tone out because you may actually miss some calls if the tone you decoded deviated to much from the actual tone.

        Hope this helps some to understand,
        Bob

        Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 5, 2011
          In my area, testing is rare anymore. Only two counties out of five to
          any scheduled testing - one tests once every month and the other tests
          departments weekly, but only for maybe 10 of the close to 200
          departments. That's only because they were grandfathered from older
          dispatch centers, I think.

          Any dispatch center will test upon demand, however.

          Joe M.

          johnstark wrote:
          > You sure about that, I don't know of ANY dispatch center that doesn't do at
          > the least weekly alert testing. Some here even do daily tests and one does
          > morning and evening tests. Where I dispatched we did weekly tests of the
          > entire county as did the county. We were the backup dispatch for county fire
          > and EMS.
          >
          > John

        • Walter Jinright
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 5, 2011
            Joe is right, here in N.W. FL, Escambia County, FL does NO pager test unless
            requested, Santa Rosa County, FL ONLY does a daily test for the city of Milton,
            FL daily, ALL other by request ONLY.

            Walter
            (Former Comms Major/Dispatcher in Escambia County, FL)

            ________________________________

            johnstark wrote:
            > You sure about that, I don't know of ANY dispatch center that doesn't do at
            > the least weekly alert testing. Some here even do daily tests and one does
            > morning and evening tests. Where I dispatched we did weekly tests of the
            > entire county as did the county. We were the backup dispatch for county fire
            > and EMS.
            >
            > John

          • Webbtown18
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 6, 2011
              Check out this link from radio reference. http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Escambia_County_(FL)#Escambia_County_Fire_Tone-Outs

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Walter Jinright <ipnfla124@...> wrote:

              > Joe is right, here in N.W. FL, Escambia County, FL does NO pager test unless
              > requested, Santa Rosa County, FL ONLY does a daily test for the city of Milton,
              > FL daily, ALL other by request ONLY.
              >
              > Walter
              > (Former Comms Major/Dispatcher in Escambia County, FL)
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Webbtown18
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2011
                [Moderator edit: Link formatted to standards. Always put the link in <> when posting. It should not break if you do]

                Sorry link didn't work see if this works if not cut and past it. It shows tones for pagers.

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Webbtown18" <KC2PPE@...> wrote:

                > Check out this link from radio reference. http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Escambia_County_(FL)#Escambia_County_Fire_Tone-Outs
                >
                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Walter Jinright <ipnfla124@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Joe is right, here in N.W. FL, Escambia County, FL does NO pager test unless
                > > requested, Santa Rosa County, FL ONLY does a daily test for the city of Milton,
                > > FL daily, ALL other by request ONLY.
                > >
                > > Walter
                > > (Former Comms Major/Dispatcher in Escambia County, FL)

              • Walter Jinright
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 7, 2011
                  Ok,
                  I don't understand your point? I am the one that listed the Tones for Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties. And even though the tones are listed, does not mean they do pager tests daily, weekly, monthly or even yearly... as I stated. Tone-out pagers are tested on request by a STATION OFFICER ONLY!

                  I also put the Santa Rosa County, FL Pager Tones on RR Wiki, as well. As I said, I was an alerting officer/dispatcher for about 10 years here. Lt. for 2 and Major (Commander of Comms.), for 1 year at a local agency. Bob Boschen is the Escambia County, FL Communications Chief at this time and has been for some time. Email him if you do not believe me!

                  Walter