Re: [BCD396XT] windows 7 and serial port nightmares

  • johnstark
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
      If nothing else you can buy a used (refurb) computer from Tiger Direct that
      has serial ports for $100 and up. I have two I use for scanner control, ones
      been going almost 2 years non-stop. They ae cheap and have both serial and
      USB ports, and they have either XP Pro or Vista or no OS versions as well.

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
        Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit??? Just curious.

        I have a new HP Pavilion laptop and have been having an issue with the
        drivers all of them and both a generic cable and USB-1 on Windows 7 64-bit.
        All cables work fine on my Windows XP desktop.

        I have tried the drivers from prolific directly as well as the ones provided
        on the ScanMasters link.

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
          Have you check HP for system driver updates. I believe you're having a
          problem but I'm running a HP e9237 desktop w/64 bit Win7 and so far no
          problems.

          From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
            Hi Peter,

            I'm familiar with Tim's problem (not personally with Tim) but have seen it on a couple of other HP *LAPTOPS* - laptops being one the keywords here and the 64 bit v. of Sys 7 being the other. The only effective solution to the problem I've found is not to use an adapter. I don't want to be rude here but it is clearly more simple to purchase the Uniden part, download their copy of the Prolific driver (which does work with the 64bit Sys 7) and go from there. The desktops (HP included) have been working just fine and most all, even today, still have serial ports.

            Shell

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Duffy" <pduffy211@...> wrote:

            > Have you check HP for system driver updates. I believe you're having a
            > problem but I'm running a HP e9237 desktop w/64 bit Win7 and so far no
            > problems.

          • Tim Woodward
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
              lol I like the (not personally) part, as I stated I have the Uniden cable
              and still have the communication issue I described with ARC-XT.
              I've been starting to think that it's a firmware issue with the Usb ports.

              Oh well I can program my scanner on another machine but the engineer in me
              wants to know why I can't use my laptop, obviously the laptop is a more
              convenient choice when it works. : )

              I talked to someone at Butel as I stated and they said that they weren't
              aware of any issues and that it's just normal rs-232 comms.
              I can't help thinking that it's related in someway to the 64-bit
              implementation of the usb port or maybe the machine an HP Pavilion DV6.

              Can someone confirm Windows 7 64-bit Laptop ARC-XT using the USB-1 cable to
              the scanner, if so which driver version down to the build would be greatly
              appreciated.
              I have tried all the drivers from ScanMasters aka Uniden sanctioned and from
              the Prolific site as well.
              It was a while ago so that is why I would like to know the exact version.

              Thanks,
              Tim

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                Do you have the same issue with other SW packages? That might help
                narrow down the cause being the PC, the OS, or the SW.

                Joe M.

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                  Hey Joe,

                  Curiously not with FreeScan but yes with Arc-xt and not all the time, mostly
                  on large data downloads like trying to read the origional data that comes
                  installed on the scanner.

                  thanks

                  Tim Woodward wrote:
                  > lol I like the (not personally) part, as I stated I have the Uniden
                  cable
                  > and still have the communication issue I described with ARC-XT.
                  > I've been starting to think that it's a firmware issue with the Usb
                  ports.

                  > Oh well I can program my scanner on another machine but the engineer in
                  me
                  > wants to know why I can't use my laptop, obviously the laptop is a more
                  > convenient choice when it works. : )
                  >
                  > I talked to someone at Butel as I stated and they said that they weren't
                  > aware of any issues and that it's just normal rs-232 comms.
                  > I can't help thinking that it's related in someway to the 64-bit
                  > implementation of the usb port or maybe the machine an HP Pavilion DV6.
                  >
                  > Can someone confirm Windows 7 64-bit Laptop ARC-XT using the USB-1 cable
                  > the scanner, if so which driver version down to the build would be
                  greatly
                  > appreciated.
                  > I have tried all the drivers from ScanMasters aka Uniden sanctioned and
                  from
                  > the Prolific site as well.
                  > It was a while ago so that is why I would like to know the exact
                  version.

                  > Thanks,
                  > Tim

                  12/07/10

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                    If you've never seen the issue with FreeScan, that would seem to rule
                    out any issues with the PC or OS.

                    Joe M.

                  • Tim Woodward
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                      I know that seems like the simple answer except that Butel claims it's not
                      doing anything special.
                      That's where I'm at . . .

                      Tim Woodward wrote:
                      > Hey Joe,
                      >
                      > Curiously not with FreeScan but yes with Arc-xt and not all the time,
                      mostly
                      > on large data downloads like trying to read the origional data that
                      comes
                      > installed on the scanner.
                      >
                      > thanks

                      03/14/10
                      > 02:33:00

                    • Peter Duffy
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                        Have you tried slowing down the baud a little on the port and radio? Just
                        brainstorming. Duff

                        <mailto:nmar@...%20%3cmailto:nmar%40earthlink.net>

                        <mailto:jeffrey_schiller@...%0b>

                        03/14/10
                        > 02:33:00

                      • Peter Duffy
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                          I agree that probably is the easiest solution. I have had some issues with
                          ports on the HP laptops which is why I mentioned the drivers. I use the
                          laptops at work with various vehicle diagnostic programs and gave up with
                          converters. It was just easier to buy the manufacture USB interface device
                          in the long run. Of course that wasn't my money. ;)

                          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , "Peter
                          Duffy" <pduffy211@...> wrote:

                          > Have you check HP for system driver updates. I believe you're having a
                          > problem but I'm running a HP e9237 desktop w/64 bit Win7 and so far no
                          > problems.
                          >

                          > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                          Behalf
                          > Of Tim Woodward
                          > Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:51 PM
                          > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] windows 7 and serial port nightmares
                          >

                          > I can vouch for the fact that this problem is not a ghost and feel for
                          > anyone that gets told that it's in your head.
                          > Even went down the road with Butel for their Arcxt software they haven't
                          > heard of any issued with Windows 7.
                          >
                          > There is a problem with somewhere between Windows 7 64-bit, the scanner
                          and
                          > software and maybe that is where some are saying it works fine in Windows
                          7,
                          > it does in 32-bit.
                          >
                          > I had a generic USB converter with the prolific chipset and tried every
                          > driver possible, installing, testing uninstalling etc etc.
                          > I then bought the sanctioned Uniden cable and had the same exact issue
                          with
                          > every driver.
                          > Both failures were on a new HP laptop with Windows 7 64-bit installed.
                          >
                          > All cables rs-232 direct, generic usb and Uniden USB-1 cables worked just
                          > fine on Windows XP pc.
                          >
                          > My Situation (still unresolved!) I can use the pc upstairs but really want
                          > to use my new laptop.
                          >
                          > For me the problem arises when attempting to transfer large amounts of
                          data,
                          > like downloading the origional data that comes installed on the scanner.
                          >
                          > FreeScan worked in this situation so I know some will say just use
                          FreeScan
                          > and I can, I am more familar with Arc-XT and want to get that working.
                          > Note: I am not promoting either software, more or less just saying that
                          > there is something real here.
                          >
                          > With Arc-xt and my new HP Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit, I could sometimes
                          > upload or download a small amount of data like a single group.
                          > The problem arises when I attempt to download a large amount of data, it
                          > starts off normal and you can see it counting up the scanner data but then
                          > locks up,
                          > after an extended period of time the application gives a communication
                          > error, you are forced to quit by forcing the app closed.
                          >
                          > Tim

                        • tcappetti
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                            I had the same problem with mine. I slowed the baudrate to 19200 matched it on the XT and it worked just fine.

                            Sent from my iPhone4