Fire Tone-Out

  • Matt Roberts
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2011
      I will be purchasing a BCD396XT scanner in the next week.
      I'm interested in the Fire Tone-Out feature. I want to set the scanner to activate only for my local fire station. I don't know the tone frequencies that are used. I read in the manual about the tone search mode. The manual states you put "0" in A and B, and that will initiate the search. When the tone is received you want to program, you press "E." The question is how long do I have to press "E" once the tone is received? Can I monitor the frequency during search mode, and when the right tone is received store it?

      Matt Roberts blindbiker@...
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
        As long as you have to press it for any other function (way less than
        one second).

        No - the unit is muted until it decodes a tone or tone set.

        Joe M.

        Matt Roberts wrote:

        > The question is how long do I have to press "E" once the tone is received? Can I monitor the frequency during search mode, and when the right tone is received store it?
      • johnstark
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
          You will recieve any and all tone outs that occur while in FTO search mode.
          You have about 30 seconds I think after an alert (before it automaticaly
          resets) after they finish talking to press E to save the tones. Unless the
          station you want is really busy you could be waiting a while. The best way
          to get one o two departments tones is to do it when they do their daily or
          weekly test whichever they do.

          >I will be purchasing a BCD396XT scanner in the next week.
          > I'm interested in the Fire Tone-Out feature. I want to set the scanner to
          > activate only for my local fire station. I don't know the tone
          > frequencies that are used. I read in the manual about the tone search
          > mode. The manual states you put "0" in A and B, and that will initiate the
          > search. When the tone is received you want to program, you press "E." The
          > question is how long do I have to press "E" once the tone is received? Can
          > I monitor the frequency during search mode, and when the right tone is
          > received store it?
          >
          > Matt Roberts blindbiker@...

        • Matt Roberts
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
            On Jan 3, 2011, at 6:41 AM, johnstark wrote:

            > You will recieve any and all tone outs that occur while in FTO search mode.
            > You have about 30 seconds I think after an alert (before it automaticaly
            > resets) after they finish talking to press E to save the tones. Unless the
            > station you want is really busy you could be waiting a while. The best way
            > to get one o two departments tones is to do it when they do their daily or
            > weekly test whichever they do.

            They don't do any kind of testing here. You just have to wait till the station you want is called.

            Matt Roberts blindbiker@...
          • K8DNE
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
              Joe and John are both correct, as usual. However, in the tone search
              mode, some/most of the time the tone frequency received is not exactly
              in the middle of the tone, if you will. In other words it is just a
              few cycles above or below the specified tone frequency.

              <http://www.genave.com/mot_quick_call_2.htm> (2-tone paging)

              <http://www.genave.com/mot_quick_call_1.htm> (single tone paging)

              Conclusion: Read the tone frequency that the tone search has
              presented. Then, just look at one of the lists above to find the EXACT
              tone frequency to enter into the radio.

              whr

              --
              Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

              Admiral W H Reynolds, K8DNE
              Chief - Advisor, Rowlett RACES Unit-801
            • Lance Star
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011
                You can also hit the HOLD button to toggle between tone-out search mode and tone-out hold mode (allows you to monitor traffic on the frequency you programmed)

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 4, 2011
                  You sure about that, I don't know of ANY dispatch center that doesn't do at
                  the least weekly alert testing. Some here even do daily tests and one does
                  morning and evening tests. Where I dispatched we did weekly tests of the
                  entire county as did the county. We were the backup dispatch for county fire
                  and EMS.

                  > On Jan 3, 2011, at 6:41 AM, johnstark wrote:
                  >
                  >> You will recieve any and all tone outs that occur while in FTO search
                  >> mode.
                  >> You have about 30 seconds I think after an alert (before it automaticaly
                  >> resets) after they finish talking to press E to save the tones. Unless
                  >> the
                  >> station you want is really busy you could be waiting a while. The best
                  >> way
                  >> to get one o two departments tones is to do it when they do their daily
                  >> or
                  >> weekly test whichever they do.
                  >
                  > They don't do any kind of testing here. You just have to wait till the
                  > station you want is called.
                  >

                  > Matt Roberts blindbiker@...

                • Lance Star
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2011
                    The radio searches and decodes tones sucessfully.
                    Seems like looking at a chart afterward is an unnecessary step for
                    final programming...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2011
                      Depends, most of the time I find my units are slightly off on the decode,
                      good enough to work, yes, but more accurate tone setting from chart woks
                      much better. Also, in the cases of a few tones used here they are
                      non-standard tones and not on the list.
                      For me it's a mute issue though as I get a list each time the county
                      changes it's tones (rare) so I always hae up to date tones for all the
                      fire/EMS in the county.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2011
                        In Volusia county Florida, no testing is done.

                        Matt Roberts
                        386-679-1986

                        Sent from my iPhone using VoiceOver

                        On Jan 4, 2011, at 11:48 AM, "johnstark" <johnstark@...> wrote:

                        > You sure about that, I don't know of ANY dispatch center that doesn't do at
                        > the least weekly alert testing. Some here even do daily tests and one does
                        > morning and evening tests. Where I dispatched we did weekly tests of the
                        > entire county as did the county. We were the backup dispatch for county fire
                        > and EMS.
                        >
                        > John

                      • RobertKlamp
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 4, 2011
                          Mr. stark is right about that the tone decoded by the scanner is usually off by a few Hz i have always used a list to find the exact tone or tone pair. Theirs a few things working against you when searching for tones the scanner is wide band so there could and probably is some distortion to the signal from a third party source that you mite not even notice that is leaking into the frequency your searching out tones on and that could cause tone deviation as to where its off a few Hz also nothing decodes perfectly the only reason it finds the exact PL or DPL if you're searching is because they are a set tone they never change and are preprogrammed into the radios memory so even if a PL/DPL is off a little the scanner can revert to its closest correct tone with fire tone out searches the tones are not programmed into memory there are just to many of them used in to many different combinations so what you're scanner decodes may not be exactly correct which is why looking up the proper tone will help you with fire tone out because you may actually miss some calls if the tone you decoded deviated to much from the actual tone.

                          Hope this helps some to understand,
                          Bob

                          Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 5, 2011
                            In my area, testing is rare anymore. Only two counties out of five to
                            any scheduled testing - one tests once every month and the other tests
                            departments weekly, but only for maybe 10 of the close to 200
                            departments. That's only because they were grandfathered from older
                            dispatch centers, I think.

                            Any dispatch center will test upon demand, however.

                            Joe M.

                            johnstark wrote:
                            > You sure about that, I don't know of ANY dispatch center that doesn't do at
                            > the least weekly alert testing. Some here even do daily tests and one does
                            > morning and evening tests. Where I dispatched we did weekly tests of the
                            > entire county as did the county. We were the backup dispatch for county fire
                            > and EMS.
                            >
                            > John

                          • Walter Jinright
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 5, 2011
                              Joe is right, here in N.W. FL, Escambia County, FL does NO pager test unless
                              requested, Santa Rosa County, FL ONLY does a daily test for the city of Milton,
                              FL daily, ALL other by request ONLY.

                              Walter
                              (Former Comms Major/Dispatcher in Escambia County, FL)

                              ________________________________

                              johnstark wrote:
                              > You sure about that, I don't know of ANY dispatch center that doesn't do at
                              > the least weekly alert testing. Some here even do daily tests and one does
                              > morning and evening tests. Where I dispatched we did weekly tests of the
                              > entire county as did the county. We were the backup dispatch for county fire
                              > and EMS.
                              >
                              > John

                            • Webbtown18
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 6, 2011
                                Check out this link from radio reference. http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Escambia_County_(FL)#Escambia_County_Fire_Tone-Outs

                                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Walter Jinright <ipnfla124@...> wrote:

                                > Joe is right, here in N.W. FL, Escambia County, FL does NO pager test unless
                                > requested, Santa Rosa County, FL ONLY does a daily test for the city of Milton,
                                > FL daily, ALL other by request ONLY.
                                >
                                > Walter
                                > (Former Comms Major/Dispatcher in Escambia County, FL)
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • Webbtown18
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 6, 2011
                                  [Moderator edit: Link formatted to standards. Always put the link in <> when posting. It should not break if you do]

                                  Sorry link didn't work see if this works if not cut and past it. It shows tones for pagers.

                                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Webbtown18" <KC2PPE@...> wrote:

                                  > Check out this link from radio reference. http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Escambia_County_(FL)#Escambia_County_Fire_Tone-Outs
                                  >
                                  > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Walter Jinright <ipnfla124@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Joe is right, here in N.W. FL, Escambia County, FL does NO pager test unless
                                  > > requested, Santa Rosa County, FL ONLY does a daily test for the city of Milton,
                                  > > FL daily, ALL other by request ONLY.
                                  > >
                                  > > Walter
                                  > > (Former Comms Major/Dispatcher in Escambia County, FL)

                                • Walter Jinright
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 7, 2011
                                    Ok,
                                    I don't understand your point? I am the one that listed the Tones for Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties. And even though the tones are listed, does not mean they do pager tests daily, weekly, monthly or even yearly... as I stated. Tone-out pagers are tested on request by a STATION OFFICER ONLY!

                                    I also put the Santa Rosa County, FL Pager Tones on RR Wiki, as well. As I said, I was an alerting officer/dispatcher for about 10 years here. Lt. for 2 and Major (Commander of Comms.), for 1 year at a local agency. Bob Boschen is the Escambia County, FL Communications Chief at this time and has been for some time. Email him if you do not believe me!

                                    Walter