RE: [BCD396XT] windows 7 and serial port nightmares

  • Tim Woodward
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
      I can vouch for the fact that this problem is not a ghost and feel for
      anyone that gets told that it's in your head.
      Even went down the road with Butel for their Arcxt software they haven't
      heard of any issued with Windows 7.

      There is a problem with somewhere between Windows 7 64-bit, the scanner and
      software and maybe that is where some are saying it works fine in Windows 7,
      it does in 32-bit.

      I had a generic USB converter with the prolific chipset and tried every
      driver possible, installing, testing uninstalling etc etc.
      I then bought the sanctioned Uniden cable and had the same exact issue with
      every driver.
      Both failures were on a new HP laptop with Windows 7 64-bit installed.

      All cables rs-232 direct, generic usb and Uniden USB-1 cables worked just
      fine on Windows XP pc.

      My Situation (still unresolved!) I can use the pc upstairs but really want
      to use my new laptop.

      For me the problem arises when attempting to transfer large amounts of data,
      like downloading the origional data that comes installed on the scanner.

      FreeScan worked in this situation so I know some will say just use FreeScan
      and I can, I am more familar with Arc-XT and want to get that working.
      Note: I am not promoting either software, more or less just saying that
      there is something real here.

      With Arc-xt and my new HP Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit, I could sometimes
      upload or download a small amount of data like a single group.
      The problem arises when I attempt to download a large amount of data, it
      starts off normal and you can see it counting up the scanner data but then
      locks up,
      after an extended period of time the application gives a communication
      error, you are forced to quit by forcing the app closed.

      Tim

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
        If nothing else you can buy a used (refurb) computer from Tiger Direct that
        has serial ports for $100 and up. I have two I use for scanner control, ones
        been going almost 2 years non-stop. They ae cheap and have both serial and
        USB ports, and they have either XP Pro or Vista or no OS versions as well.

        > Im assuming by the messages I see in other forums I am not the only one
        > with the following issue
        >
        > I purchased my new 396xt aboiut a year ago and it came with the serial
        > port cable well thanks to Microsoft ......all the new pc's with windows 7
        > do not have serial ports and it seems hit and miss on getting
        > those aftermarket converter cables to work.....
        >
        > I have a RS 323 or 232 ??? and there is no windows 7 driver for this
        >
        > Ideas?

      • Paul Opitz
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
          That is not necessary when using the latest drivers for the USB-1 and other
          models that use the Prolific chipset.

          http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/USB-1Drivers

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
            Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit??? Just curious.

            I have a new HP Pavilion laptop and have been having an issue with the
            drivers all of them and both a generic cable and USB-1 on Windows 7 64-bit.
            All cables work fine on my Windows XP desktop.

            I have tried the drivers from prolific directly as well as the ones provided
            on the ScanMasters link.

            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
              Have you check HP for system driver updates. I believe you're having a
              problem but I'm running a HP e9237 desktop w/64 bit Win7 and so far no
              problems.

            • shelleysh1@att.net
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                Hi Peter,

                I'm familiar with Tim's problem (not personally with Tim) but have seen it on a couple of other HP *LAPTOPS* - laptops being one the keywords here and the 64 bit v. of Sys 7 being the other. The only effective solution to the problem I've found is not to use an adapter. I don't want to be rude here but it is clearly more simple to purchase the Uniden part, download their copy of the Prolific driver (which does work with the 64bit Sys 7) and go from there. The desktops (HP included) have been working just fine and most all, even today, still have serial ports.

                Shell

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                  lol I like the (not personally) part, as I stated I have the Uniden cable
                  and still have the communication issue I described with ARC-XT.
                  I've been starting to think that it's a firmware issue with the Usb ports.

                  Oh well I can program my scanner on another machine but the engineer in me
                  wants to know why I can't use my laptop, obviously the laptop is a more
                  convenient choice when it works. : )

                  I talked to someone at Butel as I stated and they said that they weren't
                  aware of any issues and that it's just normal rs-232 comms.
                  I can't help thinking that it's related in someway to the 64-bit
                  implementation of the usb port or maybe the machine an HP Pavilion DV6.

                  Can someone confirm Windows 7 64-bit Laptop ARC-XT using the USB-1 cable to
                  the scanner, if so which driver version down to the build would be greatly
                  appreciated.
                  I have tried all the drivers from ScanMasters aka Uniden sanctioned and from
                  the Prolific site as well.
                  It was a while ago so that is why I would like to know the exact version.

                  Thanks,
                  Tim

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                    Do you have the same issue with other SW packages? That might help
                    narrow down the cause being the PC, the OS, or the SW.

                    Joe M.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                      Hey Joe,

                      Curiously not with FreeScan but yes with Arc-xt and not all the time, mostly
                      on large data downloads like trying to read the origional data that comes
                      installed on the scanner.

                      thanks

                      Tim Woodward wrote:
                      > lol I like the (not personally) part, as I stated I have the Uniden
                      cable
                      > and still have the communication issue I described with ARC-XT.
                      > I've been starting to think that it's a firmware issue with the Usb
                      ports.

                      > Oh well I can program my scanner on another machine but the engineer in
                      me
                      > wants to know why I can't use my laptop, obviously the laptop is a more
                      > convenient choice when it works. : )
                      >
                      > I talked to someone at Butel as I stated and they said that they weren't
                      > aware of any issues and that it's just normal rs-232 comms.
                      > I can't help thinking that it's related in someway to the 64-bit
                      > implementation of the usb port or maybe the machine an HP Pavilion DV6.
                      >
                      > Can someone confirm Windows 7 64-bit Laptop ARC-XT using the USB-1 cable
                      > the scanner, if so which driver version down to the build would be
                      greatly
                      > appreciated.
                      > I have tried all the drivers from ScanMasters aka Uniden sanctioned and
                      from
                      > the Prolific site as well.
                      > It was a while ago so that is why I would like to know the exact
                      version.

                      > Thanks,
                      > Tim

                      12/07/10

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                        If you've never seen the issue with FreeScan, that would seem to rule
                        out any issues with the PC or OS.

                        Joe M.

                      • Tim Woodward
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                          I know that seems like the simple answer except that Butel claims it's not
                          doing anything special.
                          That's where I'm at . . .

                          Tim Woodward wrote:
                          > Hey Joe,
                          >
                          > Curiously not with FreeScan but yes with Arc-xt and not all the time,
                          mostly
                          > on large data downloads like trying to read the origional data that
                          comes
                          > installed on the scanner.
                          >
                          > thanks

                          03/14/10
                          > 02:33:00

                        • Peter Duffy
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                            Have you tried slowing down the baud a little on the port and radio? Just
                            brainstorming. Duff

                            <mailto:nmar@...%20%3cmailto:nmar%40earthlink.net>

                            <mailto:jeffrey_schiller@...%0b>

                            03/14/10
                            > 02:33:00

                          • Peter Duffy
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                              I agree that probably is the easiest solution. I have had some issues with
                              ports on the HP laptops which is why I mentioned the drivers. I use the
                              laptops at work with various vehicle diagnostic programs and gave up with
                              converters. It was just easier to buy the manufacture USB interface device
                              in the long run. Of course that wasn't my money. ;)

                              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , "Peter
                              Duffy" <pduffy211@...> wrote:

                              > Have you check HP for system driver updates. I believe you're having a
                              > problem but I'm running a HP e9237 desktop w/64 bit Win7 and so far no
                              > problems.
                              >

                              > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                              Behalf
                              > Of Tim Woodward
                              > Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:51 PM
                              > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] windows 7 and serial port nightmares
                              >

                              > I can vouch for the fact that this problem is not a ghost and feel for
                              > anyone that gets told that it's in your head.
                              > Even went down the road with Butel for their Arcxt software they haven't
                              > heard of any issued with Windows 7.
                              >
                              > There is a problem with somewhere between Windows 7 64-bit, the scanner
                              and
                              > software and maybe that is where some are saying it works fine in Windows
                              7,
                              > it does in 32-bit.
                              >
                              > I had a generic USB converter with the prolific chipset and tried every
                              > driver possible, installing, testing uninstalling etc etc.
                              > I then bought the sanctioned Uniden cable and had the same exact issue
                              with
                              > every driver.
                              > Both failures were on a new HP laptop with Windows 7 64-bit installed.
                              >
                              > All cables rs-232 direct, generic usb and Uniden USB-1 cables worked just
                              > fine on Windows XP pc.
                              >
                              > My Situation (still unresolved!) I can use the pc upstairs but really want
                              > to use my new laptop.
                              >
                              > For me the problem arises when attempting to transfer large amounts of
                              data,
                              > like downloading the origional data that comes installed on the scanner.
                              >
                              > FreeScan worked in this situation so I know some will say just use
                              FreeScan
                              > and I can, I am more familar with Arc-XT and want to get that working.
                              > Note: I am not promoting either software, more or less just saying that
                              > there is something real here.
                              >
                              > With Arc-xt and my new HP Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit, I could sometimes
                              > upload or download a small amount of data like a single group.
                              > The problem arises when I attempt to download a large amount of data, it
                              > starts off normal and you can see it counting up the scanner data but then
                              > locks up,
                              > after an extended period of time the application gives a communication
                              > error, you are forced to quit by forcing the app closed.
                              >
                              > Tim

                            • tcappetti
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                                I had the same problem with mine. I slowed the baudrate to 19200 matched it on the XT and it worked just fine.

                                Sent from my iPhone4