Re: Same 396XT Same freqs but Different Trunk Strengths

  • Shelley Sheahan
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
      Jeff,

      I've encountered this a couple of times here in our area (yours and mine).
      Both times it wasn't our radio or settings - it's the dispatch station
      itself. Creve Coeur is an excellent example of a department with "low
      volume". Frequently it can difficult to clearly hear their dispatches. It
      doesn't matter what radio you use or what settings you change, etc. - it's
      very possible it's the station with the problem, not your radio.

      Shell

    • dataman60435
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
        Just a note if you press F + 5 it increases the volume one notch which can change the same freqy volume....

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Shelley Sheahan" <shelleysh1@...> wrote:

        > Jeff,
        >

        > I've encountered this a couple of times here in our area (yours and mine).
        > Both times it wasn't our radio or settings - it's the dispatch station
        > itself. Creve Coeur is an excellent example of a department with "low
        > volume". Frequently it can difficult to clearly hear their dispatches. It
        > doesn't matter what radio you use or what settings you change, etc. - it's
        > very possible it's the station with the problem, not your radio.
        >

        > Shell

      • gohogger525
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 12, 2010
          Hi

          THANKS everyone for suggestions and ideas - much appreciated for your help and feedback!

          I suggested a few of the things and we tried a few of the things like the att and the volume and the FM or NFM and it his scanner still is weaker than mine in receiving trunking signals. Also tried his set up into my scanner - I still got max of 5!!!

          Just had a crazy thought...we never looked at the batteries - I have the NiMH with 2300 mA - not sure what he is using - could this be the problem???

          Robbie

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 12, 2010
            Doubt it's the batteries, but it would be interesting to compare them.

            Also check the firmware version. One may simply be reading higher than
            the other.

            Joe M.

            gohogger525 wrote:
            > Hi
            >
            > THANKS everyone for suggestions and ideas - much appreciated for your help and feedback!
            >
            > I suggested a few of the things and we tried a few of the things like the att and the volume and the FM or NFM and it his scanner still is weaker than mine in receiving trunking signals. Also tried his set up into my scanner - I still got max of 5!!!
            >
            > Just had a crazy thought...we never looked at the batteries - I have the NiMH with 2300 mA - not sure what he is using - could this be the problem???
            >
            > Robbie

            >> A couple...
            >>
            >> 1. Make sure his Attenuator is not enabled.
            >>
            >> 2. Is it possible he is hearing a distant site? If so, the only way to
            >> solve that is to set it up so all Sites are in all Systems (if multiple
            >> Systems are set up for different agencies or different areas or
            >> different interests)
            >>
            >> Basically, yes, I would say it's a difference in the way the scanners
            >> are set up.
            >>
            >> If you have some software, save his configuration, then load yours into
            >> his scanner and see if there is the same signal difference. If not, then
            >> it is definitely in the config of the scanner.
            >>
            >> Joe M.
            >>
            >> gohogger525 wrote:
            >>> Hi:
            >>>
            >>> My 396XT pulls in trunking site strengths at the max 5 bands when using an external rooftop watson ant and also the same strengths when using it handheld with a watson ant. A friend of mine has the exact same model, ants, and bought it a month after I got mine. We monitor the same trunking freqs yet he only gets 2-3 bands for the strength monitor.
            >>>
            >>> Could this be something to do with the way he has set up his sites - me, I gotta hear it all whereas he has selective listening for one site for each group.
            >>>
            >>> Any thoughts??? Thanks
            >>>
            >>> Robbie

          • Nick Marsh
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 12, 2010
              > Just had a crazy thought...we never looked at the batteries - I have the
              > NiMH with 2300 mA - not sure what he is using - could this be the
              > problem???
              >
              > Robbie

              Battery size and/or rating should not have any affect on signal strength.
              The signal meter is a relative indication of signal only, can you physically
              hear any signal difference? Are you both using the same antenna? Did you
              try swapping antennas?

              The only true way to find out is put each radio on a test bench with a
              calibrated input signal and check the receiver sensitivity in various
              places, looking at the "s-meter" will just serve to drive you nuts.

              Nick
              WB4SQI
              Cincinnati
            • Jeffry Rehm
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 12, 2010
                I don't know if this is an option for trunking systems but, have you looked at the "volume offset" settings? I had a particular frequency loaded into two different systems and there was a definite difference in the audible volume. It turned out I had the 'volume offset" on one set as +2 and the other was the default of 0. Might be worth a try.

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 12, 2010
                  I think you're mixing two threads. A volume offset will not change the
                  S-meter reading. There was someone else posting that certain channels
                  are more loud than the same channels in different banks.

                  Joe M.