Re: [BCD396XT] windows 7 and serial port nightmares

  • johnstark
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
      If nothing else you can buy a used (refurb) computer from Tiger Direct that
      has serial ports for $100 and up. I have two I use for scanner control, ones
      been going almost 2 years non-stop. They ae cheap and have both serial and
      USB ports, and they have either XP Pro or Vista or no OS versions as well.

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
        That is not necessary when using the latest drivers for the USB-1 and other
        models that use the Prolific chipset.

        http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/USB-1Drivers

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
          Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit??? Just curious.

          I have a new HP Pavilion laptop and have been having an issue with the
          drivers all of them and both a generic cable and USB-1 on Windows 7 64-bit.
          All cables work fine on my Windows XP desktop.

          I have tried the drivers from prolific directly as well as the ones provided
          on the ScanMasters link.

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
            Have you check HP for system driver updates. I believe you're having a
            problem but I'm running a HP e9237 desktop w/64 bit Win7 and so far no
            problems.

            From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
              Hi Peter,

              I'm familiar with Tim's problem (not personally with Tim) but have seen it on a couple of other HP *LAPTOPS* - laptops being one the keywords here and the 64 bit v. of Sys 7 being the other. The only effective solution to the problem I've found is not to use an adapter. I don't want to be rude here but it is clearly more simple to purchase the Uniden part, download their copy of the Prolific driver (which does work with the 64bit Sys 7) and go from there. The desktops (HP included) have been working just fine and most all, even today, still have serial ports.

              Shell

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                lol I like the (not personally) part, as I stated I have the Uniden cable
                and still have the communication issue I described with ARC-XT.
                I've been starting to think that it's a firmware issue with the Usb ports.

                Oh well I can program my scanner on another machine but the engineer in me
                wants to know why I can't use my laptop, obviously the laptop is a more
                convenient choice when it works. : )

                I talked to someone at Butel as I stated and they said that they weren't
                aware of any issues and that it's just normal rs-232 comms.
                I can't help thinking that it's related in someway to the 64-bit
                implementation of the usb port or maybe the machine an HP Pavilion DV6.

                Can someone confirm Windows 7 64-bit Laptop ARC-XT using the USB-1 cable to
                the scanner, if so which driver version down to the build would be greatly
                appreciated.
                I have tried all the drivers from ScanMasters aka Uniden sanctioned and from
                the Prolific site as well.
                It was a while ago so that is why I would like to know the exact version.

                Thanks,
                Tim

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                  Do you have the same issue with other SW packages? That might help
                  narrow down the cause being the PC, the OS, or the SW.

                  Joe M.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                    Hey Joe,

                    Curiously not with FreeScan but yes with Arc-xt and not all the time, mostly
                    on large data downloads like trying to read the origional data that comes
                    installed on the scanner.

                    thanks

                    Tim Woodward wrote:
                    > lol I like the (not personally) part, as I stated I have the Uniden
                    cable
                    > and still have the communication issue I described with ARC-XT.
                    > I've been starting to think that it's a firmware issue with the Usb
                    ports.

                    > Oh well I can program my scanner on another machine but the engineer in
                    me
                    > wants to know why I can't use my laptop, obviously the laptop is a more
                    > convenient choice when it works. : )
                    >
                    > I talked to someone at Butel as I stated and they said that they weren't
                    > aware of any issues and that it's just normal rs-232 comms.
                    > I can't help thinking that it's related in someway to the 64-bit
                    > implementation of the usb port or maybe the machine an HP Pavilion DV6.
                    >
                    > Can someone confirm Windows 7 64-bit Laptop ARC-XT using the USB-1 cable
                    > the scanner, if so which driver version down to the build would be
                    greatly
                    > appreciated.
                    > I have tried all the drivers from ScanMasters aka Uniden sanctioned and
                    from
                    > the Prolific site as well.
                    > It was a while ago so that is why I would like to know the exact
                    version.

                    > Thanks,
                    > Tim

                    12/07/10

                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                      If you've never seen the issue with FreeScan, that would seem to rule
                      out any issues with the PC or OS.

                      Joe M.

                    • Tim Woodward
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                        I know that seems like the simple answer except that Butel claims it's not
                        doing anything special.
                        That's where I'm at . . .

                        Tim Woodward wrote:
                        > Hey Joe,
                        >
                        > Curiously not with FreeScan but yes with Arc-xt and not all the time,
                        mostly
                        > on large data downloads like trying to read the origional data that
                        comes
                        > installed on the scanner.
                        >
                        > thanks

                        03/14/10
                        > 02:33:00

                      • Peter Duffy
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                          Have you tried slowing down the baud a little on the port and radio? Just
                          brainstorming. Duff

                          <mailto:nmar@...%20%3cmailto:nmar%40earthlink.net>

                          <mailto:jeffrey_schiller@...%0b>

                          03/14/10
                          > 02:33:00

                        • Peter Duffy
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                            I agree that probably is the easiest solution. I have had some issues with
                            ports on the HP laptops which is why I mentioned the drivers. I use the
                            laptops at work with various vehicle diagnostic programs and gave up with
                            converters. It was just easier to buy the manufacture USB interface device
                            in the long run. Of course that wasn't my money. ;)

                            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , "Peter
                            Duffy" <pduffy211@...> wrote:

                            > Have you check HP for system driver updates. I believe you're having a
                            > problem but I'm running a HP e9237 desktop w/64 bit Win7 and so far no
                            > problems.
                            >

                            > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                            Behalf
                            > Of Tim Woodward
                            > Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:51 PM
                            > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] windows 7 and serial port nightmares
                            >

                            > I can vouch for the fact that this problem is not a ghost and feel for
                            > anyone that gets told that it's in your head.
                            > Even went down the road with Butel for their Arcxt software they haven't
                            > heard of any issued with Windows 7.
                            >
                            > There is a problem with somewhere between Windows 7 64-bit, the scanner
                            and
                            > software and maybe that is where some are saying it works fine in Windows
                            7,
                            > it does in 32-bit.
                            >
                            > I had a generic USB converter with the prolific chipset and tried every
                            > driver possible, installing, testing uninstalling etc etc.
                            > I then bought the sanctioned Uniden cable and had the same exact issue
                            with
                            > every driver.
                            > Both failures were on a new HP laptop with Windows 7 64-bit installed.
                            >
                            > All cables rs-232 direct, generic usb and Uniden USB-1 cables worked just
                            > fine on Windows XP pc.
                            >
                            > My Situation (still unresolved!) I can use the pc upstairs but really want
                            > to use my new laptop.
                            >
                            > For me the problem arises when attempting to transfer large amounts of
                            data,
                            > like downloading the origional data that comes installed on the scanner.
                            >
                            > FreeScan worked in this situation so I know some will say just use
                            FreeScan
                            > and I can, I am more familar with Arc-XT and want to get that working.
                            > Note: I am not promoting either software, more or less just saying that
                            > there is something real here.
                            >
                            > With Arc-xt and my new HP Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit, I could sometimes
                            > upload or download a small amount of data like a single group.
                            > The problem arises when I attempt to download a large amount of data, it
                            > starts off normal and you can see it counting up the scanner data but then
                            > locks up,
                            > after an extended period of time the application gives a communication
                            > error, you are forced to quit by forcing the app closed.
                            >
                            > Tim

                          • tcappetti
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                              I had the same problem with mine. I slowed the baudrate to 19200 matched it on the XT and it worked just fine.

                              Sent from my iPhone4